Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
tommy Sir,

Thanks much for the very kind words. We both believe that life would be awfully boring if we didn't think how we can make something better. I believe I read that T.A. Edison tried around 1,500 times before finally getting a light bulb filiment to work more than a few minutes. We might all still be in the dark if it wasn't for his persistent attitude.

I think it was Einstein that said, Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration. Again thanks!!!

My DW calls me a "Putterer". No matter what we might acquire I just can't leave well enough alone.

I see you used to live in TX. If you are out and about and near the North West corner of AR we live about 10 miles East of highway I-49 very close to Beaver lake camp ground. I've got a Miller-Matic #185 wire feed welder. A SouthBend metal lathe the school district was going to throw away so I gave it a home. And a complete wood working shop. I've got room in my drive for another MH and a 30- Amp hook up. If we are home you can stop and build or fix anything you need.

Got to go to the mail box. My parts (schrader valves ) are here to finish my ping tank install. Might rap this project up today. And yes there will just be another one waiting for me. I think I'll do some of the DW's projects to keep her happy. She need a humming bird hanger installed.

Travel safe!!!

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
If you are out and about and near the North West corner of AR we live about 10 miles East of highway I-49 very close to Beaver lake camp ground. I've got a Miller-Matic #185 wire feed welder. A SouthBend metal lathe the school district was going to throw away so I gave it a home. And a complete wood working shop. I've got room in my drive for another MH and a 30- Amp hook up. If we are home you can stop and build or fix anything you need.
TeJay
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Lets see!! A 50,000 mile ride with dual rear shocks and no breakage counts for absolutely nothing?? The owner also seems very satisfied with the improved long ride. Oh well! I guess when some posters make modifications their impressions, opinions and experiences count for nothing??? I find that kind of strange.
Don't think I mentioned breaking anything, but if someone post that adding shocks can't possibly make the ride harsher for anyone ever, well sorry I want people to have the facts.

Does all the years of suspension research count for nothing? You think you guys just figured out what shocks do? How many vehicles have quad shocks? Why don't you put 8 shocks per axle on if more is better?

Getting pretty tired of people ignoring the laws of physics, do whatever you want to your RV but don't act like you know what you're talking about. The is isn't rocket science, suspension moving less means less sway and harsher bumps, the more shocks you add the the less it moves, shocks resist movement.

If you don't believe me do you believe Koni?:

"Vehicle damping has always been a compromise between comfort and road-holding. An obvious example is a Formula 1 racing car which offers the best possible road-holding but with minimal comfort. In a personal or sport car one expects to experience the ultimate in comfort, combined with safe road-holding. Minimum damping is required for your comfort whilst strong damping is needed for safe and stable driving. "

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Tech...VE_Technology/
Old 06-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
What if the one shock that is provided for all weight classes isn't right or enough for your particular chassis???? That has been mentioned before!!

Do they make an adjustable shock for the F-53 chassis so we can tweak our rides? I don't believe they do. Who is doing anything about that except maybe this thread????? What's the harm in adding one more shock per wheel??

Nobody is pretending that they know more about suspension than those trained who design it. We'd just like to change things and maybe improve the ride/handling. Is that wrong??? If we fail then we fail. If it works then it works. Even if it just works in our minds it's a win!!!! That's the cool aid discussion. We have a branch of medicine called Psychology that deals in that mind stuff. If you think it's good then it is!! Right??

I am not denying the training and knowledge. I/we are not trying to come up with an idea that will revolutionaize RV suspensions. I am tired of hearing the same stuff over and over. Guess what?? I get it. We believe you. We all get it. We have read it over and over that adding shocks will give us a harsher ride.
We are going against what the engineers/designers.

Guess what? Maybe we don't really care what the designers have done or are doing? We are enjoying ourselves by trying things that others have done. There are other threads discussing quad shocks for their RV's!!!

Just relax. Smell the roses! Laugh a little and stop trying to convince us that we don't know what we are doing. Life is way to short . Besides, what or who are we hurting?? Nobody is forcing others to do what we are doing. Nobody has to read this thread.

I think there are tons of off road trucks with crazy raised suspensions and proudly showing 2 or more shocks per wheel. Is somebody telling those guys they don't know what they are doing?? Or are they doing such weird stuff they need that many shocks per wheel??

I happen to think what they do is kind of silly. I don't tell them because they are having fun. They think it's cool!! That's what it's all about!! They are not wrong or right just having fun. My opinion does not count or matter so I keep it to myself!!.

Some of their shocks are adjustable. That would be nice for a motor home??? I'd like to adjust my shocks for a better ride as well. Oh!! Come to think about it I guess that's what we are trying to do!!!!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:44 AM   #47

Quote:
What if the one shock that is provided for all weight classes isn't right or enough for your particular chassis???? That has been mentioned before!!

Do they make an adjustable shock for the F-53 chassis so we can tweak our rides? I don't believe they do. Who is doing anything about that except maybe this thread????? What's the harm in adding one more shock per wheel??
Yes I mentioned it before! I said it in the post you chided me for that it seems Ford uses the same shock across all GVWR's!

If someone says my suspension is really mushy and has too much sway and keeps porpoising yep sounds like they are under shocked and need more dampening.

Can't find new shocks with different valving or adjustable ones then sure double them em up to double your dampening and stiffen up your suspension. It's crude since you can only double it, but may be easier than the alternatives.

If someone comes on here and says they have a rough ride and quad shocks made it softer, then I start to wonder if they know what they are talking about. If someone comes on here and says quad shocks fixed my sway and don't listen to anyone they won't make your ride harsher no matter what chassis you have, again do they know what they are talking about?

Sorry if I want to give everyone the correct facts about how suspensions work, call it a character flaw. No I don't think those guys with crazy lifted trucks are good examples to go by when trying to make your MH ride better down the road. Most of the time they are going for looks which is why you see quad shock setups other ridiculous setups.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #48

If you think they have the suspension dialed on these MH's, Sorry, you are wayyy off Base... They suck horribly.. They use the same settings on so many different models with WAYYYY different layouts and weights and leverages that it is impossible for them to be even close to right on most Models..

I havnt heard anyone on here say their ride was harsh and they doubled up the shocks to cure that..

I have heard of top body sway (Like the very tall and overloaded Outlaws) who have done the quad shock to reduce the top sway some)

Granted, it is not perfect, but if it helped, (like it did with our Outlaw) then I would not criticize anyone for doing it..

As far as packing down from too much rebound dampening? Seriously ? Its not off road racing and so far in 50,000 miles of using the quad shocks set up, I have seen nothing close to that. Very few roads have issues with them that would cause packing down.. (yes, I know of what I speak as I race off road Motorcycles and have done Hundreds of hours of suspension tuning and have 36 National titles to show for it.)

None of this would be an issue if they would have mounted heavy enough sway bars on from the factory or the RV manufacturer but they didnt... And they dont offer a large enough one aftermarket for these models yet., ( the new Ford Model has been redesigned and is Much larger)

Bob
Old 06-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #49

I noticed one of my OEM Bilsteins was leaking, so I have a set of Koni FSD’s that I’m going to put in.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob,

You are correct Ford's newest chassis 2021 has added a 2" SB but it is having the exact same issues it had with the 1999 through 2020 with the rear stabilizer bar (SB) bolt brackets coming loose and the bushings failing. In fact there are pics showing the bracket bolts failing with less than 1,000 miles. There are more tha one pics showing what is happening.

Amazing!! I don't have a lot of warm fuzzies when it comes to Fords new ideas for a better RV chassis. It falls along with the idea that one shock for 16,000, 18,000, 22,000 24,000 and 26,000 lb chassis will work just fine. How is that working out for some of you???? Do you like the ride quality?? Does it ride handle in windy conditions?? Feel like you have to much SWAY???

Tags
chassis, shocks