Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #1

Rats ate through some wiring, can someone identify?

I've been in constant struggle with rats getting into my engine, and as we were on vacation for 2 weeks i found them starting to build a nest. The only thing they damaged was this wire or tubing that is in the back of the engine and runs behind the washer fluid fill. It seems to blow out air when engine is running. Does anyone know what this is for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220807_184324.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	373115   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220807_184255.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	373116  

Lewy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #2

That's a vacuum line. It's not blowing air, it's sucking it in.
I have not the faintest clue what sort of Ford you have so can't really guess where it goes. On my (probably) older 1993 the red line goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the the injector rail. On other trucks I have seen the red line used to go to the EGR valve and on others to the vacuum reservoir. All I can think of right off. If your RV is a cutaway van type then there often is a very basic vacuum line routing diagram as a sticker on the underside of the hood. If not, relate your exact year, model, and engine and likely someone here can help more.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #3

Try your in dash air conditioner to see if it will blow air out of anywhere except the defrost vents.

If it only blows out the defrost vent, that line is going to the vacuum tank under the heater box and then inside to the center top of the dash, where it connects to the control system.
You can't access the vacuum tank without removing the fender so hopefully, you can find the end of the line back there and reconnect it.

You can reroute the line, following the antenna wire, without the tank, just add a check valve.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:12 AM   #4

Thanks. It is on a 2017 E350 with the Triton V10
Old 08-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd find a piece of rubber vacuum hose just big enough to slip over that tubing and a couple of wormgear clamps to splice it back together.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #6

So as you suspected, when running the AC it only blows from the defrost. I'm hoping I can open it up behind the glovebox and reconnect the tubing. I may need to pick up some additional tubing and connectors. Damn rats!
Old 08-09-2022, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy74 View Post
So as you suspected, when running the AC it only blows from the defrost. I'm hoping I can open it up behind the glovebox and reconnect the tubing. I may need to pick up some additional tubing and connectors. Damn rats!
There appears to be only the one hole in the plastic vacuum tube ; can you remove the chewed section from the rubber boot connector and just cut the section out and re-insert the tube into the rubber ; looks like you have extra length to play with.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:36 PM   #8

I also am in San Diego and had similar trouble with the packrats chewing up wiring. If you have comprehensive insurance coverage that should take care of the repairs - at least it did in my case. Also you can call the city's vector control office and they'll send out an inspector to advise on your infestation. It's paid for by property taxes so there is no charge for the service - a very knowledgeable guy came out to help me, left me a trap and gave me some good advice on how to reduce the number of rats on the property. Since then I've had traps by the RVs tires when it's not being used, have had no more damage. Good luck with the battle,
John in San Diego
2016 Navion G
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
There appears to be only the one hole in the plastic vacuum tube ; can you remove the chewed section from the rubber boot connector and just cut the section out and re-insert the tube into the rubber ; looks like you have extra length to play with.
When I tried something like that, I found out they'd glued the tube into the rubber adapter making it impossible to pull out the end they'd stuck in there.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring