Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
wa8yxm,
That was a good explanation of the difference between sway and wag and the fix for both. I've always had a difficult time finding the words to explain the difference. I'm used to showing kids using a toy truck or car in front of the class. Putting it into words with examples helps a lot.

I agree 100% that sway bars reduce/stop sway and track bars reduce/stop tail wag. I still believe there is some carry over from each component.
When a coach sways there is still some effect from a track bar helping to control any amount of tracking issue resulting from the sway. The same is true from the sway bar when there is some wagging of the coach. The end result is the track bar and sway bars both work together to help with the ride and handling of the coach. I believe that every coach needs everything that can be used to achieve good results. Besides it's fun to make these boxes on wheels handle better. That's part of why I own one.

Thanks,
TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #30

Actually a track bar will increase body roll because instead of the body "scooting" sideways, the bottom stays planted, so all the side force is now put directly into body roll. HOWEVER, as it turns out, when your feet stay planted, you feel more secure and the increased body roll is much more tolerated. Secondly, track bars substantially reduce the tendency to over correct, so one does not introduce as much roll or needless movement in the first place.

The easiest way for me to test if one needs track bars is to look - if you don't have them, you need them . But seriously if you can move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly and the coach does not change direction, that means the springs are absorbing the directional input from the steering. On my dads W22 chassis, the coach felt like it is lifting up, rather than changing direction. Weird feeling.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
wa8yxm,
That was a good explanation of the difference between sway and wag and the fix for both.
The words you are looking for are pitch, roll and yaw for the rotational axes
For the translational ones, surge, sway and heave.

So clearly, if you start using the correct words, and you talk about sway, things will become less clear.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
With many hours if experience in both large and model airplanes in order to better understand and explain MH movement I have compared the movement of an airplane with that of a MH. The axial movements are similar but also different. Oh well I guess if a person really wants to know they can do some studying.

TeJay
Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #33

The two biggest improvements for me onmy 2013 Winnie 35g was the rear trac bar and Bilstien front steering stabilizer. I did do the cheap handling fix and that was a major benifit as well. Drives much better now!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
RvBuzz,
Glad it's worked out for you. These beasts are so different sometimes it's difficult to know exactly what to spend your $$$$$$ on. I started with a good alignment with a little more than stock caster angle. That helps keep the steering straight ahead. It's also what causes the steering wheel to come back to center after a turn.
For your information starting in 2012 Ford used the poly rubber for the sway bar bushings. That's good because they are way better than the stock rubber. Also since you did the CHF that places a little more stress on those bushings. Just keep an eye on yours as the miles pile up. I really don't think we have much to worry about.

Happy smooth and comfortableTrails,
TeJay
Old 04-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #35

dm.akafun, I have the same unit as you do so I face the same issues while driving. I was under the impression the the JRyde all ready had the sway bars and track bars for smother ride? So my question to you is you had the steering stabilizer and track bar installed and did they change/remove some of the parts of the JRyde system?
RoadTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #36

RoadTundra, I had both the add-ons installed but there were no parts taken off to accommodate the installations. The J-Ride items Jayco put on are for ride comfort and not necessarily control. Actually the softer ride may contribute some to the handling issues a lot of us have been experiencing.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Having gone from a Class C to a Class A, the first thing I noticed was the rough ride, followed by how bad I got pushed around by the wind and trucks. I also noticed how bad the motorhome rocked from side to side when pulling out of a driveway. I first started by adding air bags which greatly improved the ride. I then added a Trac-Bar which greatly improved the being pushed around by trucks problem. I then added Hellwig sway bars (replaced the front and added the auxiliary to the rear). This again helped with the truck situation and the wind. Lastly, I added the Safe-T Plus to improve the steering. Probably spent about $3,000 in improvements, but all worth it in my opinion. Doing it step by step really showed me how each improvement provided better handling.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #38

More good discussion about improving handling. For some fun , the next thing is a list to de-code the accessories:

SWAY BAR is technically an ANTI-SWAY BAR

TRAC BAR is technically PANHARD BAR (as used on the 1887 Panhard et Levassor car)

And (for you NASCAR guys): GEAR is actually DIFFERENTIAL (a pinion gear is what is inside the differential)

Again, just for fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
What do you think:

Have someone follow you on a drive.

IF the rig is rocking side to side (Leaning left then right, then left, then right) like fans swaying side to side at a rock concert while holding up their lit bics....... SWAY BAR

If the rig is wagging side to side (not tilting but doing the shimmy) like a dog's tail.. Trac Bar

if it is doing both.. Both.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #39

One often overlooked item that bears repeating that will effect the handling of RVs is, if you pull a toad or trailer, the alignment, balance and tire pressure will have a direct relationship to the handling of the RV.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
More good discussion about improving handling. For some fun , the next thing is a list to de-code the accessories:

TRAC BAR is technically PANHARD BAR (as used on the 1887 Panhard et Levassor car)

Again, just for fun...
George, All good information, thanks.

"PANHARD" is actually the last name of the guy who invented it and did use it on the 1887 et Levassor car. When I first heard the name (Panhard) I thought is was a weird name for a Stabilizer Bar. It is down by the oil pan and it is made out of hard(er) steel but has nothing to do with any of that. It's just his last name.

TeJay
Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #41

Blue ox trac bar

Just added it to my Precept 35 Un. Made a big difference in handling. Well worth the money.
Streetrod37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #42

I know this is an old thread, but what is CHF? Thanks.
WasatchSteve is offline   Reply With Quote