Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Reflash ECU Changed Shift Pattern

Earlier in the year I had some issues with stored codes, etc.. During this process, I found my code reader was not identifying my RV properly, showing 8 vs 10 cylinders for example. I went back to stock tune (instead of 5star) and decided to go to Ford and have them reflash the ECU just to make sure everything was good to go.

Ford tech mentioned there was an update and did the reflash. Right away on leaving I new something was really different with transmission shifting. It seemed as though I still had the 5star tune installed. No more crazy downshifting at the smallest of hills.

Just finished a trip from NE TN to FL and back using only my stock tune. It seems to me that Ford has changed the shift pattern of my model for unknown reasons. On all the hill climbing, it downshifted in the same manner, 6 overdrive unlock, 6th, then down to 5th. 5th gear carried me up the hills. I am at max weight for chassis and tow a 5K minivan. Only time it dropped down to 3rd was climbing back up the Blue Ridge.

Not wanting to bash 5star at all, I had many many years of good driving using their tune. For those on the fence about using a tune, you may want to visit your local Ford place and see if your ECU is updated with the latest and greatest. It made a big difference for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

Your showing a 2006 chassis.

They didn't have 6 speeds back then.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your showing a 2006 chassis.

They didn't have 6 speeds back then.
The “TorqShift” (5R110W) is a 5 speed, rear wheel drive unit that actually has six forward speeds available, depending on hot or cold mode operation. The gear ratio for 1st gear was lowered from 2.71 to 3.09. For 2nd gear the overdrive clutch is applied to provide a ratio of 2.20. 3rd gear provides a ratio of 1.54, which is the same ratio as the previous second gear. All sound familiar? When in cold mode operation, below _15°C (5°F), determined by the TFT sensor, the overdrive clutch is engaged in 3rd gear to provide a ratio of 1.09 for 4th gear, and the transmission will shift directly into 6th gear (overdrive), which is a ratio of 0.71. In cold mode the transmission shifts 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 6th gear. When in hot mode the transmission will shift 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 5th gear (ratio 1.00), 6th gear. Either way it is still a five speed unit with six forward gear ratios available, depending on cold mode or hot mode of operation.

I can see what you are saying. I'm calling overdrive 6th. My dash display (Torque Pro) shows me at 6th gear when in overdrive.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
The “TorqShift” (5R110W) is a 5 speed, rear wheel drive unit that actually has six forward speeds available, depending on hot or cold mode operation. The gear ratio for 1st gear was lowered from 2.71 to 3.09. For 2nd gear the overdrive clutch is applied to provide a ratio of 2.20. 3rd gear provides a ratio of 1.54, which is the same ratio as the previous second gear. All sound familiar? When in cold mode operation, below _15°C (5°F), determined by the TFT sensor, the overdrive clutch is engaged in 3rd gear to provide a ratio of 1.09 for 4th gear, and the transmission will shift directly into 6th gear (overdrive), which is a ratio of 0.71. In cold mode the transmission shifts 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 6th gear. When in hot mode the transmission will shift 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 5th gear (ratio 1.00), 6th gear. Either way it is still a five speed unit with six forward gear ratios available, depending on cold mode or hot mode of operation.

I can see what you are saying. I'm calling overdrive 6th. My dash display (Torque Pro) shows me at 6th gear when in overdrive.
What kind of Torque Pro is that, I would like to know what gear my 5 speed is in as well.

Got a link for that..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
What kind of Torque Pro is that, I would like to know what gear my 5 speed is in as well.

Got a link for that..
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque
Old 08-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Earlier in the year I had some issues with stored codes, etc.. During this process, I found my code reader was not identifying my RV properly, showing 8 vs 10 cylinders for example. I went back to stock tune (instead of 5star) and decided to go to Ford and have them reflash the ECU just to make sure everything was good to go.

Ford tech mentioned there was an update and did the reflash. Right away on leaving I new something was really different with transmission shifting. It seemed as though I still had the 5star tune installed. No more crazy downshifting at the smallest of hills.

Just finished a trip from NE TN to FL and back using only my stock tune. It seems to me that Ford has changed the shift pattern of my model for unknown reasons. On all the hill climbing, it downshifted in the same manner, 6 overdrive unlock, 6th, then down to 5th. 5th gear carried me up the hills. I am at max weight for chassis and tow a 5K minivan. Only time it dropped down to 3rd was climbing back up the Blue Ridge.

Not wanting to bash 5star at all, I had many many years of good driving using their tune. For those on the fence about using a tune, you may want to visit your local Ford place and see if your ECU is updated with the latest and greatest. It made a big difference for me.
Did Ford charge you for the reflash?
Old 08-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

Yes, around 100. The tech came out, read codes, reflashed, then sat around and we talked about the V-10. He left the computer hooked up and went through all the live diagnostics such as misfire checks, etc. Said all looked good. Worth the money for me.

Since I have posted this some have told me no way they changed it that much (shift strategy). I'm happy with it at stock and have no intentions of using a custom tune again.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, around 100. The tech came out, read codes, reflashed, then sat around and we talked about the V-10. He left the computer hooked up and went through all the live diagnostics such as misfire checks, etc. Said all looked good. Worth the money for me.

Since I have posted this some have told me no way they changed it that much (shift strategy). I'm happy with it at stock and have no intentions of using a custom tune again.
Thanks, I had a close call today, I have the 5star tune and it wouldnt update or reload the original tune, called them up and to their credit they did get it fixed but it was a close one, they had to reprogram the controller by PC Access, when they had me try to load the original tune it crashed and the tech said he would have to see if they could find a duplicate of the tune as mine was probably lost. They did manage to recover it and get it to load after about 2 hours. When it crashed it wiped the ECU and I couldnt even start it. I had a bad feeling a reflash was in my future. Fortunately they got it fixed.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:

Did you have to find one of the certified Ford Truck Center shops, or were you able to get the reflash done at a regular Ford dealer?
Our MH came with the Banks "TransCommand" programming. Or at least I suspect that it did. It has the Banks long-tube headers and exhaust, along with the Banks intake (reusable oiled filter). In the owners manual bag, I also found information on the tuner, but no tuner was to be found. I contacted the previous owner, and he said he never had one either. All of those goodies were installed by the original owner in late 2006.

I wonder if the shift programming is too harsh. There are times where it just doesn't want to upshift when in Tow/Haul and accelerating at a "brisk" pace. It also seems that the downshifts are a bit too harsh at times too. Maybe going back to the most updated Ford programming will fix these issues, and might even help with fuel efficiency too. I drive like the old guy I am, but still only see 6-1/2 to 7 mpg.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #10

Regular Ford dealer.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Anyone have a clue where to find any info about updates on the ecu? Seems like there is always a tech bulletin for everything and a reason they update.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Regular Ford dealer.
Thanks, I'll try one of the three near me.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pirate, I have the Torque Pro but I do not see how you are getting gear information. Is there a plug-in or am I just missing something?

Thanks
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
Pirate, I have the Torque Pro but I do not see how you are getting gear information. Is there a plug-in or am I just missing something?

Thanks
I have the following plugins:

realtime info
fault codes
map view
torque scan
test results
graphing
adapter status

When I select new gauge, the pids all come up. I show several Ford PIDS. I have 2 choices for transmission gear.

Did you put in vehicle profile?