Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamaria View Post
Where do you guys find all you answers ? it's all your personal knowledge??
33 years as a mechanic at a Chrysler dealership , for the last 14 years before retirement I was #1 Diesel mechanic , #2 Alignment mechanic and #3 Automatic trans mechanic , in a shop with 17 mechanics .
Prior to starting at Chrysler , I worked at my fathers garage , ( who called me into repair my sisters car when I was 14 he didn't have time ) then started at Chrysler when I was 25 . From the time got my drivers license , I built hot rods , hot boats , and helped a close friend who built airplanes , another with helicopters .
There are a few things around with engines I haven't worked on , but only a few.
Somehow I retired with all my fingers . The hot boats came closest to ending my career ( ever fallen , water skiing at 97 mph?)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #16

Skip426
Wow!! that's great!

Well, thank you very much for your help.
I was being told, by a licensed mechanic, that the egr valve on my RV had cause all kind of damages and I was having hard time to believe it... Your help was greatly appreciated.
Thank you much!
annamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Skip426
Wow!! that's great!

Well, thank you very much for your help.
I was being told, by a licensed mechanic, that the egr valve on my RV had cause all kind of damages and I was having hard time to believe it... Your help was greatly appreciated.
Thank you much!
As you have discovered.... Having a license does not equal having knowledge OR ethics. There are other issues with doing things to the EGR, but none of them are mechanical or causing your problems right now. What that mechanic was telling you.... A tissue of lies.

I'm not as familiar with the Ford 460, so I can't offer much help, but my knowledge is also practically acquired... Been working on all my own family's machines for over 30 years now and working professionally on just one vehicle: The Jeep Liberty with a diesel engine. I might not be ASE certified or the #1 at a dealership.... But owners pay me to travel the country and work on their Jeep b/c the number of people who have worked on more than one of these EVER.... is a very low number. I've worked on over 110 of them now and have that engine memorized.

As far as general engine knowledge, it doesn't take a lot of reading / learning to get a basic idea when someone is blowing smoke at you about a problem. If you can (does this still move under it's own power?) you might want to consider another shop.... But it likely will be needing a replacement transmission someday soon if it was operated without much of any transmission fluid lubrication. They overheat rather badly when that happens.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok straight answer about egr damaging transmission i really don't think it was the cause, next question , where did the transfluid go?? Lrak? Cracked case? Driveshaft seal? If the trans fluid is dark red it indicates burt clutches/ bands/or possible but or slipping torque converter clutch. It may be time for a rebuild ford E4od trans are fairly good, but I still wonder where the trans fluid went. We need the WHOLE story to help out here.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
An explanation of what the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve does might clairify and help you understand why the EGR did/could not cause any transmission issues.

"The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is an emission control device which helps maintain the combustion chamber temperature in an effort to reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx). The EGR valve draws exhaust by means of intake vacuum which dilutes the incoming air/fuel mixture reducing the temperature in the chambers bringing the NOx within acceptable limits. The EGR valve also reduces the engine’s octane requirements and lessens the danger of detonation (spark knock)."

As a Teacher I always felt that knowing & understanding how things are designed to work or function went a long way towards gaining diagnostic experience/knowledge and as a result one became a much better repair technician.

The person who told you about your EGR being the cause obviously didn't learn the function of an EGR valve.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
An explanation of what the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve does might clairify and help you understand why the EGR did/could not cause any transmission issues.

"The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is an emission control device which helps maintain the combustion chamber temperature in an effort to reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx). The EGR valve draws exhaust by means of intake vacuum which dilutes the incoming air/fuel mixture reducing the temperature in the chambers bringing the NOx within acceptable limits. The EGR valve also reduces the engine’s octane requirements and lessens the danger of detonation (spark knock)."

As a Teacher I always felt that knowing & understanding how things are designed to work or function went a long way towards gaining diagnostic experience/knowledge and as a result one became a much better repair technician.

The person who told you about your EGR being the cause obviously didn't learn the function of an EGR valve.

Ok thanks for the details on EGR valve.That remove the EGR as the main cause of all my problems.

I don't know where the transmission fluid went, when I stopped at the shop the mechanic said it was empty... he said he couldnt do anything before the EGR valve was installed properly. He said the engine was revving too high and misfire. I found out it might be caused by the transmission slipping.

I would like to show him black on white, there is no way the disconnected EGR Valve caused the transmission slipping, and getting empty in fluid, as well as the engine revolution being too high and misfire.
annamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #21
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ok thanks for the details on EGR valve.That remove the EGR as the main cause of all my problems.

I don't know where the transmission fluid went, when I stopped at the shop the mechanic said it was empty... he said he couldnt do anything before the EGR valve was installed properly. He said the engine was revving too high and misfire. I found out it might be caused by the transmission slipping.

I would like to show him black on white, there is no way the disconnected EGR Valve caused the transmission slipping, and getting empty in fluid, as well as the engine revolution being too high and misfire.
I am sorry for your problem but I do think it would be easier on you and your wallet to find a competent mechanic rather than retrain an idiot.

Good luck. Your are going to need lots of it.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #22

EGR valve may have been disconnected because it was all carboned up.
You can get replacements on RockAuto.com.

EGR valve is $51 and the control solenoid is $17.

Tags
transmission, valve