Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
I can't believe nobody has thought of using a 2 L soda bottle cut the top off slide it over the filter and unscrew it everything stays in the bottle.
I've considered that, but I fear that the filter falling into the bottle with oil already in it will splash the oil that's collected in the bottle out and still make a mess.

Of course, if there's a way to make a mess, I'll make it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #44

Re-Oil Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
I change the oil and grease the front end on my F53 chassis myself. Since I'm a full-timer I don't do this in the driveway, as I don't have one. Campgrounds frown on working on your rig, so that means I'm usually boondocking somewhere when I change the oil, and I sure as heck don't want to spill any oil anywhere.

I have a Fumoto valve on the oil pan drain and can easily drain that straight into old milk jugs or whatever without spilling a drop. But when I remove the filter, there apparently is a lot of oil sitting above the filter that of course all comes out as I unscrew it. Even putting a drain pan up on the cross member that sits beneath the filter, I inevitably get some oil scattered about. There's gotta be a way to get the filter off without making a mess, and I'll bet a bunch of folks here know how to do it. Anybody care to enlighten me?
: when I removed the filter I screwed a screw up into it with the oil pan below, removed the screw and any oil in and around the filter all ended up in the Pan while removing it.
It worked for me, but now that we have moved into a apartment and I'm in my mid 70's and do not have the energy to do this any longer I have a Garage do it.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #45

Coming out of lurk mode to share two thoughts -

I've driven - and serviced - diesel-powered vehicles for more years than I care to admit and I've never pre-filled an oil filter. I've noticed no premature wear or other negative impacts from the omission.

There are certain skills that vehicle owners should possess (especially those who live in their vehicles). Oil changes and lubrication in general are high on the list. Don't want to do it (and have the money to pay for the service)? No problem. But you need to be able to if the need arises.

As always, YMMV.

ETA - can't believe this was my first post. Could've sworn I'd posted at some time in the past.
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #46

OIl filter mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
I change the oil and grease the front end on my F53 chassis myself. Since I'm a full-timer I don't do this in the driveway, as I don't have one. Campgrounds frown on working on your rig, so that means I'm usually boondocking somewhere when I change the oil, and I sure as heck don't want to spill any oil anywhere.

I have a Fumoto valve on the oil pan drain and can easily drain that straight into old milk jugs or whatever without spilling a drop. But when I remove the filter, there apparently is a lot of oil sitting above the filter that of course all comes out as I unscrew it. Even putting a drain pan up on the cross member that sits beneath the filter, I inevitably get some oil scattered about. There's gotta be a way to get the filter off without making a mess, and I'll bet a bunch of folks here know how to do it. Anybody care to enlighten me?

I take a portable drill and a 3/8" bit underneath and put a separate container under the filter. Then I drill a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it run into the container. Give it about 10 minutes while your engine drains then screw the filter off with no mess.
beboboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
I take it to my Ford Dealer and that do it for $59.99 and give me my military discount.
No waste, drips or dirty hands.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #48
tcg

I just want to add, poking a hole in the oil filter will work but before poking that hole be sure you can get the filter loose.

If for some reason after you poke the hole you can't loosen the filter you are committed to figuring out how to get it off. Sure there's the old stick a screw driver in it trick but if for some reason there is not enough room or you just can't get it loose you're now in a call a tow truck situation because your rig now has a hole in the oil system.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plastic container

For a long time, Target sold a round leftover container in the kitchen department that was just the right size for my oil filter. IIRC, they were a buck or two for a package of 5. They were clear, with a blue, screw-on top.

You could slide the container up over the filter, twist it off by squeezing the container, and put the lid on without spilling a drop or getting oil on your hands.

Unfortunately, they've redesigned them so that the lid no longer quite fits on with a filter in there.

I'm still looking for an alternative.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I've considered that, but I fear that the filter falling into the bottle with oil already in it will splash the oil that's collected in the bottle out and still make a mess.

Of course, if there's a way to make a mess, I'll make it.
You don't let it drop to the bottom of the canister you cut the bottle so that the bottom is about 3 inches a way from the filter bottom squeeze the bottle to unscrew the filter and just hold it so it doesn't drop to the bottom. Dump the excess oil into your drain pan and let the filter slide out into the garbage. No Mess no fuss no oily hands.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #51

The oil cooling pipes hold a lot of oil why it runs down the filter
I just take a few turns till it starts running out then stop let it drain it's still messy but not as bad
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
I can't believe nobody has thought of using a 2 L soda bottle cut the top off slide it over the filter and unscrew it everything stays in the bottle.
Thought of it, but don't drink soda.
Tegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
I just set my pan on the beam axle and waited a little longer than average (perhaps 5 minutes) to drain and installed the new filter. No oil spilled.....
That's exactly what I've figured out. Set the drain pan on the beam axle and it catches all of the mess.

I've also found that I can practically sit up under the chassis with my back against the front driver-side wheel and work comfortably on the filter.

The Fumoto drain valve is a must-have. I installed mine during the first oil change.