Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 AM   #1

I have read that alot of you that have a 2002or 2003 F53 that there was a tbs for replacing the shocks to Blistine shocks and Ford covered it. I know now mine is way past the warenty but at only 22,000 miles what would it hurt to try and see if Ford might help me out . It is a 2002 on a 2003 Winnie and has a 18,000 pounds and 26,000 gcwr. I have the rear end sway that all of you have been talking about. Any one that has had this done and can give me the TBS service number and time frame when it was done would be great. Thanks for this great site.
charlie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 AM   #2

I have read that alot of you that have a 2002or 2003 F53 that there was a tbs for replacing the shocks to Blistine shocks and Ford covered it. I know now mine is way past the warenty but at only 22,000 miles what would it hurt to try and see if Ford might help me out . It is a 2002 on a 2003 Winnie and has a 18,000 pounds and 26,000 gcwr. I have the rear end sway that all of you have been talking about. Any one that has had this done and can give me the TBS service number and time frame when it was done would be great. Thanks for this great site.
charlie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I am not aware of a TSB by Ford for shocks. They did start using them as standard equipment around the end of 2002 and they would replace them during warranty period if you complained about handling. But I dont think they actually did a TSB.
Now, I have the 22,000lb chassis so my handling might be different than yours. I dont have a tail wagging problem. I did put a Davis tru-trac bar on the front and that help alot with winds and trucks passing me. Havent needed to put anything on the rear. The rear trac bars are reported to help your situation alot.
Now as far as shocks, that is a tuffy. I had Bilsteins on a pick up truck that I hauled a heavy fifth wheel trailer with and thought the shocks were good. So when I got the motorhome and saw where they had started using Bilsteins shortly after mine had been built, I complained about handling and they put the Bilsteins on it. I had hardly even driven it much before the Bilsteins so couldnt tell you positively that they helped other than I could feel more "firmness" with them. Never tried Monroe's, so cant compare.
I am now wondering about replacing the shocks with Koni FSD's. Their claim to fame is the dampening effect and how they soften the banging or jarring you get from highway concrete seperation. There has been quite a bit of discussion around about these new shocks.
So if you feel you need some more firmness and control from you shocks but yet you dont want that jarring up front, if you have to pay for shocks anyways, you may want to consider the Koni FSD's.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Charlie, all my Fords I changed my shocks out to Blistines to have a more responsive coach and better ride. If you change out the shocks you will be shocked as to how easy it is to pull the piston back and forth. There was nothing there for resistance.
The tail wagging the dog I installed a Henderson touqe bar on rear axel which will give you a more relaxed ride also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #5

Charlie78, I have had both monroes and Bilstiens. I like the Bilstiens better, but it is a matter of presonal preference. The monroes were to soft for me.

Ford V10
MaxRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #6

Well guys, today I just installed Koni FSD's on the front, replacing my Monroe HD Gas Magnums. Leaving on a trip tomorrow so will be interesting to see if there's any ride improvement. I must say the Monroe's did a real good job unlike the harsh ride we had with the original shocks.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #7

We replaced our original Ford shocks (01 Adventurer 32V on the F53 chassis) with Bilsteins at about the 22,000 mile range also. 3 of the 4 originals were either leaking or had already lost all their fluid. I never thought of asking for replacement under warranty. I just thought they were a wear item like tires or brake pads.
The new shocks greatly improved the ride and did help lessen the effect of passing trucks and high winds. We later added an IPD (now Roadmaster) rear sway bar. Now traffic and wind have very little effect on the way the coach handles. You can drive all day long in a 30 mph cross wind without any problems.