Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Reviews from actual RVer’s who installed a REAR TRAC BAR

On my recent trip thru Missouri, Nebraska and Wyoming we had some high winds to deal with along with two way traffic at 65 MPH in construction zones. As a result we had some pretty significant wandering (tail wag) in the RV. My model etc. are below in the signature line.

I would like to get some feedback from those that have ACTUALLY installed a rear trac bar.

I am not seeking out thoughts and theory. (Not meaning to be rude here)

All the following basic steps for the best handling have been done.
- Air pressure is correct (tire wear is even)
- Four corner weighing
- Front end alignment
- Shocks were checked.

I am contemplating installing the SuperSteer SS401 rear trac bar on my Ford 22,000 lb chassis.

Given that the above steps accomplished I would like to hear from those who actually installed a trac bar and to what extent the handling of their gas platform improved.

Thanks
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

A very marked improvement in handling..... Especially in side winds, being passed by large trucks. I have found that you need a rear track bar, front track bar, and some added spring rate improvement. Of course, the CHF.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #3

I installed the Blue Ox rear trac bar on my 2015 Georgetown XL on the 24 K chassis and it made a huge difference with cross winds and trucks passing me. Money well spent.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

I have installed one on mine. The difference is remarkable. Semis passing me used to push the back over with the front wanting to go towards the rig. Now, nothing! Cross winds no longer an issue. It handles normal, like a 1 ton truck.
It is the single biggest improvement on handling I have done.

PS: I have not done the CHF yet.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the brand you mentioned on my e450 class c. It helped with winds, big rigs blowing by, and improved handling while towing my car on a dolly. Easy to install on the e450 chassis.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #6

I really thought I needed a Trac Bar on my 22000# F53. I already have the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and the CHF done.

But.....a full water tank made a world of difference for my rig. I always top it up prior to a trip. Semi waves no longer push me around.

YMMV
Old 09-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

I installed it on our Newmar 29 footer. Can’t say it really helped. CHF and an alignment did more.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out this DIY thread and read for yourself.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/track...is-298428.html

On the first page of this thread note the other link back to the original thread. Yes both of these threads are in regards to a DIY project but still a lot of folks reported how successful the TB was for them.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #9

I had a SuperSteer installed before my trip to Texas this past winter. We had that Arctic blast going on during our trip with some pretty high winds and I was driving with one hand on the wheel most of the time. The rear trac bar really helped, but you will still get pushed around a little sometimes, but not nearly as much. Most of the times the Simi's don't bother me, but now and then I will get pushed around a little. I also have the CHF which really helped a lot.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed the Super Steer track bar on my 22k chassis and it helps. Have also done the chf front and rear. I would do it again on a new coach. They really should be correcting the handling issues when they build them.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the Blue Ox Tigertrak Bar on my 2016 Outlaw (class A). Had installed on my previous rig as well. BY FAR, improved handling the most on both rigs of any of the other upgrades made/installed. This was the first handling upgrade we made to the Outlaw after purchase - the difference in handling was unbelievable - Safe Travels!
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a steering stabilizer, CHF, and rear track bdog ar on a 37' coach on F53. I stalled one at a time and in the listed order. Reach made improvement with the rear track bar making the biggest impact - huge improvement by stopping stopping the tail wagging the dog and BBC su sequential steering compensation required.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #13

I made DIY track bars based on many of the commercial and DIY designs we see in the forums. I did the front one first, and really felt it improved the steering response. We try to travel 2 lane scenic routes and out west that means curvy roads. Very happy with the turn-response.

Then I did a rear bar very similar to the DIY post above. No discernible difference. After maybe 2 years I took it off, thinking sometimes you really don’t miss something until it’s gone. No effect. It stayed off.

On the other hand, I’m on a W22 workhorse and also have never felt pushed around when on interstates with semis, etc. Or, I’m pushed around and don’t realize it as nothing to benchmark against, but in my isolated little instance, I’m glad I only had $30 in the trackbar parts.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put a Henderson suspension rear trac bar on our 2013 F-53 22,000 lb chassis. Huge improvement. DW who also drives spoke highly of the improvement as well. CHF also made a great improvement. TB pretty much cures “tail wagging dog” issue and CHF greatly reduces side to side push and rocking. I recommend both.

Tags
install, rear trac bar