Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

Rv won't start

So two days ago I had to jump the bounder and after turning it off I had to let the suburban run hooked up for a while until it started again. Then yesterday it turned over and I went to the gas station. After filling up the bounder wouldn't start. Every time you turn the key it tries one time and makes a lug then doesn't do anything. I'm wondering, starter? Ballast resistor? Any ideas?
LarrysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #2

Please tell us what chassis you have.

What is chassis battery voltage?
Old 12-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
US1

Battery would be my 1st check.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

It's the Ford chassis, I took the battery to autozone and they tested it and it was reading almost 13 volts so battery has been addressed, also the connections to the battery are clean and tight
Old 12-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrysDad View Post
It's the Ford chassis, I took the battery to autozone and they tested it and it was reading almost 13 volts so battery has been addressed, also the connections to the battery are clean and tight

13 VDC was likely a static reading.

Did they LOAD TEST them?

And, if they are good, then the next thing to check (and FREE) is all connections between battery and engine. This includes the negative circuit as well.

Yes, after that, pull out your digital voltmeter, as you are into troubleshooting.

And WHAT Ford?? Answers for an older Ford 460 V8 will be quite different than for a recent V10.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

It is the old Ford 460. They did not load test it, just tested the battery when I took it in by itself. I'm trying to remove the starter now but it is proving quite difficult
Old 12-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #7

Take that battery to any place that sells batteries and have it load tested.

Even a bad battery can retain a SURFACE CHARGE. But when a large load (like starter) is applied, a bad battery's voltage can quickly drop below 12.0. Even most Walmarts, Sams Club, etc will test for free.

BTW, I would be really skeptical of any place that "tests" a battery by just reading voltage.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
It is the old Ford 460. They did not load test it, just tested the battery when I took it in by itself. I'm trying to remove the starter now but it is proving quite difficult
Can't you swap in another battery from a different vehicle? The battery testers they use at the parts stores are designed for quick and easy battery analysis by people with minimal training and are not 100% accurate, a true test involves a load test at 1/2 of rated cranking amps which parts stores don't do any more. Lucky if they even load test at all, and if they do it's normally with a 100 amp load or less.
It's so much easier to verify the battery first before taking the starter out.
I have the Harbor Freight carbon pile load tester which can dial up to 500 amps which means I can load test up to a 1,000 CCA battery.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #9

You can test the starter by pushing and holding the Aux or Boost start switch.

That connects the house batteriesto the system like a jump.

A battery not being charged will not read 13 volts. It will only read 12.7 volts max.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #10

Tried a battery out of a ram 1500, definitely trying harder but stil goes, uwug, uwug, uwug
Old 12-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #11

Twinboat, so if I push the aux start what should I see if the starter is good?
Old 12-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #12

I had similar problems.. it ended up being battery disconnects switch.. the connection on both sides of solenoid get very corroded over time and need cleaning up.. most disconnect selenoids can be pulled off and cleaned inside the contacts..
Easy test.. just get heavy wire and make up 2 lugs and temporary bypass.. use all safety precautions and all.. I mean all batteries disconnected.. it is too close in there.. and you will short something out and cause personal injury and or damage
I found inside disconnect switches were not making good contact and would cause intermittent starting.. so if disconnect switch are old.. check that..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #13

The solenoid is attached to the starter so would it not make sense to just replace the whole thing?
Old 12-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Twinboat, so if I push the aux start what should I see if the starter is good?
Your adding another set of batteries. It should crank well.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote