Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #1

Seller has not followed time based oil change intervals on chassis or generator

Drove my family 6 hours to possibly buy an RV. 2015 Tiffin 35qba with Ford v10 and 5 speed tranny. Potential price of $82k. The owner pulled the complete service records from the dealer where he has had it serviced. It had the oil change on the chassis and the first oil change on the generator done in January of 2016. In December of 2016 it had the second generator oil change and the first and only air filter change. Generator specs say change oil at 20-50 hours then every 150 hours there after. Should have had 4 generator oil changes by now with 570 generator hours. In 30 days it will have been five years since the last oil change on the chassis engine and it has currently been 4 years since the last oil change on the generator. So it is under mileage for the next engine oil change but the manual says to change every 7500 miles or 6 months. So it is way over TIME interval for oil changes, like over due by 8 oil changes per time interval of 6 months. And likely overdue by hour interval on the generator by at least two oil changes. What are your thoughts?
cpeisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #2

he felt that it was to costly to have the oil changed so he may have did it him self just a thought
patches64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:25 AM   #3

Check the welds between coach and chassis. There have been issues where they break. Search Tiffin forum for details.
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:11 AM   #4

The guy is at least being honest with you concerning oil changes. Apparently the RV hasn't been driven much, from your description. If I wasn't using the RV, I wouldn't take it every 6 months to get the oil changed, just because the manual said to. That's not practical. With low miles and high generator hours, kinda makes me think it was used for tailgating.
How did the coach part of the RV look? Taken care of or abused?

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #5

i read posts about having the oil tested... sounds like a good idea. and. i'd suggest having a qualified mechanic check engine..
buying a new generator is a known expense. limited labor charge.
replacing engine or having it rebuilt ... sounds expensive...
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:01 AM   #6

I bought a 2000 Ford V10 MH in 2014. It had 16,000 miles and 3 oil changes in 14 years. The generator had 6 hours and no oil changes, just a few carburators.

I used it until 2018, putting 35,000 more trouble free miles on the chassis and 500 trouble free hours on the generator. I changed the engine oil every 5000 miles and changed the generator oil once.

IMHO, if its the MH for you, get it warmed up good, change the oil/filters and drive it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It won't be a problem. Maintenance when necessary is whats important. Blindly following recommended schedules without considering circumstances is wasteful.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

Time based oil change is quite similar to discarding your distilled water based on the expiration date

Everyone is aware you must get up at midnight to observe expiration dates or face consequences

Of all things to worry about time based oil changes are simply a joke unless it is tied to a warranty
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
you'll be fine, service the entire rig, front to back and establish a new baseline for your own maintenance schedule and move on, enjoy your new rig, the ford v-10 is bomb proof and the onan engine will take a beating for a long time.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
It won't be a problem. Maintenance when necessary is whats important. Blindly following recommended schedules without considering circumstances is wasteful.
Totally agree. Most of us are experienced enough to know the important items such as oil changes, etc. When you take a look at the recommended service items on the so called X miles checks you will notice a lot of items that are either unnecessary or easy to do your self....lube accelerator pedal, change air filter, inspect belts are examples. The 15,000 mile check on my Freightliner costs about $1500. If you don't need an oil change at that time, the rest of the inspection is about 5 hours labor plus parts. I suspect this is a big money maker for the company.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #11

Pull an oil fill cap, look to see if there is any sludge on the cap or better yet in the valve cover. If it's clean, ask for a discount but feel ok no matter what.
Just get all serviced if not for sure when last time was.
Pack the family in the rig and go have some fun.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #12

I used to get the same thing from my car dealership. I have a car for a second vehicle. I don't drive it in the winter, and don't put large miles on it in the summer. I would always get a notification from the dealership that it was due for its oil change, even though it had sat in the driveway all winter. I base oil changes on miles driven, not time past. The oil sat in the ground for a couple million years, I don't think a few extra months is going to hurt it.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #13

Much ado about nothing.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #14

The time limit for an oil change is based on the fact that some vehicles set and idle for long periods without incurring mileage.

Tags
chassis, generator, sell