Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 10:27 PM   #1

Serious transmission leak help please

Can you guys please help me identify this so I can replace it. Itís part of the transmission but when I google transmission plug it gives me the actual stopper that I have to unscrew to drain all the fluid, not whatever this rubber stopper / plug is. Itís driving me crazy please help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B317355B-6688-4052-B0DA-573DB6BF0C4B.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	381701  
KB941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 10:34 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Bell housing plug?
Likely leaking torque converter or front pump seals.
Replacing that rubber plug will not stop the leak.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #3

Good evening KB941; As Apline36 mentioned, that is the access rubber plug to gain access to the torque converter drain plug. Looks like a Ford automatic transmission. Am I correct? That much fluid could be a converter seal leak! Need to remove the plug and get a small inspection mirror in there and see what is going on and need to progress from there. Hope this info helps!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:45 PM   #4

Yes it is a ford ATF
Old 11-28-2022, 10:45 PM   #5

Yes.. just pop out that plug.. looks normal to me.. those will leak there for yrs.. nothing to get excited about.. it's the dip stick you have to pay attention to.. is your fluid in trans low? Next is how much are you losing over how long ? Those are what is really important.. next what trans temps are you running at?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 11-28-2022, 10:54 PM   #6

Okay so now that I’ve gotten more info from you guys it’s worth mentioning I just drive from NY to CA via the 80 and and the trannywas getting SUPER hot and melting us in the cabin and fluid was definitely pissing out of that thing so I stopped mid Wyoming to get fluid at Walmart and added 4 quarts and it definitely helped regain some shifting and power to make it to my destination. It got so low and so hot I almost blew it up and completely lost any momentum going uphill.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:01 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Um, sorry to say you need to find a good transmission shop...
Plan on a rebuild soon.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:19 PM   #8

Never be sorry for the truth lol thank you
Old 11-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As 8.3Oilbuner noted, that plug is to access the torque convertor drain plug. I would encourage you to pull the plug out and "bar" the engine over till the drain plug shows up at the hole. "Baring" means rotating the engine, which will rotate the convertor. This can be done with a socket wrench on the crank pulley. A helper is a big help. There is a possibility of the drain plug being your leak. Knowing that a transmission overhaul will cost in the thousands, it's worth a try.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:41 PM   #10

All good advice. Transmission at this point is almost certainly toast. They really don’t do well low on oil. If you ran it for that long slipping enough to generate that much heat it is unlikely you are getting home without a rebuild. Depending on how fast it is leaking if you keep it topped up continuously you might be OK to get home. At that point you will be fixing it for sure so I would take it into a shop ASAP rather than find yourself stranded and at the mercy of a shop in the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #11

That plug is basically a "dust cover" and has no sealing function. The leak is mostly likely from the front pump seal. Though the converter neck can leak at the weld, the seam weld of the converter can crack and leak, and our big Ford transmissions in particular can crack where the studs are welded on the converter. The ones that engage the flexplate.

I understand you gotta do what you have to sometimes but running an automatic low on fluid is very bad for them. It's likely that at the least you will have some "burnt" internal clutches. Plan on a rebuild or at least a "refresh". You can also buy "crate" remanufactured transmissions that are nasty expensive but have really good warranties on them and are normally internally upgraded above and beyond what they were originally as a matter of course. I rebuilt my own transmission, but it wasn't my first rodeo.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
4 Quarts low and running hot is NOT good! Very likely you have baked the seals, and maybe the clutches.

A drive of 20 miles will tell you if it needs a rebuild now, or when you get home (providing you keep it topped up) Pull up some hills and see if it's shifting down and holding speed and rpms in all gears.

Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

What year rig is this? Recently had our torque converter develop a pinhole leak in the weld that secures the snout to the body. Leak similar to yours for a time until it progressed suddenly to a very significant leak while travelling. Significant enough that it was intermittently spraying ATF on the exhaust pipe and causing puffs of white smoke to appear at the rear of the coach while travelling. Potential fire risk. The leak was right at the tail end of the weld - defect? Maybe. OP's leak could be in the TC or a front pump seal. His transmission may or may not be toast. Ours was fine. Shifted normally, no debris in the pan, never got hot, nothing observed that indicated the trans was not ok. Replaced the TC and so far all is well. FYI - there is no drain plug on the torque converter. At least on late model Fords. My advice get a competent transmission shop to inspect it.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
His transmission may or may not be toast. Ours was fine. Shifted normally, no debris in the pan, never got hot, nothing observed that indicated the trans was not ok. Replaced the TC and so far all is well. FYI - there is no drain plug on the torque converter. At least on late model Fords. My advice get a competent transmission shop to inspect it.
The part that tells me (former transmission shop manager) that the trans is almost certainly toast is not the leak it is this:

"...added 4 quarts and it definitely helped regain some shifting and power to make it to my destination. It got so low and so hot I almost blew it up and completely lost any momentum going uphill"

It is possible that it is OK and a new torque converter and front seal may fix everything but very unlikely and a test drive topped up with oil and a pan inspection will reveal all. I would not hold out much hope. As someone said, clutch packs are likely burnt, and seals baked at a minimum. My experience was a long time ago and transmissions are much more reliable now but running them that low on oil for any length of time will still kill them.

Tags
leak, transmission