Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfddutch View Post
ok, so i lied, although not purposely, was able to get the code, 633, 633. then it flashes:1212212
The space code of 1 and then 212,212 says you have the wrong ICM installed.
You need a Black ICM and you have a Gray one installed.

You should not get a 633 as it has to do with a 4X4 truck.
When you get codes that you should not be able to get most of the time you have a bad PCM Computer or the wrong one installed.

DTC 633 indicates the 4x4 Low Selector Lever is not in the 4x2 or 4x4 high position (observed in Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test). A change in the automatic transmission shift cycle will occur.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

grr

the 633 code refers to 4x4l and that it should be in 4x2 or 4x4h

that makes no sense, it doesnt have 4x4... why would it throw that code?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The space code of 1 and then 212,212 says you have the wrong ICM installed.
You need a Black ICM and you have a Gray one installed.

You should not get a 633 as it has to do with a 4X4 truck.
When you get codes that you should not be able to get most of the time you have a bad PCM Computer or the wrong one installed.

DTC 633 indicates the 4x4 Low Selector Lever is not in the 4x2 or 4x4 high position (observed in Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test). A change in the automatic transmission shift cycle will occur.

/
so took a look at the pcm, it says reman, so i assume it has been replaced, model number is: f6tf-12a650-aja

so its very possible that the replacement was incorrect...
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfddutch View Post
the 633 code refers to 4x4l and that it should be in 4x2 or 4x4h

that makes no sense, it doesnt have 4x4... why would it throw that code?

Just a word about codes.
When Detroit Diesel came out with Electronic Injectors in the high horsepower 16 Cylinder Engines in large mining trucks.
We would sometimes get a code that drove us nuts.
The code was CRUISE CONTROL there was no cruise!
We changed the wiring harness and the Code stopped.
That is how we diagnosed a bad harness.

Maybe consult a Ford tech with good electronic trouble shooting experience. In my mind it sounds like a communication problem with the systems.
Good luck!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am going to guess that you did not read the code 633 right because:
1. In a 4X4 truck the only connection between the PCM and the 4X4 switch is on pin #12 of the PCM.

2. The F6TF-12A650-AJA drawing number cross to F6TZ-12A650-AJA part number and program BOX0. This PCM is the right PCM for your F53 and is more than likely Calibration Code 6-98B-R00.

3. Very unlikely you have a strange wire giving power to pin #12 of the PCM. Pin #12 is not used and there should be no wire in this position.

This PCM was also used in PU trucks with a 4X4 so the code would be in its program to give this code. So if it is giving this code I would say you have a bad PCM.

I would get the codes read again with a code reader.
As to your shifting problem it is either a bad PCM or a bad TR sensor.

It also looks like you have the wrong ICM installed and that would take away some power of the engine. But you can check this by checking its color. You need a Black one for your F53 and the wrong one would be Gray in color.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
1. In a 4X4 truck the only connection between the PCM and the 4X4 switch is on pin #12 of the PCM.

2. The F6TF-12A650-AJA drawing number cross to F6TZ-12A650-AJA part number and program BOX0. This PCM is the right PCM for your F53 and is more than likely Calibration Code 6-98B-R00.

3. Very unlikely you have a strange wire giving power to pin #12 of the PCM. Pin #12 is not used and there should be no wire in this position.

This PCM was also used in PU trucks with a 4X4 so the code would be in its program to give this code. So if it is giving this code I would say you have a bad PCM.

It also looks like you have the wrong ICM installed and that would take away some power of the engine. But you can check this by checking its color. You need a Black one for your F53 and the wrong one would be Gray in color.
I believe you have found your Ford expert
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #21

Quote:

Wow, sounds like you know your stuff!

ok, so if its a bad pcm, can i just order a new one on ebay or should i send this one in to get fixed?

TR sensor i can replace easy enough to find out.

on the ICM, where is it located on the f53 ? i tried looking today but couldnt find it...
Old 04-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like your PCM had this problem when it was installed. That may be why it was pulled from the F53 or Truck it came out of. So I would replace it but I have worked with a lot posters on another site that get PCM's with problems from auto part stores.
The problem with your PCM is not a power supply problem so getting it fixed is not likely. Sending them off to be rebuilt can be a can of worms also as I have one guy that has sent his back to the rebuilders three times and still has the same problem.
So it is hard to tell you what to do. There is an RV salvage yard near Joplin Mo. that sells them but they like them very much $$$.

If you replace the TR sensor and it starts shifting OK (not likely if it is the PCM) I would live with the 4X4 error code unless you live somewhere where you have to get it inspected error free to get it licensed.

The ICM is located in front of the radiator low on the drivers side.

Note the item on the right in the image below is the radiator overflow bottle and not the radiator.

/
Old 04-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #23

Quote:
It sounds like your PCM had this problem when it was installed. That may be why it was pulled from the F53 or Truck it came out of. So I would replace it but I have worked with a lot posters on another site that get PCM's with problems from auto part stores.
The problem with your PCM is not a power supply problem so getting it fixed is not likely. Sending them off to be rebuilt can be a can of worms also as I have one guy that has sent his back to the rebuilders three times and still has the same problem.
So it is hard to tell you what to do. There is an RV salvage yard near Joplin Mo. that sells them but they like them very much $$$.

If you replace the TR sensor and it starts shifting OK (not likely if it is the PCM) I would live with the 4X4 error code unless you live somewhere where you have to get it inspected error free to get it licensed.

The ICM is located in front of the radiator low on the drivers side.

Note the item on the right in the image below is the radiator overflow bottle and not the radiator.

/
so i replaced the TR sensor and no dice... its still doing the same.

checked on the icm, and sure enough, its grey, not black (see pic)

how would it even work at all is my question... should it not just not work at all ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_153147.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	157645  
Old 04-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
The push-start gray ICM will let you start and run the engine you just will not have as much power. The difference between the two is how the Dwell manipulated and how the IDM is sourced for the PCM. The ICM has to match the PCM Computer and You have a CCD PCM so you need a Black CCD ICM.

Note that the balck ICM will not help your shifting problem however.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #25

Quote:
The push-start gray ICM will let you start and run the engine you just will not have as much power. The difference between the two is how the Dwell manipulated and how the IDM is sourced for the PCM. The ICM has to match the PCM Computer and You have a CCD PCM so you need a Black CCD ICM.

Note that the balck ICM will not help your shifting problem however.
yeah, but having the power would be nice though... its a bear of a rig...

i ordered the right ICM, now to find a PCM, found one for 300 and one for 220, trying to make an offer on one for a little less and see...

at that point we should be rocking and rolling very good... its been a fun project, 2 weeks from now will be our first time taking the rig out overnight... ready for that!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Note that a lot of part places will try to sell you the wrong gray one as there look up computers are wrong also some Ford places will sell the wrong one too.
That may be how your unit wound up with the wrong one.

If in doubt order one for a 1995 5.0L Mustang.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Subford: You are the man! There is one thing you have not mentioned. At our dealership we found many times the ground was not making good contact. I would suggest cleaning all grounds.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #28

update

Ok, so an update for you guys.

I got the the PCM/ECU in and the shifting problem was resolved !!! so thats awesome. i received the ICM and they send me a grey one not a black one (sigh) so reordered the right one.

when i went to get the RV inspected it failed due to exhaust leak, the right side manifold was leaking, pulled the manifold and replacing it. waiting on the correct bolts to come in, already have the manifold, and prepped everything.

tuesday should be mouting the manifold, testing wednesday, and inspect Thursday, hit the road friday... gonna be a tight schedule.