Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #1

Shifting problem

Have 1999 f53 v10 ford. Has add on large transmission pan. While driving on a long trip pulling a small car, several times while pulling out from red light, coach jerked like it was having shifting problems. Only happened in first gear. 25,000 miles on coach and fluid is clear after 10,000 miles.
jandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm. Do you have any mods - like the 5-Star Tune or anything else that you can provide additional information?

You may also want to post this on the Ford forum, as the experts on Ford tranny's are over there.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

We had the same problem this summer with a 99 F53. Solved the problem with a new battery. As odd as it seems it was the cause. We had what felt like a bad slip from 1st to second. Felt like the tranny was going to fall out the way it was banging into and out of 2nd and 1st. Battery would start the coach but you could tell it was getting tired so before we had the tranny looked into changed the battery never had the problem since. Hopefully yours is that simple.

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
blousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Jandon and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 AM   #5

My 1999 V10 Ford stated doing the same thing. I look forward to the post to see what it may be. I think it has something to do with the drive shaft.
Shell925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandon View Post
Have 1999 f53 v10 ford. Has add on large transmission pan. While driving on a long trip pulling a small car, several times while pulling out from red light, coach jerked like it was having shifting problems. Only happened in first gear. 25,000 miles on coach and fluid is clear after 10,000 miles.
Are you using the correct procedure to check the transmission oil level on the dipstick?

I also remember reading about wires rubbing thru along the left side of the transmission.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #7

Warm in park holds 17qts. Use pan with cooling tubes in pan. Did run over tire recap on highway. Might have started after that. It jerks 2 or 3 times then takes off. Seems to shift in 2nd a little hard. Does not do it ever time I stop. Does not do it if I shift into 1st manually then into drive.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #8

No modifications.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know your mechanical expertise/understanding about (ATs) automatic transmissions so here's some information.

I have rebuilt ATs in the past but my technology level and understanding is way, way, way out of date. They have changed so much in the last 20 years.

I don't know if the Ford AT back in 1999 has computer controlled (solenoid) shifting. It's possible but I don't know. That's probably what happened to the poster that said his AT shift problem went away after he changed the battery. Today's AT are highly technical and are getting worse/better every year. Better shifting with more gear choices results in better fuel mileage. Check the latest truck ATs. Ford (F-150) is coming out with a 10 speed with fuel milage close to the mid or high 20's.

The tolerances inside the AT are very, very close. The smallest particle of dirt can result in shifting issues that come and go. In my past years I heard that many AT shops refused to perform a service if an owner missed several recommended fluid change intervals. Often following that first service the AT had shifting issues and the shop was expected to rebuild the AT for free.

ATs will usually only require two service procedures. Change the fluid at the recommended intervals and rebuild the AT. The rebuild was usually the result of hardened seals causing reduced hydraulic pressures which caused clutches to wear and or burn up. With today's AT's there may be electric solenoid issues or computer shifting issues or fixes that can be done within the electronic area of the AT.

You've got I think four choices. Do nothing and see what happens. Maybe it was dirt. Check with a good Ford AT rebuilder and see if there are some electronic service procedures that can be done. Have the AT fluid changed or get the AT rebuilt.

If it were mine I'd take it to a heavy Ford truck shop and have the fluid changed/flushed or what ever the current method is for renewing the fluid.

I've also been involved in some discussions regarding the various types of fluid that are recommended for the different models of the Ford AT. The AT fluid technology has also changed and improved drastically over the years. It is absolutely imperative that the correct fluid be used.

Just some food for thought. There may be some Ford AT guys that will offer some other insight into the AT.

TeJay
Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #10

Along with what TeJay said,

Make sure you are not experencing engine problems. I have read, on this site, that the Ford V 10s have ignition coil issues. A misfire, under load could give the same feeling.

Ahh, missed the part about using low, and not jumping.

Still worth a look, for the poster suspecting driveshaft issues.

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
What braking system are you using on your TOAD, is it a Surge Type braking system? If so the jerking when 1st starting out could be associated with the braking system, or an issue with your tow bar too.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #12

Useing car dolly no brake system car is buick verano
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Transmission fluid used to contain whale oil. It was a perfect lubricant. Of course the government came along and outlawed whale oil. All the lubricant people came up with a new additive, but none worked as well as whale oil. As transmission's aged the tended to have a problem with the valves sticking. A company finally came up with a additive that worked. It worked so well that Ford, General motors, and Chrysler all recommend it for their vehicles. I also had a hard shift problem on my 1999 F53. (this was in 2009) I talked to the guy who designed the Transmission at the Louisville dealer show. He said to add a bottle of Lube Gard. It worked! I bought a second bottle for my car, at O'Reilly's auto parts. I told the salesman what a good product it was and said he should tell his customers about it if they were having a shift problem. He said he had noticed that AAmco transmission bought Lube Gard a case at a time from them. I talked to a couple of transmission guys about Lube Gard and they also said it was something they always use and recommend.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
ga traveler,
That's good information to know regarding the AT Lube Guard. I'm very skeptical of any type repair or magic fix that comes out of a bottle. Beer and wine of course are the exception.

TeJay