Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #1

Shock absorber bushings

Last trip I had a hard knock when I was on bumpy roads. Today I found the upper shock bushing was missing. It was caught on some hoses and wires so I have a part to match. I've search the major suppliers but can't find replacements. 2000 F53 with Bilstein shocks. The bushing needs a 1.2" hole for the metal bushing and a 1.5'' outside diameter about 1.45" over all width.

Anyone know of a source?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

If all else fails. Contact Skuterdude@gmail.com. He is in the custom urethane bushing casting business. MAYBE? he can help you.

Richard
Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not try a salvage yard and get a used and worn out shock and use the bushing. I can't believe there are that many different sized bushings used for shocks.

Did you try googling "Shock absorber replacement bushings" to see what shows up???

I just googled what I wrote above and there are dozens of places to get bushings for a shock.

Just some thoughts of the top of my crazy head!!!
Old 07-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #4

Google was my first choice. I spent about an hour and a half looking before I made the request here on the off chance someone had done the same repair. I don't have a salvage yard around here dealing with anything that large, just cars and pickup trucks. All of the bushings I found were too small. Local auto supply had one listed as a replacement but was too small. I even looked for hard rubber stock on eBay thinking I could turn the part - no luck.

I did manage to find something that looks promising and waiting on delivery this week.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

We had the same problem several years ago with the Bilstein's on our 2001 Adventurer. I searched high and low to find replacement bushings. In the end I had to replace the complete shock absorber.

Everyone I talked to had the same answer. "They don't make replacement bushings. In almost every case when the bushing is to the point it needs replacement the shock also needs replacement".

The salvage yard or a used parts dealer are about the only places you're going to find them.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #6

I bought some bushings that were about the correct size and modified them to fit. A little time with the lathe and press and I think I have a working solution.

The shocks only have about 40 thousand miles on them and seem to be OK other than the bushing rubber getting old.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #7

Job well done.. but most of the time.. many people don't have their own laith. Laying around.. let along skill to use it.. or time..shock bushing are proprietary.. each shock company makes their own.. to their standard.. but salvage yard.. no.. bushing would be shot or too close to shot.. really after 40,000 miles.. and ? Years.. there just is not that much life in most of them.. that said.. you are use to them.. if you added new ones.. it would make you feel more bumpy probably..
But there is a lesson here.. keep us posted.. someone might want to make their own bushings some day.. part on older coaches are harder and harder to get..
I have had to make my own.. in the past.. just used file or box knife.. but I don't have a laith.. or skill to use one.. sounds so cool.. I wished you were my neighbor.. but I bet you would wish different after a while.. keep us posted..
Old 07-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Your Bilsteins are probably original to the motorhome. If the upper bushing wore out enough to fall out, it's time to get new shocks.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

There was crack in the rubber. It looked more like the rubber got hard and failed more so than wore out. I was ready to replace the shocks but then the other half got involved. She only sees the expenses and not the reality so I need to spread the repairs out a little.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim we all understand keeping the WIFE happy but there is having a failed shock bushing that finally breaks because is had hardened. Then you're missing the attachment of that shock to your suspension. Just hope you're not to far from home when that happens.

One has to weigh all aspects of repairs and the consequences if it fails on a trip.

Just MHO and that's all!!!!!
Old 07-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #11

Two of my front ones fell out. It so happened I bought some other shocks for a truck I have at an auction for cheap. But to get them I had to accept some other shocks too. Rifling through those I found some I could repurpose. With some effort. Not terribly pleased with the results but they beat the rattling noise. Tossed the remaining (brand new in boxes) shocks in the recycling bin. No one wanted them on Craigslist.

For those who haven't actually worked on shocks, they are usually held on by a nut or bolt with a large washer on it. The large washer is normally of a diameter that keeps the shock from coming actually off even when the entire bushing disintegrates.

If you happen to live in area where dirt track and/or circle track racing are popular AND know somebody, you might be able to get your shocks checked on a shock dyno. Then you can verify that despite what people think about the mileage or age, your shocks are actually in good condition. Or not.
It may be that you can get shocks tested at other places with such equipment, I don't know, I've not had the need to look. I don't quite see throwing away perfectly good and usable shocks when all they need are new bushings.

Like I said, I wasn't terribly happy with the bushings I came up with at the beginning of this. Considering the size I was think of picking a set of "blank" replacement skateboard wheels and turning them to size for the next version. A set of four can be had for five dollars. But yes, you need a lathe or some other means of turning them to size. Doing this is somewhere way down my to-do list as my other ones aren't showing signs of failure or falling out yet and I don't travel a whole lot.
(Yes, I have a lathe.)
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #12

These also have a large washer to keep them in place. They just made a bang when I hit some rough road because the cushion was gone. The shocks will be replaced before any long trips. I'll just add them to a parts order for her car and all will be well. Only have some short local trips in the near future.

They skateboard wheels are an interesting raw material. Biggest problem I had was holding the rubber bushing to bore the inside diameter. I think if I try it again I'll have to make a split piece of pipe to fit around the rubber.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #13

Standard skateboard inside diameter opening for the bearing is 22mm or @0.866 in. I have not measured my bolts but That's likely too big but I could sleeve it the bolts....or just buy some other material from McMaster-Carr I guess. Skateboard wheels are right at 95a durometer though, sweet spot for the purpose I think. Pretty machineable too.

Something I might do just because. Imagine telling someone: "You did WHAT now?"
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #14

My bushings have a sleeve inside about .75 OD and about a .69 ID. Roughly a 5/8 bolt goes through the sleeve.

Tags
abs