Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #183

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Just ordered the 5 star tune. I'm hoping all you guys are right.
We are. Trust us.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #184

Winnebago Owners Club
Where do you all get it installed? At a Ford Dealer or a local truck repair shop?
hscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #185

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscole View Post
Where do you all get it installed? At a Ford Dealer or a local truck repair shop?
It's a do it yourself job. Plug the device into the OBDII port, follow the instructions.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #186

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Word of advice, before installing, find the fuse for the hyrda boost and pull it....I didn't and it drove me crazy while I installed the program.....
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Word of advice, before installing, find the fuse for the hyrda boost and pull it....I didn't and it drove me crazy while I installed the program.....
+1. Find the large fuse box centrally placed under the hood. The Hydroboost fuse is the one at the top left.

We recently traded out our 2013 Bounder for a DP. We enjoyed the benefits of the amazing 5 star tune and, before handing it over, I returned the rig to stock tune. I therefore have the scanner with 5 star on board which is now of no use to me. If anyone is interested in buying this, please PM me.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #188

OK, does anyone know where the OBDII port is. I've been looking for 30 minutes. I know it says 24" of the steering column on the drivers side, but it isn't there. Nothing remotely close to a plug to fit the SCT unit. I saw the pictures several pages back showing the port, but I have nothing like that or anything that looks close.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #189

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
OK, does anyone know where the OBDII port is. I've been looking for 30 minutes. I know it says 24" of the steering column on the drivers side, but it isn't there. Nothing remotely close to a plug to fit the SCT unit. I saw the pictures several pages back showing the port, but I have nothing like that or anything that looks close.

Thanks
Mine is attached to the very bottom edge of the instrument panel trim beside the steering column. With my right foot on the brake my knee practically touches it. However, I just looked and the connector has at least two feet of cable coiled up behind it. I guess it comes out of the Ford plant loose, and the coach builder attaches it. I recall reading that someone with the same problem held a digital camera under the dash and shot lots of images, one of which showed the elusive connector. Oh, one other thing: my connector has a plastic press in cover over it, so the pins may not be obvious to see.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #190

Never mind I found it, good thing it wasn't a snake because it's right there on the side of the steering column and says ODB right on the cover.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #191

Page 8 Bruce.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #192

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

Page 8 Bruce.
Thanks Mike, I thought that was your camera trick!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #193

Initial test drive with the 5 star tune was very good. Pick up speed and cruise speed was a very noticeable difference; cruised at 70 mph much easier. Look forward to the increased cruise speed and shifting difference in the mountains.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #194

I installed the 5-star SCT program which Mike recommended for our 2000 V-10 intruder a few weeks ago. Being a truck/auto mechanic I have always been sceptical of the so called add on gadgets intended to improve HP/performance. So that I could determine if this was actually going to enhance my performance I made a couple of trips with the RV prior to ordering and installing the SCT program. Since I will be towing our Sebring on a dolly I included it in the runs. I must say that I am very impressed with the enhanced performance. Previously I had to manually shift out of OD on the steep long hills to maintain a reasonable speed, 50 mph from my cruising speed of 60 - 65 mph. With the SCT kit I leave it in OD and slightly increase throttle pressure which gently kicks the tranny into the next lower gear. The tranny shifting ranges are closer and more gentle and it does feel like the Lock-up is kicking in sooner which would contribute to more positive pulling power. As for general engine performance the engine isn't working near as hard it, actually gives me the sense of an effortless ride. My fuel mileage averaged 9.0 Miles per imperial Gallon which is significantly higher than the 7.5 - 8.0 I was getting before the installation. The SCT was well worth the investment and will pay for itself in less than a year.
Hicksie
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #195

Ford Super Duty Owner
I noticed back in the thread, someone said there was a discount for IRV2 members. Is that true??? Also does the new program eliminate the down shifting coasting down hill with the cruise control on??? I hate having to turn the cruise control on and off on every long downhill. I don't care if I have the cruise set to 60 and I'm doing 70 at the bottom of the hill.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #196

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
I noticed back in the thread, someone said there was a discount for IRV2 members. Is that true??? Also does the new program eliminate the down shifting coasting down hill with the cruise control on??? I hate having to turn the cruise control on and off on every long downhill. I don't care if I have the cruise set to 60 and I'm doing 70 at the bottom of the hill.
I don't think the stock tunes will change that behavior but Mike at 5 Star Tune can customize a tune to do just about anything.