Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #239

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
now that I have done the tune and the engine started. We will be towing and I usually use the tow/haul. Should I continue using the tow or leave it off or does that have anything to do it. Thoughts????
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #240

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike garry View Post
now that I have done the tune and the engine started. We will be towing and I usually use the tow/haul. Should I continue using the tow or leave it off or does that have anything to do it. Thoughts????
I leave Tow/Haul on most of the time except on long flat Interstates. The big benefit to me of using TH is engine braking.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #241

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
I bought the 5-Star Tune a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't installed it until today. Sure was easy to do. We will be leaving IN for SW FL around 12/28. Can't wait to see what difference the tune makes for my MH. I'll report back right after the first of the year.
Happy New Year to all!
I'm in FL now and thought I'd report my impressions of the 5-Star Tune.

I can feel the increased HP/Torque quite significantly from a dead stop and/or lower speed driving (better throttle response), not as much once I get up to highway speed.

The transmissions seems to shift smoother, and takes longer to upshift as I accelerate up to speed. Also, it seems to take more pressure on the pedal to make the transmission downshift. This will take some getting used to. For instance, when you are entering a freeway from a ramp and want to downshift out of OD for better pick up, the new tune causes me to have to push the accelerator further down to get it to downshift. I understand that this goes hand in hand with the tune's ability to hold the transmission in OD longer when starting an uphill climb, which is good, just will take some time to get accustomed to.

MPG doesn't seem to have changed either way. My toad has changed, so I may never know for sure.

Overall, I would say that I am pretty pleased with the change. The trans still shifts from OD to third (mine is a 4 speed) on uphills, but not as soon, and has not gone to 2nd gear yet. I didn't drive through any mountainous areas. We came from Indiana down through Alabama into the FL panhandle, so we didn't do the mountainous area around Chattanooga this time.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #242

Good report Kevin.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #243

Freightliner Owners Club
From what I've read, the tune does nothing for fuel economy/MPG. What it does do seems to be very subjective; for example, smoother shifting, better throttle response, i.e., "better driveability". As far as staying in high gear longer on slight inclines, that could be accomplished with the accelerator pedal, given no cruise control.

I don't see what makes this worth the expense and the potential for voiding the factory warranty. The way my luck has been running, I would put this on my new V10 and it would implode the next day!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
From what I've read, the tune does nothing for fuel economy/MPG. What it does do seems to be very subjective; for example, smoother shifting, better throttle response, i.e., "better driveability". As far as staying in high gear longer on slight inclines, that could be accomplished with the accelerator pedal, given no cruise control.

I don't see what makes this worth the expense and the potential for voiding the factory warranty. The way my luck has been running, I would put this on my new V10 and it would implode the next day!!!
I put the Five Star on our rig at 700 miles. One of the best mods I've done so far. The power and shifting is so much better. With the extra power there is way less of a change of a down shift on hill, even when driving with the pedal. Worth every penny and then some. Warranty, who need that, it's a Ford. I'm so close to the people at the local Ford house that they give me warranty on things that are out of warranty anyway. I even put the Five Star Tune logo right under the Ford V10 logo on the passengers side for all the world to see. Need to ask Mike for another one for the drivers side.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #245

Just put a 10 mile quick trip(gassing up for our trip next week) on my newly installed 5-tune. Shifting was unbelievably great. No more sounding and feeling my 9th grade bus ride. Purrs like a kitten but has the bark of a dog when needed. Can't wait put a 600 mile round trip under-neath her.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #246

Got the X3, just need the tune

Folks:

I have the X3 box for my 2011 Mustang GT500. Anyone got the tune files and could email them to me to try out? Send me a PM. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #247

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Folks: I have the X3 box for my 2011 Mustang GT500. Anyone got the tune files and could email them to me to try out? Send me a PM. Thanks!
the tune files are customized to each vehicle and cannot be transferred. If you already have the box then Mike will sell you a tune for about $100.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #248

Thanks - I will check into that one.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #249

FYI on whats coming in 2014

My brother is a 30 year ASE certified GM mechanic and is currently the service manager at a dealership. He told me today that the ECU's in ALL VEHICLES in the USA will start reporting if they were flashed or reflashed even once and that the dealer will notate this when detected and will silently void your powertrain warranty. This is happening based on new legislation that goes into place governing ALL motor vehicles produced for the USA starting in 2014 and moving forward. It will not be a matter of detecting changes in the ECU but instead that the ECU will store the fact that it was changed separately from the tune itself. Just a heads up and this only affects 2014+ models.
Lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #250

Monaco Owners Club
This has been mentioned many times for GM vehicles, never mentioned or verified for Ford.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
This has been mentioned many times for GM vehicles, never mentioned or verified for Ford.
There are ways that Ford can detect that a PCM has been recalibrated with an aftermarket programmer. Currently the scan tool does not come out and tell the tech that the calibration has been altered but it will be checked with most engine failures and turbo failures. Not sure if there are changes to this for 2014 or not though. But the issue arises with proving that the programmer did cause the damage. Ford does have documentation for common component failures from programmers so this can hold up in court. But odd stuff and even transmission failures are not really worth it to try to cancel the warranty.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #252

Does it still show a change in programming if the stock program is reinstalled?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote