Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Had the tune on my '99 with 4 speed. Slightly improved gas mileage but the downshifting was MUCH better! I'll estimate a 60% reduction. To me well worth the $400 if it doesn't pay for itself. Yes you'll need to send Mike the codes for the ECM before sends you the new map.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A related question: do you run with Tow/Haul mode on, off or sometimes?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #17

I believe the tow/haul function came out in `05 and later. MY `04 has a button on the end of the shifter for OD on/off. I leave it in OD except for down hill.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I believe the tow/haul function came out in `05 and later. MY `04 has a button on the end of the shifter for OD on/off. I leave it in OD except for down hill.
Dunner, Tow/Haul mode will downshift automatically all the way to 2nd on a steep down hill to hold the speed in cruise. It also downshifts while braking. It feels like it also delays the upshifts when accelerating.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #19

Can't comment, as I have never driven anything with the tow haul mode. The`97 Ram I towed my 5er with is a 5 speed. Sounds like something I would like, though.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Yes. Shift point improvement well worth the price. Big before and after difference with the shift points. Gas mileage improvement, maybe, but not significant.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #21

I have had to turn off the tow/haul when going downhill when the RPM's jumped too high for my liking. It does this at high or low speed, but not all the time.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Got the 5 Star from Mike at the Daytona Rally. Uploaded it for the drive home and it was awesome. No more downshifting to 4,000 rpms while in cruise control. Overall drive was very pleasant.
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A little help..

What does this program actually change? I looked on the website and they were pretty vague and I am not much of a mechanic. I have a 450 ford chasis and when you are in cruise and start up any type of an incline you can really get her whining when it downshifts. Does it keep it in an higher gear longer or does it shift down and just doesn't pull up to such a high rpm? I could defenitely see some advantages if it would stop it from flip it to a high rpm when it downshifts going up a hill. Also would this add extra horse power or this just a transimission/engine rpm fix. Thanks
beeker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #24

I added the 5ST when my rig had about 1K miles on her. It holds the gear longer so way less downshifting and lower rpms. It also makes more HP and torque, and you can feel it. They claim better fuel mileage, but can't say I can tell, and I don't worry about fuel mileage anyway. When the gauge gets low I get gas. They claim my rig has a 80 gallon tank. Ran it down to 2 miles to empty one day and I put 87 gallons in it at the pump. So it must be a " big eighty". The bigger the better with a motor home!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #25

My rig with the 20' enclosed is right at 24k and it still down shifts on tall over passes. If I can figure out the options. I may be able to change that.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker6 View Post
What does this program actually change?
I can't get too specific on what it changes, but certainly engine and injector timing, and probably adjustments in A/F ratio, for increased HP and torque. Then it changes shift points in the transmission so it up-shifts sooner. I noticed harder/faster shifts so I'm pretty sure it increases trans pressure too. In the 4 speed (4R100), it holds OD longer before downshifting. Not sure what it does with the 5R110 or the 6R140 trannys with Tow/Haul modes.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #27

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the 5-Star System void any warranties from Ford?
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I would have to say yes. However, when you flash the ECM, it backs up the stock settings. So it's very easy to return to stock before taking to a dealer. There was some discussion a while back about this. Some say GM can tell if the ECM has been flashed, some have said Ford can't and some say yes. AFAIK, still nothing definitive regarding Ford.