Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #295
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgoodtimes View Post
I need some more help please. I got my X4 tuner with the RV tune in the mail. Reading the booklet that came with it on chapter 3.0 There are two different files to download? 3.1 and 3.2 3.1 says preloaded tune file and 3.2 says custom tune file. Will I have to choose one of these (If so witch one) or will it do it by it's self. I sure would hate to mess this thing up right before my trip. I am very mechanical minded but the opposite for computers.
I just got mine in the mail yesterday and have been studying the instruction manual in between relatives from out of town here.

First I downloaded the SCT X4 Power Flash Ford Programmer Device Update Software to my home computer from the SCT website. I will install it on my laptop later so that I can update the X4 on the road if needed.

SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel! This allows me to update the device or tunes through the "Device Settings" menu if I have WIFI access for the X4.

The X4 that is received in the mail is pre-loaded with the one tune for our motorhome. A custom tune is not pre-loaded and is one that is made up by SCT in case you are running a turbo charger, etc. on your engine. It is sent to a person through email.

In our case, the preloaded tune is all that we need. So we follow the instructions in Chapter 3.1 of the instructions. That's basically the point that I am at now.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #296
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3wtf View Post
all i recieved was the rv tune... only 1 file
Yep, that's all we need. I am ready to hook mine up and follow the steps in Chapter 3.1.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #297
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Update:

When I got to step 5, under "pre-loaded tune" it said "vehicle unsupported" and under "custom tune" it said something like "87 daily tow", so that is what I selected. I was not given any options for other octanes as the instructions say it will.

I continued following the steps until done. Now we'll see how it goes!
I think I'll call SCT tomorrow and ask them about step 5 and also about chosing the correct octane rating when only option was given.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #298
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Update:

When I got to step 5, under "pre-loaded tune" it said "vehicle unsupported" and under "custom tune" it said something like "87 daily tow", so that is what I selected. I was not given any options for other octanes as the instructions say it will.

I continued following the steps until done. Now we'll see how it goes!
I think I'll call SCT tomorrow and ask them about step 5 and also about chosing the correct octane rating when only option was given.
Like I said, you have to load the custom tune. You only bought one tune from 5 star...the custom one. The pre-loaded ones are typical tunes for most cars/pickup trucks. Not sure why you would want other than 87 octane for your RV.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #299
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Like I said, you have to load the custom tune. You only bought one tune from 5 star...the custom one. The pre-loaded ones are typical tunes for most cars/pickup trucks. Not sure why you would want other than 87 octane for your RV.
Yep, you are correct. In going through the flash process, the X4 in step 5 calls the "87 RV daily-tow" a custom tune and that is the only one loaded into the X4. What is confusing is that on the sctflash.com and 5startuning.com websites they say that custom tunes are ones provided by their local dealers and are emailed to you, not pre-loaded. So I am getting conflicting information between the X4 and the website.

I like to use 91 octane or higher when traveling in mountainous areas and I'd like to know that my tune is getting the most performance out of the higher octane fuel. In mountainous areas I am only concerned with increasing the horsepower and torque and not concerned about economy.

In the User's Manual, Chapter 3.1 it says: "Gasoline Engine: Tunes are based on Octane, make sure you choose the correct octane rating based on the octane you are running in your vehicle.
-87 Octane
-91 Octane
-93 Octane"

So my question becomes where do I choose the octane rating as I didn't see that option during the flash process or do I need a separate tune for each higher octane rating? Again, I'm getting conflicting information.

The other possibility is that we just load the custom tune "87 RV daily -tow" tune and don't be concerned about any conflicting information or what octane is used as that information only pertains to pickups, cars, vans, etc.

I'll take the MH out for a test run this afternoon around my 20 mile "test circuit" and see how it performs. Should be interesting.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #300
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Yep, you are correct. In going through the flash process, the X4 in step 5 calls the "87 RV daily-tow" a custom tune and that is the only one loaded into the X4. What is confusing is that on the sctflash.com and 5startuning.com websites they say that custom tunes are ones provided by their local dealers and are emailed to you, not pre-loaded. So I am getting conflicting information between the X4 and the website.

I like to use 91 octane or higher when traveling in mountainous areas and I'd like to know that my tune is getting the most performance out of the higher octane fuel. In mountainous areas I am only concerned with increasing the horsepower and torque and not concerned about economy.

In the User's Manual, Chapter 3.1 it says: "Gasoline Engine: Tunes are based on Octane, make sure you choose the correct octane rating based on the octane you are running in your vehicle.
-87 Octane
-91 Octane
-93 Octane"

So my question becomes where do I choose the octane rating as I didn't see that option during the flash process or do I need a separate tune for each higher octane rating? Again, I'm getting conflicting information.

The other possibility is that we just load the custom tune "87 RV daily -tow" tune and don't be concerned about any conflicting information or what octane is used as that information only pertains to pickups, cars, vans, etc.

I'll take the MH out for a test run this afternoon around my 20 mile "test circuit" and see how it performs. Should be interesting.
If you look at all of the dyno charts they are all based on 87 octane. If you want to use higher octane I would contact Mike to see if he can program one for you. Not sure which coach you have, but our 35 footer climbs steep hills like a car.

All RV X4 devices come with 1 custom tune installed for price listed.

Works on 1996-2014 Vehicles

__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #301
Registered User
 
KSCRUDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Land Of Oz RVM17
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
If you look at all of the dyno charts they are all based on 87 octane. If you want to use higher octane I would contact Mike to see if he can program one for you. Not sure which coach you have, but our 35 footer climbs steep hills like a car.

All RV X4 devices come with 1 custom tune installed for price listed.

Works on 1996-2014 Vehicles

Yes ours does also. I see no need for higher priced gas. You will gain nothing from it.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #302
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Yes ours does also. I see no need for higher priced gas. You will gain nothing from it.
I agree. I did some research on octane ratings and found that higher octane fuels do not give us more power or better gas mileage. I had assumed (like many consumers) that higher octanes were better. Not so.

Ford recommends 87 octane. What will give better mileage and power is switching from 87 octane with 10% ethanol to straight 87 octane regular gasoline.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #303
Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 50
Aauimmm. I agree if you can find it. Only a few places in Nebraska and Wyoming have I found it. Definitely more power and improved MPG.
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #304
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoylefcco View Post
Aauimmm. I agree if you can find it. Only a few places in Nebraska and Wyoming have I found it. Definitely more power and improved MPG.
Yep, the midwest is heavily weighted toward the ethanol blend. In Iowa we even get the gasoline tax break for using ethanol so that 87 octane with 10% ethanol is some 20-25 cents cheaper per gallon than 87 octane regular.

I do run across 87 octane regular in my travels so I usually end up with a mixture of the two in my tank.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #305
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 7,204
aauummm,
You had me wondering for awhile when you said something about gaining horsepower by using 91 octane.

I would pose this question to my students when we began our advanced discussions on fuel, fuel injection and computer controls.

Using two identical cars at the 1/4 mile one with 87 and one with 91 octane. "Which would get the best times??? Assuming identical drivers or same driver as well.
They always said the higher octane would get better times. When I told them NO that's when the discussions and explanations would begin.

Since many, many consumers don't know why here it is in a very simple explanation.

If both cars were identical except one had 8:1 compression and one had 9:1 compression then and only then would the 91 octane improve the performance. Higher compression gives you the potential of getting more HP. The higher octane is necessary to prevent and to avoid pre-ignition of the fuel due to heat of compression.

TeJay
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #306
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
aauummm,
You had me wondering for awhile when you said something about gaining horsepower by using 91 octane.

I would pose this question to my students when we began our advanced discussions on fuel, fuel injection and computer controls.

Using two identical cars at the 1/4 mile one with 87 and one with 91 octane. "Which would get the best times??? Assuming identical drivers or same driver as well.
They always said the higher octane would get better times. When I told them NO that's when the discussions and explanations would begin.

Since many, many consumers don't know why here it is in a very simple explanation.

If both cars were identical except one had 8:1 compression and one had 9:1 compression then and only then would the 91 octane improve the performance. Higher compression gives you the potential of getting more HP. The higher octane is necessary to prevent and to avoid pre-ignition of the fuel due to heat of compression.

TeJay
Yep. I was like a lot of consumers and just assumed that higher octane would give more power. You guys got me to thinking about that in the discussion about the 5 Star Tune and the different tunes for different octanes. I even called 5 Star Tune about it. I also started studying up on it on my own. (Reread my owner's manual also) I found that it's exactly as you, and others and 5 Star Tune says it is.

Also, the gasoline companies have done a good job in clouding the issue and fooling us into buying higher octane fuel when it is just money wasted but more profits for them.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #307
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 7,204
Now you can join the ranks of the educated and you won't waste $$$$ on higher octane fuels.

Yes the oil companies do cloud the issue. They also try to market the injector cleaners as well as other crap that is supposed to help.

Engines today do a great job of managing the fuel delivery while keeping the emissions down very low. That's evident in the fact that plugs last 60,000-100,000 miles. Excess fuel (hydrocarbons) are what fouled the plugs.

They were forced into doing it back in the late 70's and 80's by the Feds. That's one time the feds did something intelligent. Fortunately it was so complicated the government didn't actually try to do it themselves like our current health care screw up system. They had to improve fuel mileage and lower emissions on a time schedule. As it turned out if you lowered the emissions you improved mileage. It was a win, win situation for everybody.

TeJay
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #308
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
aauummm,
You had me wondering for awhile when you said something about gaining horsepower by using 91 octane.

I would pose this question to my students when we began our advanced discussions on fuel, fuel injection and computer controls.

Using two identical cars at the 1/4 mile one with 87 and one with 91 octane. "Which would get the best times??? Assuming identical drivers or same driver as well.
They always said the higher octane would get better times. When I told them NO that's when the discussions and explanations would begin.

Since many, many consumers don't know why here it is in a very simple explanation.

If both cars were identical except one had 8:1 compression and one had 9:1 compression then and only then would the 91 octane improve the performance. Higher compression gives you the potential of getting more HP. The higher octane is necessary to prevent and to avoid pre-ignition of the fuel due to heat of compression.

TeJay
I don't think I agree with this this. For one the only way to really tell a difference is on an engine dyno. Since the potential power gains are minimal. Because higher octane is a resistance to burn, you use higher octane if you want to advance timing, add boost, or very high compression. On either car you could see a slight gain in power if the timing was advanced. But the gain in power from the timing and not the fuel. The fuel just allows the mixture to not start the burn prematurely. A very good buddy of mine was very heavy in motorcycle drag racing in the 80's (had some high name sponsors to) and just recently got back into drag racing. With a stock Suzuki Hyabusa engine on a dyno (11 or12:1 compression ratio) running 91 octane would loose 5 HP vs 87 octane which the programming was set for. BTW he is running 8.20's at 161/162 MPH with a pretty much stock busa engine with a longer swing arm and wheelie bar. He built a larger engine that pushed it to 168 MPH but the 60foot was terrible because of a lack of traction. He would have to go with a wider swing arm to put the power to the ground and he really don't want to spend that kind of money.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.