Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker6 View Post
What does this program actually change? I looked on the website and they were pretty vague and I am not much of a mechanic.
If you want specifics, call 5 star and talk with them. In my case, I have a 2006 F-53, and it downshifted too quickly, and too often, as I went up minor grades. After installation, the quick downshift had been modified to keep me in O/D longer as I climbed minor grades, and the downshifts were much less frequent. Points of downshift are now occurring when I would manually downshift, if I were to do so. Acceleration was significantly improved according to seat of my pants comparison. Gas mileage may have been marginally improved, but no notable significant improvement. Performance improvement has been very satisfactory to me, and is the big improvement I have seen.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just back from a 2448 mile trip from north of Dallas to Disney World. Only got .1-.3 more MPG. "Maybe" 5% more power? It did correct my speedo/odometer error of -4%. Never downshifted over mostly gentle hills. Got my SCT Tuner as a gift. Would I recommend you buy one? Not if your expecting anything other than "very minor" improvements. Find something you might enjoy more for $400.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where do I find the ECM code on my MH? Also, how is the new "tune" installed when I get it in my hands?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #32

The ECM code is on the firewall on the drivers side up on the high side. It comes with a hand held controller that you plug into the computer port below the steering column. You plug it in and it sucks the stock tune out of the ECM, then it loads the new tune back in. Took me about 30 minutes start to finish. You can put the factory tune back in if you choose, but I never will as I see no need. I don't ever see needing Ford service, but time will tell.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Just back from a 2448 mile trip from north of Dallas to Disney World. Only got .1-.3 more MPG. "Maybe" 5% more power? It did correct my speedo/odometer error of -4%. Never downshifted over mostly gentle hills. Got my SCT Tuner as a gift. Would I recommend you buy one? Not if your expecting anything other than "very minor" improvements. Find something you might enjoy more for $400.
I totally disagree. I drive through mountains quite often and have found a huge difference in the shifting patterns and power. I would gladly pay double or more for the mod. I think it is the best performance enhancer you can add to a Ford motorhome if you drive in hilly country. Driving from Dallas to Florida which is mostly flat country does not give you any perspective to what it can do for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I also disagree. The only way I would give up my five star tune, they would have to pry my cold dead fingers off of the steering wheel. I would not want to go back to driving it without. Not unless I have a 450 or 500 HP oil burner under the hood!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post

I totally disagree. I drive through mountains quite often and have found a huge difference in the shifting patterns and power. I would gladly pay double or more for the mod. I think it is the best performance enhancer you can add to a Ford motorhome if you drive in hilly country. Driving from Dallas to Florida which is mostly flat country does not give you any perspective to what it can do for you.
I have to ditto that. I mostly travel between Mi and Fl, it's a roller coaster ride and I would not be without my 5 Star!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let's talk about their support. I was out West 2 years ago and had an issue that turned out to be my MAF. I emailed Mike and he responded several times in less than 12 hours. The other day I emailed him around 5PM and he responded in an hour. Like the others I would not be without my 5 Star and is by far the best $ spent. Communication and after sale support is excellent! This a a very "customer driven" company with a great product.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Is the 5 star tune improvement just as dramatic on a 2 valve V10 as it is on the 3 valve motor? Will the increased power require higher octane fuel?
I'm fairly content with the power I have now but I've been limited to moderate hills around here. I'm thinking this would be something good to have if I ever get into real mountains, and I'm hoping I get to do that soon.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #38

5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTonyB View Post
Is the 5 star tune improvement just as dramatic on a 2 valve V10 as it is on the 3 valve motor?

Will the increased power require higher octane fuel?
Yes and no.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #40

I have to say the 5 Star Tune has made a significant improvement in the driving of our Bounder 33C. The sudden drop into "screaming second" occurred very rarely on last week's drive down to Naples FL despite all the undulating roads. One thing I have learnt though is if you leave cruise to do its thing ( set at 60 mph) it will eventually drop to second. However, if you goose the gas pedal a little, it will hold top or fourth, even if you drop below the set speed. It's as if the PCM is reacting differently to inputs from the gas pedal than inputs from the cruise control. Very strange. All told, I think it was a good investment.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm still try to justify my $402 SCT Tuner. (which I got for free, Thank God) It did correct the speedo/odometer -4% error. It probably helped with .1-.3 mpg and some reduced gear changing in hills. But it will take 50+k miles to payback before it starts saving. Doubt I'll use my RV that much in 10 years.
Using 5 Stars performance charts it only helps 5-7% for HP and Torque. If you think it's giving you more "sit of the pants" power it has to be you're giving it more throttle after installation. If your not getting more MPG, than you are using more throttle. Or maybe it has more power if you've gone to 89 or 91 octane but it that case there is no savings due to the $.10-.30 more per gallon.
OK I got it, won't stop using it, just would not recommend it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #42

When I ordered the 5 Star "87 Custom Tune" for our coach, which doesn't require a higher octane fuel, it was primarily for increase in power with which I'm satisfied.

In my situation, I consider it money well spent and have no interest in amortizing the cost.

Happy New Year to all & Safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote