Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good Investment

Not sure about others but I am going to spend my money on one..here in PA we do have many small and some large hills that from what I am told the 5 star will make it easier to deal with.

Hope to see a late christmas Bonus soon...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Travel the east coast extensively. Since I got my tuner, I've increased my ampg by 0.5 mpg. Adjusting for the difference in fuel usage and prices I'll pay for mine in 12k miles. What it has done for the drivability is uncalculatable. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I'm still try to justify my $402 SCT Tuner. (which I got for free, Thank God) It did correct the speedo/odometer -4% error. It probably helped with .1-.3 mpg and some reduced gear changing in hills. But it will take 50+k miles to payback before it starts saving. Doubt I'll use my RV that much in 10 years.
Using 5 Stars performance charts it only helps 5-7% for HP and Torque. If you think it's giving you more "sit of the pants" power it has to be you're giving it more throttle after installation. If your not getting more MPG, than you are using more throttle. Or maybe it has more power if you've gone to 89 or 91 octane but it that case there is no savings due to the $.10-.30 more per gallon.
OK I got it, won't stop using it, just would not recommend it.

If you got if for free and are still down to counting to the exact dollar, maybe you should give it to someone who will appreciate it. The .1-.3 MPG was probably from the speedo error.

I don't even remember what I paid for mine. It just works and came with a free Dash Scan.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If you got if for free and are still down to counting to the exact dollar, maybe you should give it to someone who will appreciate it. The .1-.3 MPG was probably from the speedo error.

I don't even remember what I paid for mine. It just works and came with a free Dash Scan.
Mike, I think the unit comes preprogrammed for one engine only since they ask you for the ECM code. Otherwise there would be a thread on the forum selling used 5 Star Tuners.....

Does the Dash Scan allow you to read the OBDII codes? Reset them?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #47

About the price of a tank of fuel. Mine is great and it stopped 90% of the down shifting and it runs a lot better. If I want good fuel mileage I just let it set. Does great while setting. Burns gas while running. That's what trucks do.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
.......Using 5 Stars performance charts it only helps 5-7% for HP and Torque. If you think it's giving you more "sit of the pants" power it has to be you're giving it more throttle after installation..... Or maybe it has more power if you've gone to 89 or 91 octane but it that case there is no savings due to the $.10-.30 more per gallon.
OK I got it, won't stop using it, just would not recommend it.
I'll take a 5% to 7% increase in power any day. That is a significant number.

(To put it in perspective, 362 horsepower times 107%= 387 horsepower....an increase of 25 horsepower, quite significant).

I'm using the same 87 octane gas I have always used. It stands to reason that if there is a 7% power increase, that increase will be felt with the same amount of throttle. In my case, cost recovery was not my objective. I wanted fewer unnecessary downshifts, and better shift points and have achieved that objective.

It's fortunate for you that you received the tuner for free. It's obvious that you are not satisfied with the device, and if you would have purchased it, felt that it was a waste of money.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #49

Yes it does, Bruce. Reads and resets codes. It can also store and play back data. You can program it to display up to 8 parameters, 4 at a time and scroll through each.

I think 5Star needs to know the ECM code to know what strategy was used. Once used, the device is locked to the vehicle. Not sure if it is returned to stock, it can be used on another vehicle with the same strategy.

Unfortunatly, it doesn't do MPG.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes it does, Bruce. Reads and resets codes. It can also store and play back data. You can program it to display up to 8 parameters, 4 at a time and scroll through each.

I think 5Star needs to know the ECM code to know what strategy was used. Once used, the device is locked to the vehicle. Not sure if it is returned to stock, it can be used on another vehicle with the same strategy.

Ok, that seals the deal. I'm ordering one.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #51

Quote:

The 5Star can only be used on one vehicle at a time. But if you return that vehicle to stock it can be used on another if the ECM codes match. So say I have a 13 model V10 with the 5 speed trany, it should work on another 13 V10. Ford started the 3 value V10s in 05 but may have made some changes year to year. Prior V10s were 2 value and had the 4 speed trany and I am sure they would be different. But the only ones who could tell you for sure would be 5Star. Unless the ECM code is a exact match.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
While I've only tuned diesels (with SCT, Spartan, Diablo, etc...)
(except for the wife's 2011 Audi turbo gas which went from 211hp to 275hp)
and never dealt with 5 Star -
have heard excellent reports about 5 star from other forums and people in the tuning industry I trust....

With any tuner,
the version of the software in your engine ECM has to match the programming changes done in the tuner...

If not the same version (and Ford release 5 or 10 versions for each engine) it may NOT help your performance, in fact, it will probably hurt it !

and while I've not heard of damage from using the incorrect tune, I would not be surprised if a free tune ended up costing a lot

think of it like trying to run a computer program written for an apple computer on a IBM pc... it don't compute !

I would certainly use your tuner to read the strategy and talk to the tuner to ensure it is the correct version for your engine.... good luck !
Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Ok, that seals the deal. I'm ordering one.
What, Bruce? A Dash Scan or a SCT programmer?

Not to be confused with a Scan Gauge.

SCT Dash Scan Data Monitor Dis-regard the Mustang and Pony references.

I forgot about the performance capabilities of the Dash Scan. 1/4 Mile, 0-60 HP/Torque, External Sensors and some other functions.

The only thing I don't like about both of these is the menu. On either of them, if you "Select" or "Cancel" an option, it takes you back to the top of the selection choices, not where you left off and go to the next parameter.

Are you listening SCT Mike?

BTW, the SCT programmer can be updated with new firmware and software over the interweb and a different tune via email.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #54

Looking at the 5-Star Tune site.

I have a 2011 F-53 26000 pound chassis. The V-10 Triton 362 HP, (thanks Cliff for the catch).

What does 2V vs. 3V mean and how do I determine which I have.

If I am looking for improved fuel mileage but fewer downshifts (which I assume translates to more power) what option makes the most sense?

I'm not clear on installation. I give them the PCM code and they set the proper tune based on my objectives then do I just plug it into the OBD II port and it does the rest or is there a specialized installation process?

Thanks,

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #55
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Looking at the 5-Star Tune site.

I have a 2011 F-53 26000 pound chassis. The V-10 Triton 262 HP.

What does 2V vs. 3V mean and how do I determine which I have.

If I am looking for improved fuel mileage but fewer downshifts (which I assume translates to more power) what option makes the most sense?

I'm not clear on installation. I give them the PCM code and they set the proper tune based on my objectives then do I just plug it into the OBD II port and it does the rest or is there a specialized installation process?

Thanks,

Roll
Your HP is 362. The 3v ( which you have ) means 3 valves per cylinder. Give them a call with any questions or concerns. I'm sure they'll be happy to assist.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered the 5-Star last week and could not find the PCM code. 5-Star sent out my unit and had me hook it up and read the strategy code. They then emailed me the correct program for my rig within 24 hours after I sent them the strategy code. I downloaded the program and had my rig programmed within an hour. Overall, e very easy and enjoyable process. Now I can't wait to try out out!

PS - If you order it, be sure to remember the discount code offered on the 5-star ad here on iRV2!