Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #85

Can someone tell me which tune you got for the 3V V10? They have a rather extensive list.

3v V10 6.8L Calibrations:
3v auto- 87 octane economy
3v auto- 87 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 87 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v auto- 89 octane economy
3v auto- 89 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 89 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v auto- 91 octane economy
3v auto- 91 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 91 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v auto- 93 octane economy
3v auto- 93 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 93 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v manual- 87 octane economy
3v manual- 87 octane performance/tow
3v manual- 89 octane economy
3v manual- 89 octane performance/tow
3v manual- 91 octane economy
3v manual- 91 octane performance/tow
3v manual- 93 octane economy
3v manual- 93 octane performance/tow
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Can someone tell me which tune you got for the 3V V10? They have a rather extensive list.

3v V10 6.8L Calibrations:
3v auto- 87 octane economy
3v auto- 87 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 87 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v auto- 89 octane economy
3v auto- 89 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 89 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v auto- 91 octane economy
3v auto- 91 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 91 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v auto- 93 octane economy
3v auto- 93 octane performance/tow-haul
3v auto- 93 octane performance/tow-haul OD/5th lock out*
3v manual- 87 octane economy
3v manual- 87 octane performance/tow
3v manual- 89 octane economy
3v manual- 89 octane performance/tow
3v manual- 91 octane economy
3v manual- 91 octane performance/tow
3v manual- 93 octane economy
3v manual- 93 octane performance/tow
Best to call Mike at 5 Star and explain to him what you want your RV to do. After talking to Mike I went with the 87 octane economy tow and just installed it Monday. Very easy to do by the way.
I have 13,000 plus on the motor home now so I will have a good base line to see what difference the tune does. Much to my dismay though we probably won't be taking the motor home out for another month or so. I'll do an update after running the tune for a few tank fulls.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Best to call Mike at 5 Star and explain to him what you want your RV to do. After talking to Mike I went with the 87 octane economy tow and just installed it Monday. Very easy to do by the way.
I have 13,000 plus on the motor home now so I will have a good base line to see what difference the tune does. Much to my dismay though we probably won't be taking the motor home out for another month or so. I'll do an update after running the tune for a few tank fulls.
Thanks Roger. I do plan on calling Mike. I just wanted to see what most are getting installed. I do tow, but seldom put tranny in tow/haul mode. The most aggravating thing to me is the the shifting of the tranny when in OD mode on very small hills. I understand the 5 star is supposed to help with this a great deal.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Thanks Roger. I do plan on calling Mike. I just wanted to see what most are getting installed. I do tow, but seldom put tranny in tow/haul mode. The most aggravating thing to me is the the shifting of the tranny when in OD mode on very small hills. I understand the 5 star is supposed to help with this a great deal.
The only time I use the tow/haul mode is when approaching a stop or in town. It helps slow you down.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have the identical tuning in mine, and run it now for more than two years. I was on the east and the west coast with it and climbing the mountains was a piece of cake! I never had to use the truck lane!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #90

Well made the plunge today. Talked with Mike at 5 star and have the tuner ordered. Hope I get the results everyone else talks about. Have a week trip planned for Florida starting on the 10th, so will see how it works....
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Post your impressions during/after the trip.

(and be safe on the road!)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #92

Quote:
The only time I use the tow/haul mode is when approaching a stop or in town. It helps slow you down.
I use it that way too but I found it the most helpful when decending long grades in the mountains.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My 5 Star Tune Experience

I have been following this thread for months now, and I finally talked to Mike at 5 Star last week. He answered all of my questions, and explained the actual changes to the engine and transmission tuning.

I installed it Saturday morning without drama. That most difficult part is figuring out where your OBDII port is located under the dash.
Anxious to try out our new toy, DW and I took a little road trip on a 130 mile route with some nice long steep hills.

DW was skeptical when I told her we needed to spend $400 on something she couldn't see or touch, but agreed to the upgrade on my advisement.
As soon as we pulled out of the driveway and drove a half mile down the road, DW says "Wow, I can feel the difference already!"

We noticed right away that small hills didn't cause a downshift as before.

We are now able to climb steep grades in high gear at a constant throttle.

If you floor it while climbing it will downshift as it should.

When accelerating moderatly to highway speed, it finds OD ASAP.

When descending a steep grade with your foot off the accelerator, the converter will be locked to make engine braking more effective.

I know the tuning also improves power, but I don't know how to quantify the results. All I can say is the engine felt more responsive and capable.

Keep in mind that my rig is a 2001 model, so I'm sure the factory tune was less sophisticated than on a new model.
DW and I are very pleased with our decision to get the 5 Star Tune.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We'll ditto your great detailed response on what the 5-Star Tune does. We've certainly enjoyed the improvements on our 2012!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #95

I traveled last weekend from the Panhandle of Florida, up through northern Alabama and Georgia to Bristol, TN and back. It was my first outing with the 5 Star Tune. On all but the steepest grades, the cruise held at 65MPH and the RPM climbed to just shy of 3000. A huge difference from what it was stock. The jump to 4000 RPM on the slightest hill, and the loss of speed up the grades are a thing of the past. The tune is worth every penny.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have been following this thread for several months now, and have a couple questions.

I have a 2000 fleetwood southwind 35S, I have looked under dash on firewall and also outside on firewall and can not locate the ECM, anyone happen to no where it is located ? How big is it, and what does it look like.
Are there different programs for towing a toad or the same program does both ?

I have done the CHF and am very satisfied with it.

Thanks in advance.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #97

I said the same thing... till I looked real close. If it was a snake, I would have bit me. If it's a F53, look over on the left near base if steering column.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What a difference driving the MH with the 5 Star Tune. Only once in 250 miles did I get a 4000 RPM episode. Much less down shifting and much stronger pulling on the hills. Even the DW remarked how much better the MH drove. She thinks it was the best $400 we have spent so far on the coach. I'll check the mileage at this next fill up.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote