RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

Should I just get the Five star tune and get it over with!

Had our 2013 Newmar a little over a week now and put about 600 miles on it on her maiden voyage. Got back and joined this forum and and already did the cheap fix! Although I used the factory links as I think they will work great as Long as I can refrain from jumping motorcycles. Haven't had her out of the shop since I swapped holes on the sway bars though. What's is every ones thoughts on the 5 star tune. I think it needs it as I don't like the downshifting, especially in cruise mode. Wish you could lock it in 5th gear, but there is no provision to do so on the 5 speed ford auto. Is it worth the $400?
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Waited a long time before I jumped into the after market "power adders". I was relunctant due to the warranty issues. I now have had my 5 star for 3950 miles. It was well worth the purchase price. I've had an increase in MPG (0.6 mpg average over the total mileage) from what I is believe is the less downshifting into lower gears. Should be paid for around 9000 miles.

When at speed on cruise (~2400 rpm) the first thing that occurs is the unit comes out of lock-up and pulls at about 2750 rpm. This usually corrects the speed fluctuations over mild changes in roads slopes, like over passes. If the incline is more severe it will down shift again for an engine speed of about 3100 rpm. Cruise speed is restored and everything is fine. Since having the program installed, only once has the motor gone into the screaming 4500 rpm range on an 8% climb. It use to do it on 2% inclines. Should have done it sooner. You know what they say - shoulda, coulda, woulda but didn't. JM2˘...
R'V there yet?
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
5 Star best $ spent for performance and driving fatique.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes! I bought my MH in Texas and drove it back home to Idaho. The constant down shifting, and especially the downshifting to much lower gears on hills often allowed the engine to run near 6k rpm. I was constantly shutting off the cruise control to prevent over rev'ing the engine. Now after installing the 5 star tune (4k miles on my MH), it runs like it should. The trans stays in gear much better and allows the engine to use more of its torque, rather than constantly downshifting, to make it up inclines.

Best investment you can do. Too bad Ford won't fix this problem. The dealers response to me was that they couldn't help me, and that was why there was a warranty!
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Thanks for all the quick replys! Do they need the ECM code when you order the tuner? I want to order one now but am not close to the MH!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YES! and the type tune you want. Talk to Mike. JM2˘...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

We do coast to coast to coast every year. The five star is the best thing since sliced bread. Better bang for the buck than Banks, which We had on our last V10. And you can erase it.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
All the above X2.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Got the 5 star tune coming today. They only make one for the V10 RV with the f53 chasis. For the V10 super duties they come with 3 different tune for you to use. They both cost about $400 in round numbers! I have done the cheap fix now just need the tune and I should be ready to get the new girl out on the road! They tell me at five star that I will gain about 30 HP and 70 FPT with this RV tune. So about 400 HP and over 500 FPT should be it's range now. If I like what the tune does I may have to get one for the 08 king ranch I have with 16 k on the clock!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

The nice thing about the 5startune is that you can put it back to stock before taking in in for service.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 5 Sta tuning, and with it, my relatively light weight MH goes like a "bat out of hell". We use our MH mostly as potable bedroom when visiting relatives. last year we went to California, and on the way there, on the long I60 hills in Wyoming and later on I 80 to the Donner Pass we were most of the time on the passing lanes, and just "flew" by the trucks and diesel pushers, But, as I say, we travel very light weight, no water in any tank, not much of any supplies, etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this what y'all are talking about?
Ford 6.8L V10 RV / Motor Home ONLY! X3 Power Flash Device - 5 Star Tuning
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
That would be it, works great!!
jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
When at speed on cruise (~2400 rpm) the first thing that occurs is the unit comes out of lock-up and pulls at about 2750 rpm. This usually corrects the speed fluctuations over mild changes in roads slopes, like over passes. If the incline is more severe it will down shift again for an engine speed of about 3100 rpm. Cruise speed is restored and everything is fine. Since having the program installed, only once has the motor gone into the screaming 4500 rpm range on an 8% climb. It use to do it on 2% inclines. Should have done it sooner. You know what they say - shoulda, coulda, woulda but didn't. JM2˘...

BTW, it's worth the $s for the improved shifting alone.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote