Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spark Plugs--Any brand increase gas mileage?

I was told that some of the better more expensive ceramic spark plugs, will increase your gas mileage by 1 to 2 MPG. Is this true and what brands or spark plug number for the V-10. Thanks in advance........
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #2

So some manufacturers claim but I doubt it can be substantiated. I just drive with a light foot and do well at 10 mpg.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Marketing Claims" are what our free-enterprise system is built on. Amway, the direct marketing giant in our neck of the woods, built their success on advertising products that were more costly but "concentrated" so you didn't use as much. Have yet to see anyone put less toothpaste on a brush cause it was concentrated.

I would seriously doubt spark plug brands would make a difference in mileage - more marketing hype !!
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
It won't increase MPG or power any amount above what can be measured on a dyno. Real world conditions will show zero gain over other plugs.

The gains most people see and claim is simply the result of putting new plugs in. Run regular spec plugs if you don't mind changing every 30-50K, run platinum or iridium plugs specific for your application if you want to change every 75-100K or so.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
About the only thing the "mileage" spark plugs will do is to increase the profit in the sellers pocket. Stick to the manufacturers recommend plugs and drive with a light foot and slow down.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With uncle sam breathing down auto makers neck about fuel mileage, I would think 1 or 2 MPG would turn some heads in Detroit.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever heard of CAFE (Coroporate Average Fuel Economy)

If simply putting in different spark plugs would get you an extra MPG.. You can bet the special plug would be OEM
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
I was told that some of the better more expensive ceramic spark plugs, will increase your gas mileage by 1 to 2 MPG. Is this true and what brands or spark plug number for the V-10. Thanks in advance........
This ruse has been around for most of my life,(which is considerable), it never worked and most likely never will. Been there done that.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this.. SOME spark plugs (P-tip for example) do not wear out as fast as standard tip plugs do.. This means that if your engine is clean and properly adjusted.. it stays that way lots longer

This is how they get the 100,000 mile tune up periods on Navistar engines, they use P-tip plugs (Among other things)

Since the plugs do not go "Out of spec" as fast... Your MPG over the life of the vehicle is higher.

Of course if you replaced standar plugs every moth you'd see the same increase.

But P-tips are standard on many engines now, and optional on just about all others. Your dealer has them in stock, so does the local Pep Boys.. No need to order via the net.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to clevinberg
I beleive if these claims about higher gas mileage were true, Ford and GM would install the plugs as standard equipment.
clevinberg is offline   Reply With Quote