Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Speedometer Gear Removal

On my last trip the speedometer quit working. I checked the inner cables, Calibration unit, Speedometer Gage and they were all good. Next I put a drive cable in the Drive Gear and checked it out. Something is stripped, hopefully the removable driven gear. NOW the Problem.. I've always seen them held in place with a small bolt, But it's different, it has no external locking tab/bolt. It appears to either be threaded or pressed into the housing. Anybody have any info or have dealt with one of these before?
Jpony56hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get better results if you post info as to what vehicle you are referring to. Year and model, etc.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #3

Opps! I know better. I was in the Ford F53 chassi Forum and forgot this post goes out to the general forums. The M/H is a 1988 Gulfstream HiRise on a Ford F53 Chassis with a 460 and C-6 transmission. The drive gear is in a very hard to get at location, but I'll try to get a picture of it today.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not think you have a Ford F53.
What you have is a 1988 John Deere Chassis W/460 V-8 Ford engine.
Then Gulf Stream built a home on it.

Here is what you are talking about:

The hex nut should unscrew and the cable should then come out with the driven gear.
The drive gear alignment is held in place on the shaft with a ball in the output shaft. The drive gear is also held in place on the shaft with a snap-ring.

You may have lost your ball if the drive gear melted.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Thanks! The things you can learn from just reading the Vehicle ID Plate. (Chassis. John Deer ).. Your pictures are correct, that's what I'm looking at. I had removed the inner cables for inspection and stuck a end into the driven unit to check it out. The spins in either direction and makes a ratcheting sound. I expected the driven gear to be a Nylon removable unit and the drive gear to be steel and on the transmission output shaft. This obviously is ass backyard, some disassembly required. Thanks Again for the Correct Information. I've had this M/H since 2003 and when I bought it from a local dealer, I was told it was a Ford chassis.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a free shop service manual for your chassis:
http://www.cdr-roc.com/89JD/89-JD-Chassis-manual.pdf

It is a very large download. But it covers the engine, transmission and just about everything on the chassis except the home part.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #7

Thanks. Theirs a lot of good info in there. I've had this rig a long time and spent a lot of hours in and under this thing, But theirs no substitute for a good service manual.

Tags
removal, speedometer