Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
No there is not.
You only use the one sensor for both operations and it is located on top of the rear axle in the center.

Now what? Bad ground somewhere or a bad ecu?
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #16

For the curious, did some snooping around and found two possibilities. I added a relay circuit that when the engine is on the chassis and house batteries are linked together (New mod) so I could run the PSW inverter (New mod) for the fridge and the stereo without running the generator. I have seen chatter that a sloppy 12vdc to the ecm can cause this type of symptom. Something to check.

Also there is a old ecm grounding mod to address the false speedo values in the scanner and how it effects the transmission causing shifting abnormalities.

ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2011-05-11_174206_a1.pdf
Old 12-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #17

Put a scope on the batteries with the inverter on and engine running.
This is 6 volts peak to peak noise!

Added a couple of snubber capacitors, one on the inverter

And one on the inverter circuit breaker.

Much cleaner!!!

Speed while parked is zero.

I need to gas up and dump the tanks for the test run.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not help you with the problem save to say if the Cruise works.. Then the speed sensor works.

But I can offer a temp solution if you have a SMART phone or a GPS.
ON my 'droid I have an app called "Speedometer" It uses the GPS chip to calculate my speed. far more accurate than any mechanical speedometer. even more accurate than police Radar. The Error factor is measured in inches per hour.

Simple "mount' the device where you can see it and invoke that app till you get the regular one fixed.

Torque Pro on my 'droid communicates witn an OBDII blue tooth adapter on my car and can display both vehicle speed sensor computerd MPH and GPS MPH.. Side by side.. Handy for calibration.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #19

I guess I was long winded on my previous post. I ran a couple errands to see if the repairs I did solved the problem of the tranny weird shifting and the scan gauge showing movement while stopped.

The inverter was generating interference that was effecting the ecu. That interference was eliminated by the capacitors that I added to the inverter power leg.

It drives normal now!
Old 12-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkbowers View Post
I have a 2000 coachman mirada. The odometer and cruse works but the speedometer does not. Need advice about the problem
My 2001 would register to 37 mph and stop. Below that it kept speed perfect. I did an exchange with a guy in PA that knows what he is doing. Sent me the exchange in two days. $210 including shipping both ways.

Instrument Cluster Dash Panel Repair | R.T. Grim Electronics
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #21

Test your speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkbowers View Post
I have a 2000 coachman mirada. The odometer and cruse works but the speedometer does not. Need advice about the problem
Hampshire speedometer repair in Alparetta, Ga. Will test it for you. My 1999 Airstream on a F53 chassis quit working. Hamp tested it and it was OK. The problem was with the ABS control module. Hope this helps.
Usmcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
1995 F53 speedo

My 1995 REXHALL on a F53 chassis had no active speedo and the engine ran rough along with erratic shifting. Found the speedo gear and sender gear worn out. These are located in the Park Brake Assembly aft of the transmission. After rebuilding the Park Brake Assembly everything works as NOS.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #23

Tramsmission/speedsensor problem

Thanks for the responses from everyone I appreciate them. I took my 1999 Bounder,(1998 chassis), to my mechanic for repair. He explained that the design of the unit, (Metal & Wood), made it very difficult to ground the electrical units properly. A grounding kit was not available for this MH. The mechanic built a grounding kit, (Several Wires starting at the PCM), and corrected the problem. He then re-flashed the transmission control component's to update and complete the job. The transmission shifts at the correct intervals without hesitation. This repair procedure required a lot of labor and was costly.

The speedometer works up to 40mph, I have to use the GPS for a correct reading for speed. I am content with that for now. I will look into the instrument cluster replacement as a solution for a future repair project.

Thanks again, Tunez
Tunez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer