Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #1

Stainless braid valve externder Schrader valve

Here's the question...

Anyone ever have a Schrader valve in a flex extension partially fail in the release mode? It seems to take and hold air just fine, but will only release air with some tools used to fill with bleed valves on the filling device.

My main issue is that 5 out of my 6 tires work normally with my TPMS sensors that screw on the valve stems. But one tire stem is problematic and it is not the sensor (switched tires).

Pressing in the Schrader valve doesn't work unless it is one of my pressure gauges and I release through the dump button.

Is this a simple Scrader valve removal and replacement? Is there any especially good ones out there? I hate to pay a tire shop for such a simple project but I have no experience with the extensions or tires in this range 245/75 19.5 at 90psi.

Thanks....
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look up cross fire tire dual fill and monitor. One fill port for both tires. Can be ordered in any pressure setting. Have it on my 1999 Dutch Star for 6 yrs. Tire shop put it on new tires when old ones were changed out. Shows you exactly when filled up to right pressure when cold. Had a window with line gage. I think you can see a video of how it works.

Sent from my moto e6 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cross fire on Amazon local truck tire shop could install for you.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221202-124844.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	381954

Old 12-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #4

Thanks...I will look into that system some more.

Some say you just screw the crossfire onto the existing valve stems. If so, I still need to replace that one bad Schrader valve.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would unit mounts to fake wheel cover by Phillips screw.
Looks hard to remove it is super easy
Will try to get a picture of mine later.
In back yard with afternoon dog playing time. Pugs love their 2 hr outside exercise.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220804_181347516_HDR.jpg
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	381959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220803_173414900_HDR.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	381960

Old 12-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cross fireClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221202_164722631.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	381963Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221202_164714001_HDR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	381964

Old 12-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had the same issue as the OP. Schrader valve seems ok. Took some detective work but found out that the braided valve extension core was too short. Moved to different wheels and it works. Ended up buying two new ones and has been fine since.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Duallyvalve will replace the existing short valve with a one piece that gets rid of all the issues asociated with extensions. I honestly had no issues with my Ford chassis with braided extensions, extensive issues involving 16K in repairs with solid extensions on my current diesel pusher. Will never use another extension on a dually install. My 2 cents
Old 12-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #9

Anyone have the answer to my question(s) in the OP?

"Is this a simple Scrader valve removal and replacement? Is there any especially good ones out there? "
Old 12-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Have had the same issue as the OP. Schrader valve seems ok. Took some detective work but found out that the braided valve extension core was too short. Moved to different wheels and it works. Ended up buying two new ones and has been fine since.
Thanks for directly answering part of my question with a personal experience.

Even when I get a tool and push the core in it still is hit or miss. At first I thought it would be a case of the "too short" but that really doesn't seem to be it unless I am just spazzing out...which after a lifetime of fixing things, after 5-10 tries on my part signals something more.

I am still looking for the answer to is whether I need to look for a specific size as most ads I look up don't really describe the size differences in valve cores. Maybe it is hard to answer, and that's OK, just keep pointing me in the right direction and I am pretty good at research.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Here's the question...

Anyone ever have a Schrader valve in a flex extension partially fail in the release mode? It seems to take and hold air just fine, but will only release air with some tools used to fill with bleed valves on the filling device.

My main issue is that 5 out of my 6 tires work normally with my TPMS sensors that screw on the valve stems. But one tire stem is problematic and it is not the sensor (switched tires).

Pressing in the Schrader valve doesn't work unless it is one of my pressure gauges and I release through the dump button.

Is this a simple Scrader valve removal and replacement? Is there any especially good ones out there? I hate to pay a tire shop for such a simple project but I have no experience with the extensions or tires in this range 245/75 19.5 at 90psi.

Thanks....
Quote:
Anyone have the answer to my question(s) in the OP?

"Is this a simple Scrader valve removal and replacement? Is there any especially good ones out there? "
Quote:
I am still looking for the answer to is whether I need to look for a specific size as most ads I look up don't really describe the size differences in valve cores. Maybe it is hard to answer, and that's OK, just keep pointing me in the right direction and I am pretty good at research.

My answer to your original and initial question is no, I never "had a Schrader valve in a flex extension partially fail in the release mode."

My answer to your second question is also no. It isn't "a simple Schrader valve removal and replacement" The reason why it isn't simple is because you have not identified the type of braided stainless steel valve stem extension that you have, and the type of extension you have is a determining factor for whether or not you even have a "Schrader valve" (hereinafter valve core) at the end that you are trying to attach a stem mountable TPMS sensor cap to.

In general, there are two types of braided stainless steel valve stem extensions.

One type remains pressurized at the same pressure as the tire and wheel assembly that it is attached to.

The other type remains UNpressurized, and only serves as a conduit through which pressure can pass when the rod inside of the extension is actuated mechanically by a physical force on the operator end, such as the pin plunger of a pressure gauge or inflator that normally depresses the valve opening pin of a valve core.

The latter type of extension is generally safer, as one can run over a road hazard such as a piece of 2" angle iron that is skinny enough to find its way in between the dual rear wheels, flung at road speed velocity, slicing or severing the braided valve stem extension. If the extension is not pressurized with the tire it serves, then any damage to the extension has no effect on the tire it serves.

On the other hand, with the former type of extension, that remains pressurized with the tire it serves by keeping the valve core on the wheel valve stem open for as long as the extension is attached, any damage to the extension that compromises the integrity of the extension, by extension compromises the pressure of the tire. Sudden air loss, rapid overloading of the outside tire in the dually pair, resulting in a single or dual blowout, along with the attendant damage to the underside of the motorhome that usually occurs.

That is the kind of experience that Scottkd shared, that you didn't ask for or about, but that cost him $16K to learn, and costs us nothing to learn from. Despite the direct to wheel mounted long valve stem from Dually Valves being solid metal, it was also constantly pressurized in the extension tube itself, so any road hazard damage to that metal tube would result in a loss of pressure to the tire it serves.

Your situation isn't that simple, because you want to permanently mount a TPMS monitor on the end of an extension that traverses the gap between the dual pair of wheels. Regardless of what type of stainless braided extension you have, the mounting of the TPMS to that extension will cause the extension to be in common pressure communication with the tire it serves.

Even if you have what the Wheel Masters brand markets as so called "Live Stem" extenders that normally would not be pressurized unless or until pressure checked with a guage or pressure adjusted with an inflator, the valve stem cap style TPMS doohicky add-on acts on the "live stem", which acts on the valve core in the valve stem directly attached to the wheel, thus making the extension the same pressure as the tire, which enables the TPMS to monitor the tire's pressure. This causes the extension to be more of a liability, due to its vulnerability to road hazards.

The tip of a live stem (or rod actuated and released) type of braided stainless steel valve stem extender might NOT be a valve core (or Schrader valve). It could simply be a stiff cable.

However, the type of braided stainless steel valve stem extension that is designed and intended to be pressurized all the time may have a valve core at the operator end, and have a fixed pin at the wheel mounted valve stem end to permanently hold open the valve core at the wheels valve stem.

So the answer to your question depends on what you have.

Yet the answer does NOT depend on any "specific size" of valve core. For automotive and truck purposes, all valve core sizes are the same. Valve cores change sizes for off road earth moving equipment (bigger) and racing bicycles (smaller), but for a 19.5" tire and wheel assembly such as what is on a 2022 Entegra Vision 29S, a standard automotive and light truck size valve core rated to 200 psi will be one common size.

Aircraft rated valve cores have higher quality elastomeric in the sealing rings, which you might favor as a pilot, and they are the same size too.

Yet since it isn't clear that the operator ends of your particular extensions have valve cores, or just guided actuating rods, it cannot be said that replacing a valve core whose presence isn't established will address the issue you are having.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM   #12

O R - thank you for an excellent reply and the time it took to post it.

Because the drivers side worked normally with my screw on TPMS, I was assuming the braided extensions were "live" all the time.

Stopped by a commercial Tire place today...lot's of Diesel pushers, tractor/trailers and large commercial rigs there for service and have been around for decades with an excellent reputation. They worked on my last RV, a Class C and the customer service and communication was very good although the techs inflated my new tires to sidewall versus required psi.

They weren't all that enthralled with Cat's Eye or Crossfire dually systems, but didn't turn me off completely to them.

They discussed the solid versus braided systems with me...and sent me home with a half dozen valve cores free of charge and answered every question very well.

Again...to all thank you very much for the feedback.

Tags
valve