Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Steering wheel cover

I have an ENTEGRA Vision class A motorhome on the F53 chassis. Wondering if anyone has installed a leather or silicone steering wheel wrap or cover. I’m pretty sure my steering wheel is 19 inches, and I can’t find any covers that size.

I had one on my class C motorhome, and just find it so much more comfortable for my hands, especially on those longer days of driving.
Okanagan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
there are some on amazon in the truck section.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Semi...ng+wheel+cover
rvmantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmantech View Post
there are some on amazon in the truck section.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Semi...ng+wheel+cover
Thanks, but I had already seen that one. That’s the issue I’m having, this is the only 19 inch wrap I’ve seen. I was hoping for more choices, but I guess the F53 19 inch steering wheel is an odd size.
Okanagan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two years ago I purchased a leather cover that I had to sew in place but it fit our 2013 SW just fine. You have to measure your SW so they custom make them to fit and there's many choices of colors. I'll look in my paper work to see if I kept the paper work. I looked and found nothing. I'm sure you can find a company that makes a leather cover.

I'll post this then do a search to see what I can find and let you know. The cover was in the $70 range so it's not cheap.

I did a quick search and "Wheel skins" is one company but I'm not sure that's the company we used. I might have the paper work at home.

This is following 25,000 miles of use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03639.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	221032  
Old 10-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

I think you're looking for a cover for a 17.5" wheel. That's what's listed in the F53 specifications

This old thread may help:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/steer...er-247196.html

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Two years ago I purchased a leather cover that I had to sew in place but it fit our 2013 SW just fine. You have to measure your SW so they custom make them to fit and there's many choices of colors.

TeJay,
I've looked a bit on amazon & eBay for sew on SW covers for my size wheel and gave up. Awhile back i put a sew on cover on my Ford ranger and love it, didn't make the SW feel larger and covered up the worn parts.

My F53 wheel feels sticky after an hour+ of driving so again you have motivated me to search on. Bruce
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I think you're looking for a cover for a 17.5" wheel. That's what's listed in the F53 specifications

I too am looking for a decent one. I taped the steering wheel diameter last time I parked and thought it was 16 inch. Then I get home and start looking and some of them say tape the circumference of the grip. Going to have to find that out so I'll double check my measurement.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The F-53 is 17.5" in diameter as indicated. I don't know what Wheel Skin needed to make the cover but it's leather and has worked fine for the last several years. All I did was Google, "Custom made leather steering wheel covers" and got many results.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Couple quick things...

Older (pre 2012?) F53s used a 16.5" wheel that was common with some other Super Duty trucks.

I have no idea where Ford measures.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Sounds like you better measure the wheel to be sure what size it is.
rvmantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you check with a cover manufacturer they will list measurements needed to provide one that will fit. Most want the widest diameter and the grip circumference at the fattest part.

I must have uses Wheel Skins because I don't see to many other choices. Or those that do sell also sell WS covers.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I too am looking for a decent one. I taped the steering wheel diameter last time I parked and thought it was 16 inch. Then I get home and start looking and some of them say tape the circumference of the grip. Going to have to find that out so I'll double check my measurement.

Just rechecked. 17 1/2 diameter and 3 3/4 grip circumference. Next week I start taking tape measure reading lessons. They say most people can master it in two weeks.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Son came home from school (10th grade) and said that his shop teacher showed him how to read and USE a ruler. Most kids are shown how to read a ruler in elementary school but since the "Teacher" often never APPLY it and actually measure things it usually won't stick. That has always been my complaint with the academic world. Teach but never show how it applies or how to use it in the real world. Most of them can't.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
TeJay,
I've looked a bit on amazon & eBay for sew on SW covers for my size wheel and gave up. Awhile back i put a sew on cover on my Ford ranger and love it, didn't make the SW feel larger and covered up the worn parts.

My F53 wheel feels sticky after an hour+ of driving so again you have motivated me to search on. Bruce
Just finished sewing on my wheel skins steering whell cover. Thank you TeJay for the info.

Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor

My 2008 F53 chassis wheel measured 17 1/2 dia. X 3 1/2 cir., I used a cloth tape measure. The measurments did vary slightly depending if i was on or in the finger detent on the back of the wheel. Those are the measurements i gave them, perfect fit.

I used black and sand colors. I ordered samples of various colors i thought would be close and when they arrived in a few days the DW and i compared them to our coach. DW has the final say on everything that goes into the coach that needs matching. Placed my order and in less than a week it arrived, super fast.

Soon after I started the install and at first thought it was a tad short as pulling the thread with much force the two ends weren't meeting. I did about 5 or so holes and took them out and re did them and they now came together. The black leather is a bit more stout and harder to pull together. The Sand leather was more compliant and didnt need as much tightness to come together. I did put the joint for the stitches slightly off center to the back of the wheel so the sewing and where the two ends met weren't as obvious. A dozen or so times i had to let the thread un twist as it would form knots while i was trying to pull the thread thru.

I did wear a harbor freight glove on my right hand to pull the thread tight. Took about 6 holes before i realized a glove was needed.

All in all not a hard or difficult job to do, took me about 2hrs.

No more sticky wheel after an hour of driving and it looks way cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	224364  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, steering