Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, considering it's been five years since I've had a flat, and that is the "Shelf life" of a tire, so If I had a spare I'd be tossing it now.

My suggestion is to carry the 400 dollars, plastic is likely best here, and when, or to be more precise IF you get a flat, Have them send you a tire guy.

Yes, 22.5 XRV's can be hard to find but Coach Net can very likely find you one.

Of course a Tire Pressure Monitoring system, and having the coach weighed so you know what SHOULD be in the tires, each tire, independent of the others (Save for the duals which get paired) can help prevent that blow out.

Low and high pressure both can cause that sound we dread.

Additional note: On many rigs, the tire is the least of the damage when one blows.. It can take out the fender (Front) or electrical and plumbing lines on the rears. Easily causing a couple thousand in damage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I carry a mounted spare, 20 ton jack, 30" breaker bar and an impact driver.
Coach Net and Good Sam are great.... IF you can reach them in the middle of nowhere!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
I carry a mounted spare, 20 ton jack, 30" breaker bar and an impact driver.
Coach Net and Good Sam are great.... IF you can reach them in the middle of nowhere!!
X2....what if, when the tire goes flat, you ruin the wheel? Then they need to return, find you not only a tire, but a wheel. I'm 69 and change my 19.5 tires by myself. With the knowledge & proper tools it is not that hard.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #18

Kathy_MD If you will be traveling in rural areas it is smart to carry a spare tire without a rim. The F53 chassis you have most likely has 22.5 tires with aluminum wheels having rear inner steel wheels, therefore a mounted spare is useless. These tires are not stocked by all dealers and you would have to be lucky to fine one of the same manufacturer to match what you have. If you think you are going to change a flat yourself then try it in 98 degree weather on the side of a major highway with trucks whizzing by you at 70 mph, or in the rain, or an uneven pavement. Leave the flat tire to a tire service and carry a matching spare so you can get back on the road asap. Understand that your road service covers your needs but will not be a dealer selected by your tire make such as Goodyear or others. You get who is closest and contracted by the service company. Also you don't want to pay the price for a tire when you are broke down and in need.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My thinking is that it gives you flexability (and as someone above said. a good-luck charm ;-)

If you have the room, and are not too close to being overweight, I would carry the spare on a rim. It could, depending on the circumstances, be the difference between being on your way, or on the back of a tow truck.
Avatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a mounted tire under the MH and I'm happy that it's there! Last July 4th weekend we were on the expressway near Big Horn Montana when an inside dually blew out. I pulled over and found two thing quite obvious, the first was that the air conditioner was working well because when I stepped outside I was hit by a blast of VERY hot air. The second thing was that I had zero desire to change the tire myself. Thank goodness for cellphones because it only took a few minutes to find the ONE tire guy who was still available for a service call within a 150 mile radius! A holiday weekend is a miserable time to find someone who will service a blown tire! When he showed up about an hour later he was please that it was a mounted tire because he wasn't sure where he'd come up with a wheel on the 4th of July. The tire rack on the Winnebago Sightseer is positioned under, and just forward, of the rear bumper. When he began to remove the retaining bolts to lower it he almost killed himself when all the weight came crashing down, missing his head by about an inch. He did a great job replacing the tire and then putting the rack back up with a hydraulic jack.
While he was working on this my wife was on the phone trying to find a tire dealer for replacements for the rear tires. (We'd fortunately replaced the front tires in Seattle about two weeks earlier) We were able to make it to BigHorn Tire in Gillette Montana before they closed and had 4 new tires in nothing flat (pun intended). Bottomline, I really want to minimize my time on the shoulder of an expressway by having everything ready to go when the tire guy shows up. Yeah, the mounted tire is heavier and will cost me a little on the mileage, but camping out in the middle of nowhere is not fun on a hot day!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I carry an unmounted spare in a compartment that slides into the underside of the coach. Last year I had an outside rear tire changed the mechanic did everything with 2 bars and my outriggers down the wheel stayed mounted on the coach during the operation.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #22

Thank you for all the replies - after reading them I believe, for me, the best option is tire on rim.

Katherine
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I understand that coachnet will pay for the service call but won't pay to have tire mounted on rim.
I also have Coachnet and carry an unmounted spare. When I had a blow-out last year, had to pay $35 out of pocket for mounting. Rest of service free.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank God I had a spare last year in Branson, MO we just pulled out of camp site when we picked up a rock that went through our front left tire. Wish we had one in our new motorhome.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote