RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #1

Store spare tire on rim or not

I have room in my front compartment to store a spare on a rim or just the tire. I can get a rim and have the tire mounted.

Is there any benefit (I have Coach net) to storing the tire on the rim?

Thanks,
Katherine
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy_MD
I have room in my front compartment to store a spare on a rim or just the tire. I can get a rim and have the tire mounted.

Is there any benefit (I have Coach net) to storing the tire on the rim?

Thanks,
Katherine
I carry an unmounted spare and also have coachnet. I understand that coachnet will pay for the service call but won't pay to have tire mounted on rim. I think it's a small price to pay to be on my way.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry an unmounted spare in the trunk of the toad.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unless you can change the tire yourself, carrying a rim around is a waste of money. If you are not sure if you can do it yourself, you probably can not. It is about a 10 minute job for the tire truck and will not cost that much.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry tire only under the coach. A good tire repair tech can remove and replace a tire very easy. Most road service men can do it without removing the rim from the coach.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
We carry tire only under the coach. A good tire repair tech can remove and replace a tire very easy. Most road service men can do it without removing the rim from the coach.

I'd sure pay to see that--especially on an inside dually (rim shot)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
I carry an unmounted spare and also have coachnet. I understand that coachnet will pay for the service call but won't pay to have tire mounted on rim. I think it's a small price to pay to be on my way.
They will mount your tire at no charge in fact if you don't have a spare they will bring you a new tire and mount it at no charge other then the price of the tire it self.. In other words the service is always no charge....
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am 71 years old. When I got ready for my spring trip, I found my inside rear dually flat. Driving from my storage pad to my house. (300ft) The tire came off the rim seat. I had to remove both tires, reseat the tire and reinstall. I am not burly. I am only 5'10". I say all this, to say If I can do this anyone can. I believe in spares. I have had 3 blowouts and 1 tread seperation, in 43 yrs of camping. I always carry a mounted spare and change myself. I can change a tire and be underway in less than 30 min.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With coach net if you have a flat they may send you a tire guy.. Or they may send just a tow truck.. A Tire Guy can mount your spare (But read on) a tow truck can not. But if the tire is mounted on the rim, he can mount the wheel.

Now the downside.. Tires are designed to be driven on, The spare is NOT driven on, I've seen spares go bad faster than service tires because they were not being driven on.. However if it's in a "under deck" storage (out of the sun) it generally lasts longer.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am 71 years old. When I got ready for my spring trip, I found my inside rear dually flat. Driving from my storage pad to my house. (300ft) The tire came off the rim seat. I had to remove both tires, reseat the tire and reinstall. I am not burly. I am only 5'10". I say all this, to say If I can do this anyone can. I believe in spares. I have had 3 blowouts and 1 tread seperation, in 43 yrs of camping. I always carry a mounted spare and change myself. I can change a tire and be underway in less than 30 min.
I admire your spirit.

I have a different philosophy. I like chatting with AAA persons while they work.

22.5 rim tires are not always easy to come by so maybe carrying one would be a good idea. A rim? Well if you see yourself changing a tire OK.

I do not---but then I could have to be towed from the side of the road someday---and sit for a bit while they find a tire----who knows? I have time just do not want to chance spending any of it getting a hernia repaired.

I'm 68 and it is not that I cannot change a tire--I just do not want to.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
With coach net if you have a flat they may send you a tire guy.. Or they may send just a tow truck.. A Tire Guy can mount your spare (But read on) a tow truck can not. But if the tire is mounted on the rim, he can mount the wheel.
If I had Coach net and they sent me a tow truck driver for a flat tire I would switch to Good Sam.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not coachnet's fault.. Sometiems the nearest mobileTire Guy is a long way off. and it is less expensive to tow you in, if possible.

I had the good sense to blow my tire less than a mile from the mobile tire guy.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #13

When I had a blowout, they asked if I had spare and if it was mounted. With a mounted spare, they just sent a strong kid out with a jack. I was told the truck with junk to change tire to wheel was a long way off. As it was, I had to wait 2 hours. My wife wouldn't let me change it even though I could have real quick like. I carry all the stuff. 19.5. I say if you can carry a mounted spare, do it. It may make your trip go faster.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
My hat is off to you sir. I hope I can do it when the time comes. I too carry a spare mounted on the rim, but I believe that just carring the spare has been my lucky rabbit - I haven't had a flat tire in 60,000 miles. As soon as I stop carring a spare you know it will happen.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote