Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Storing your coach

When you store your coach for extended times have you ever used your jacks to lift the coach and installed jack stands under the axles to keep the weight off the tires.
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've never done it nor heard of it being done but doesn't sound like a bad idea. Just gut feel tells me it sight be best if the tires weren't all the way off the ground but were sitting on plywood with jack stands releaving most, but not all, of the weight.

It'll be interesting to see what others think.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Storing

Equalizer Systems said they don't recomend jacking tires off the ground or mostley off the ground with the jacks. When you level the coach with the system the tires have very little weight off of them. They also said that WD-40 should be the only spray to use and to wipe the jacks when retracting.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Equalizer Systems said they don't recomend jacking tires off the ground or mostley off the ground with the jacks. When you level the coach with the system the tires have very little weight off of them. They also said that WD-40 should be the only spray to use and to wipe the jacks when retracting.
Interesting that they would recommend WD-40 as I've always heard that it is a dirt attractant. We use a product called Jig-a-loo for our lubricating needs including the infamous Kwikee steps. Jig-A-Loo - an invisible silicone-based lubricant and water-repellent !
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Storing

WD-40 will not attract dirt, dust etc or hold it as other sprays such as white grease. They said it washes the surface it is sprayed on and lubricates unlike grease. I had a problem with my basement locks and 2 locksmiths said WD-40 only sprayed into the lockes for the same reason, it washes and lubricates. The coach jacks still need to be wiped when your bring them up.

Just stating what the mfg. said.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i always store mine with the jacks down so there isnt as much weight on the suspension to hopefully let it last a little longer ....... At first i didnt do that but have noticed since it seems to ride nicer since the springs have a chance to strech out LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or it might be my IMAGINATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #7

Also, if you live in a warm or hot climate, I recommend taking all electronics out. Carbon/Smoke Alarms, Radios, Remotes for TV DVD ect.. I have had batteries popping because of the 125 degree heat inside the motorhome in AZ. Hopefully this winter it will be put under covered storage.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #8

We live in Vegas, and when not in use we store our coach in our driveway plugged into shore power.

I keep converter turned off as 110w solar panel keeps both coach and chassis battery charged. During the hot summer months I set the AC thermostat to 90 degrees.

As a portion of our driveway is on an incline, I keep the rear jacks down which lifts the tag wheels off the surface a bit. I've never lubed the jack rams or for that matter cleaned them in 10 years, and to date no leaks around seals.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #9

Store ours in the climate controlled caves in the area where we live. Sure is nice not having to winterize.
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I store Jacks down with wood or plastic pads under tires when parked on blacktop. If parked on Concrete no need for the pads.
Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote