Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #1

Struggling going uphill

Hi,

One month ago I got a 96 Bounder on a F53 chassis with 21k miles with a dead fuel pump. With few days to fix it and move it from the POs property the only fuel pump available locally was one of the replacement kits without the whole assembly that Oreilly sells.

Alone, with covid and with the leveling jacks holding the tank was not fun I can guarantee.
But at the end the fuel pump worked great and everything was great until few days ago that I started to loss power on hills and some hesitation going flat. For example on one specific hill last week I was cruising at 45mph and now struggling at 25mph.

Before I replaced the pump I read on this great forum that these pumps kits are not reliable but was the only option that I have.
Yesterday after I drove two hours I started to get CEL intermittently, like 4 times for less than a minute each each time. So today I jumped the EEC and got:

33 or 133: not sure which one as there is one brief light before the two steady round of 3 lights each. Also I cant find a 133 code but some people say there is an oxygen sensor P0133 code.
If its a 33 code: ALL EGR did not open/ respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittently EVP EVR PFE

172: Oxygen sensor not switching system is or was lean Single, Right or Rear HO2S Fuel control

182: Fuel system was rich at idle Single, Right or Rear HO2S Fuel control

So the question is, do you think its the new fuel pump failing? If yes I dont want to drop the tank again so I already have a high pressure external fuel pump and everything to connect it between the failing in tank pump and the fuel filter but first I want to make it sure is not other issue to be resolved.

Thanks.
Juano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #2

Did you replace the fuel filter too?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you replace the fuel filter too?
3 times.
Juano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

Next step is to check fuel pressure and flow.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #5

You got to get a fuel pressure gauge on it.. if that is what you suspect.. your there.. we are not.. most auto parts store will lend you one for free.. just have someone use your cell phone with camera and flash and record the reading you get.. under full load..
Or put fuel pressure gauge on.. see GLOWSHIFT.COM look under ford f350 for fuel rail adapter.. then temp mount where you can see it..
I added glowshift gauge and it took me longer.. to decide where to mount it.. then to install.. so simple..
SO.. good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano View Post
But at the end the fuel pump worked great and everything was great until few days ago that I started to loss power on hills and some hesitation going flat. For example on one specific hill last week I was cruising at 45mph and now struggling at 25mph.
It may be fuel related and it may not. Possibly a coincidence...

1) If your fuel tank was low while climbing an incline, the pump may have been struggling to find fuel. Try again with a full tank.

2) I would fill up the gas tank and add the appropriate amount of Sea Foam. 1 bottle/20gal. of gas. Let that clean out your entire fuel system. Your coach is 25yrs. old. A good cleaning of the entire fuel system wouldn't hurt. I do this once a year as a PM item and I also only use top tier fuel.

3) When's the last time you replaced your air filter? A dirty air filter can account for 10% loss in power
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #7

Somewhere in this thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/rela...es-508562.html is a picture of the gonk I found in my in-tank filter around the third (?, I lost count) time I had the fuel pump out. I felt it when I started having reduced power, even my wife noticed. As soon as I noticed it I knew I was starving for fuel yet again though I certainly didn't expect what I found. Not after having cleaned the tank and all.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

The codes starting with a P are OBD 2 codes. You don't have an OBD2 system, you have a Ford Specific OBD1 system. The code numbers between OBD2 and Ford OBD1 do NOT correlate.

Your Ford OBD1 system generates only 3 digit codes. Earlier Ford OBD1 systems would generate 2 digit codes, and none mixed 2 and 3 digits.

Both your symptoms and the 172 code point to a likely second fuel pump failure. For a more conclusive test, you would need to get a fuel pressure gauge, and connect it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and have it visible to someone when the RV is being driven. You would expect to see readings of about 30psi at idle and 40psi at full throttle while stopped.

While stopped, when you rev the engine, you won't see 40psi for long, as the reading will fall as the engine speeds up.

That doesn't matter, as a bad pump can got to 40psi briefly while stopped. This is why you need to drive it, preferably up that hill, and if you don't see 40psi on the gauge while doing that, then the engine won't be getting enough fuel. It's possible the fuel filter or the fuel pressure regulator could be causing the low fuel pressure, and it's worth checking them, (because as you say, it's no fun changing a fuel pump) but unfortunately it is more likely to be the fuel pump than the pressure regulator.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
US1

Steel fuel lines have pin holes and sucking air= starving fuel?
Old 11-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Steel fuel lines have pin holes and sucking air= starving fuel?
The Engine fuel lines do not suck air as they are under pressure.
If they had pin holes they would be leaking fuel.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
Dom

Had similar symptoms as you, turned out to be plugged catalytic converter
Old 11-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Had similar symptoms as you, turned out to be plugged catalytic converter
Hmmm, On what vehicle was that?

You do know the OP's vehicle has no catalytic converter.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:23 AM   #13

Thanks everybody!.

Do you think that the high pressure fuel pump that I bought will assist the failing pump to give the engine the needed fuel? It’s a 90psi external fuel pump and I know that I’ve a pressure regulator but not sure how much pressure it will handle.

Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #14

I did an external pump as part of testing. It actually helped slightly which surprised me given that the root problem at the time was a clogged filter at the internal tank fuel pump. It was only a short and temporary improvement though. At the time I put the external pump on I was unaware of the clog. I later found that the output of the pump had apparently been permanently reduced by straining to pull fuel through the clogged filter. Annoying.
I later had another partial clog that I was able to catch before it was too bad a problem and the fuel pump recovered its performance just fine. It also was a different brand than the Delphi that seemed to have been damaged. There may have been multiple factors at play. My work on my fuel pumps was not conducted strictly adhering to scientific method.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote