Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sumo Springs on a pre 99 chassis

I have been toying with buying a front axle AIR LIFT system for my 1996 chassis. A couple of days ago I saw a thread about the Sumo product in this forum. Everything I can find on here pertains to the current Ford chassis. Does anyone have any experience with these on the older chassis?

I am not unhappy with my ride quality, would just like to bring the front up a little. I don't have jacks and the right front is a little low, that spring was replaced sometime prior by the PO and I think it is a little weaker. I never need to block anything other than that corner. By the floor-plan that should be the lightest corner. With all the basement bays empty I have the same static height difference and the first item of any weight on that side is the refer just ahead of the rear axle. This is the FP except no slide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year - I installed the Firestone air bags on my 1997 F53. It made a world of difference in stabilizing the front end. I only run with 20# of air in them. Was a breeze to install.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
Last year - I installed the Firestone air bags on my 1997 F53. It made a world of difference in stabilizing the front end. I only run with 20# of air in them. Was a breeze to install.
I was ready to drop the dime for Air Lift, still hoping someone pops up that has used the Sumo on their older chassis. I wrote their Customer Service asking for some info, never replied.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #4

Suggest you locate a local spring shop and talk with them? They should be able to do about anything you'd ever want to do pretty reasonably!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I remember correctly, the Sumo springs will do nothing for your ride height. I have airbags, front(20 psi) and rear(75 psi), they do help the stability and the handling of the rig, and they do improve the ride also.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
If I remember correctly, the Sumo springs will do nothing for your ride height. I have airbags, front(20 psi) and rear(75 psi), they do help the stability and the handling of the rig, and they do improve the ride also.
When I searched the forum for references to the Sumo product I found mention of them being in contact in the static position. My question then became can the Sumo spring be shimmed on one side to help level the front side to side. Sumo never replied to me, if I don't get some indication I'll go back to the air bag possibility, with individual pressure side to side.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I just ordered the Air Lift #57140 from Amazon $261 plus there is a $50 rebate from Air Lift so cost is a wash with Sumo Springs.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brought the coach home to install the Air-Lift Saturday and it was a no-go. I could not mount the passenger side, just not enough room (fore and aft) between the engine cradle and the shock mount. The only position that gave me a decent mount had the bottom bracket touching the bottom eye of the shock absorber . Laid underneath that thing for 1 1/2 hours trying various placements. Back to Amazon today, just for info part number 57140.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Strange, that is the kit number I used for the front of my 97 F53 chassis. I would call airlift. As far as I know it is the only kit for the front that they make.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply David:

I'm a decent mechanic and I just could not find a way to make the thing work. It is the correct set, they only make the one for all the F53's. I have only owned the MH for 2 years and I did wonder if the shocks were OE. The lower shock joint is pretty large, if it had been a quarter inch smaller diameter I may have been able to get a fitment. The steering damper anchor plate was causing some grief also but not insurmountable.
I was installing these to correct ride height side to side, not a necessity, just a thing that was bugging me.

BTW, do all the F53's have lifting plate/tow hooks mounted below the axle?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe they all have the towhooks . I have been looking at the install instructions online and I believe they may give you a better pic of what is happening. As I recall the instructions and pics that came with the kit were fuzzy at best. As you said there is and has been only one kit made for the older f53's.

Tags
chassis