Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chuck,
Your point is well taken. Even when you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear each improvement does add up. When the roads are above average the ride and handling are great. When the roads or sections of the roads drop the quality of the ride we just slow down as best we can.

On most interstates the inside lane which is less traveled by the big rigs is usually a lot smoother. I'll stay in that lane and other traffic will take the rough outer lane and based on the vehicle their ride is just fine. We know because many of us did drive vehicles other than RV's made by FORD!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Chuck,
Your point is well taken. Even when you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear each improvement does add up. When the roads are above average the ride and handling are great. When the roads or sections of the roads drop the quality of the ride we just slow down as best we can.

On most interstates the inside lane which is less traveled by the big rigs is usually a lot smoother. I'll stay in that lane and other traffic will take the rough outer lane and based on the vehicle their ride is just fine. We know because many of us did drive vehicles other than RV's made by FORD!!!

That's been our approach too. But we're finding that on most of today's interstates even driving at 5 MPH will not give us a smoother ride. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
My previous post has already been referenced in this thread. But to reiterate for those that didn't follow that link.

My personal opinion is that Sumos are a mixed bag. They help with body control but they do make the ride harsher. I wish I had gone with air bags rather than the Sumos. I don't think air bags would soften the ride much at all, but they would be adjustable and Sumos are not.

I should add, that we installed front and rear Sumos and drove 25,000 miles with them. Then I removed them entirely and drove 5,000 miles without them. In doing this I proved to myself that 1) they really did make the ride quite a bit harsher and 2) they really did remove a lot of the wallowing and body tilt. In the end I put them back on the RV because it does handle curves and road crown better with the Sumos than without.

I also have a Roadmaster rear anti-roll bar and Koni FSD shocks all around.

The Ford F53 chassis is a dump truck/delivery truck chassis. It's built strong but a smooth ride is not a design consideration. Weight handling and durability are it's main design features.

Short of replacing the entire front and rear suspension - aka Liquid Springs - you can improve the handling and body roll but not much else.

We've decided that we spend a lot more time parked in a campground than driving. And our RV is super accommodating at the campsite. So, that's what we concentrate on and ignore the rough ride as much as we can. We've shortened our travel days to 250-300 miles max so the drive doesn't bother so much.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:22 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Sumos front and rear made the handling a little better with roll when cornering, but did nothing good or bad for the harshness of the ride over potholes or rough spots or expansion strips or bridge transitions. They did not help nor hinder the smoothness of the ride; it is still extremely rough on real rough roads and smooth as silk on smooth roads. There is a slight improvement in handling, but maybe not worth the cost.
If I ever get another F53 it will have Liquid Spring suspension.
Thanks,
wog099 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #19

Ditto to "creativepart's" experience. I've had Sumo springs installed on the rear of ours, a newer F53 with the more robust sway bars, which did help reduce body roll/sway at the expense of a slightly harsher ride. It was worth it -- barely. So I'm not planning on installing the front Sumo springs. Installing a SafeTPlus steering damper on the front really reduced jostling by wind and trucks. Really worth it.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #20

I have a 2020 F-53 24k V8 chassis. The front jounces would not stay in the upper holder so I replaced them with an Air Lift air bag kit that I custom fit to the front suspension. I run these bags at 45 psi each.
On the rear I added the yellow SumoSprings kit. I also replaced the rear jounces with 7 inch RubberShox bump stops. While these upgrades did firm up the rear ride. This resulting in stopping the side to side sway and tail wag from truck wind blast. I am now happy with the ride. I carry a full tank of fresh water and I’m still under 15,000 lbs on the rear axle. I eliminated the overall harsh ride at all four corners when I lowered the 22.5 inch tire pressures to 93 psi cold from the 110 psi.
I don’t think I can improve the ride of this heavy truck chassis any further without spending a large sum of money for liquid springs….NOT going to happen!
Safe travels.
jeffdeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider Air Bags

I will throw my 2cents. I am relatively new to the F53 after selling my Chevy Kodiak Super C, and was a little disappointed at the harsh ride. After a few trips and struggling with keeping it under control I put air bags on it.

For the price of about $500 and 3.5hrs for the easy install, I am very pleased. Took the slight lean to the passenger side out, reduced the harsh ride and nearly eliminated any semi-truck push/pull. Passenger side is at 65psi and driver is at 55 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Also they have internal jounce bumpers ...

The only negative; Careful when putting the front jacks down to not over extend the bags. So far so good.
Pacman774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman774 View Post
I will throw my 2cents. I am relatively new to the F53 after selling my Chevy Kodiak Super C, and was a little disappointed at the harsh ride. After a few trips and struggling with keeping it under control I put air bags on it.

For the price of about $500 and 3.5hrs for the easy install, I am very pleased. Took the slight lean to the passenger side out, reduced the harsh ride and nearly eliminated any semi-truck push/pull. Passenger side is at 65psi and driver is at 55 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Also they have internal jounce bumpers ...

The only negative; Careful when putting the front jacks down to not over extend the bags. So far so good.

Good to hear, you wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?
KingKid is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53