Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We absolutely love our 38' gasser and have had no major issues with the quality of ride. It could be because of the larger chassis and the 22.5 size tires. We have put the Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer on and Centramatic wheel balancers but that's about it. It is due for shock replacement and I'm still debating between Koni and Bilstein. We also don't drive over 350 miles per day and that was also when we had the DP.
We've had a DP but prefer gas due to ability to do minor work and affordability of general maintenance. We are currently doing a dream trip to CA and couldn't be more pleased with what we have and how our RV has performed thus far.
Just enjoy what you have and and be thankful. Not everyone has the ability to take this unbelievable adventure.
Happy Camping!
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Drove from Melbourne FL to L A in 3 days. Our 1999 Dutch Star drove great. Just shocks at 40000 and centering front system. Not a big strain, just long days. Worst part strong cross winds in Texas. That's traveling with 3 pugs. Don't quite understand all these problems.
Guess I'm just luckyAttachment 380619

Sent from my moto e6 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
I couldn't agree more!
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #87

F53 wrestling

[QUOTE=Jacjetlag;6350340]Most people will be exhausted after a day of driving one of these. 300 miles a day was my limit. You will make endless small steering corrections as you do your best to stay centered in your lane. Pot holes are brutal.

I have an F53, 2022 Winnebago 29 foot Adventurer. We have been limiting ourselves to driving 300 miles at a time because of the "wrestling match." I recently added Koni Shocks for about a 1000.00, improved ride. I just added steering stabilizer from Road Master for around 800.00. The drive home was much better. The ultimate test is when my wife drives. So far I'm very pleased.
I couldn't justify spending over 20,000 dollars on Liquid Springs that I had quoted to me.
So far so good I think for less that 2,000 everything is much better.
boracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boul View Post
Hi everyone i am looking to put a 2 inch. wheel spacer on the front axle (1997 Coachmen Catalina class A) to have a wider wheel track or is it better to replace the wheels with one with a smaller offset? did someone ever did that mod.? the chassi is ford F450. Tks .:
Whether you have a deeper offset wheel or spacers, the loading on the spindles and bearings will be the same. I urge you, however, to only use adapters or spacers that are “hub centric”. Also, the fit of center hole of your wheels and the hub itself should be very tight. A number of manufacturers, including Porsche, have implemented adapters like this on their production vehicles.
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by boul View Post
Hi everyone i am looking to put a 2 inch. wheel spacer on the front axle (1997 Coachmen Catalina class A) to have a wider wheel track or is it better to replace the wheels with one with a smaller offset? did someone ever did that mod.? the chassis is ford F450. Tks .:
I assume you have a 1997 F53 with a solid front axle, not F450, since you said class A.

The motorhome box sits on the springs. Moving the tires out doesn't change anything from the motorhome's point of view, still sits on the same springs. Ride won't change.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:40 PM   #90

Hello RV enthusist
My first RV was a 2003 Fleetwood no slides and yes whatever I did tire pressure, loading and adjusted driving still like i was beat up driving from LA to Vegas.
This RV was the workhorse chasis. After 6 months of researching and talking to RVists I pulled the trigger on a 35 footer with two slides. I found this chasis to be the most solid on the road.It was like night and day. This also was a workhorse chasis. Then after few years got back into a 2006 National SeaBreeze used in 2014 and still running from 10k to now 52k miles. Also a 35 footer though with the Ford V10. Both chasis I was towing a 2002 Suburban. I’ve done new tires between 90-95 psi depending on season. I now have the blessing from the RV gods Koni FSD’s all around, tightened up the stock sway bars from you tube. Always keep full tank of fresh water and fuel. And loaded with the normal goodies. This rig was optioned with air bags in the rear which I load 40-50 psi. It still rides like a uhaul truck but a lot better if you can understand that concept. But LA to Vegas cruise like a charm. Future options to add are the sumo springs when finances permits. I’ve driven a DP no questions ride is incredible but nowadays DP cost is out of reach for my pockets. Just my 2 cents 35’ plus lengths are stable chasis from my experience. Happy and safe travels.
DaddyNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #91

Thank you for the advised.
boul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:17 AM   #92

I've driven so many older wandering trucks through my working life my F53 seems OK to me. Now if all else I ever drove was a newer Lexus or something all the time I guess I'd be more sensitive.
I have noted that when pulling our toad it requires more corrections. My wife as passenger even noticed. I was kicking around a rear track bar to help with that but earlier in this thread I read that I don't have a front bar. I went and looked, sure enough. I thought there might be more info forthcoming about that but maybe not. Now I'm kind of thinking maybe I ought to see about a front bar before going to the rear? I've seen the rear ones, who sells the front ones?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #93

There's plenty of justification for complaining about the ride of the F53, as all of the "fixes" attest to. The reality is that it's a low-volume production truck chassis with leaf springs and solid axles that's often overloaded.

We picked up our 2021 WBGO Adventurer 29B in late March of 2021. After 18 months and 18,000 miles, almost all of it towing our Equinox, here are a few of my chassis-related observations:
  • First chassis modification was taking it into a trusted and experienced tire shop where the tires were rebalanced and all wheels aligned (don't believe that it was done right at the factory). That helped tracking and centering on the highway.
  • Second was adding a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. It helped even more with centering the steering wheel, reducing "fidgiting" or wandering when driving and wind influence.
  • Third chassis modification was Sumo Springs to the rear suspension. That reduced sway and wind influence but slightly harshened the ride quality. It was a reasonable trade-off.
  • At this time I don't plan on making any more changes until the shocks go or 40k.

In all those 18,000 miles, the worst rides I've encountered were during high-cross winds across TX, OK, AZ, NM, NV, and UT (white knuckles and gloves). Second worst was the roughest road I've yet driven, Hwy 93 from Kingsman, AZ to Boulder City, NV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hermes Fridge.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	380935  
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalone View Post
I find at 70 mph my Precept is all over the road. If I slow down to 60 or 55 on back highways, it is not a struggle. I have paid big dollars for the SS281 performance steering package, front and rear radius rod and rear trac bar thinking the wandering would stop.....nope. Each trip it takes me about 1/2 hour to get used to driving the MH. One question I have is, where should we install more noise/sound insulation and what material? These gas units are noisy when they kick down climbing anything. Other than that. hopefully I'll get mine back from the shop later this week after fixing the steps for the third time, and clear up the first ever check engine light or we won't be going to Anchor Downs in TN for Thanksgiving. Happy camping.
Did you also install the Safe-T-Steer I notice when I install that, Koni's Shock, Rear Trac Bar, I have notice a big difference, I'm working on Sumo Spring front and rear and right now it's at the dealer getting warranty work done and a front end alignment.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #95

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seven pages later.....

Ford could offer a handling improvement/upgrade package and a "Godzilla" chip that would make 40hp more. Who on this thread would have started with that?

Ford knows all about these issues...they simply don't care and have zero competition. The "Leo Beebe" (Ford vs Ferrari) mentality still runs Ford.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #96

This thread piqued my interest, though I'm not really having any issues. I discovered that Roadmaster offers a rear sway bar. No surprise but I was taken aback at first that theirs installed to the rear of rear axle and they kept the factory Ford that mounted in front of the axle. Instead of tossing a small diameter bar in favor of a bigger one like you would on a car.
Didn't take but just a minute for me to see that two medium sized bars could make for more spring rate and control than one huge Hulk-sized one though. So I learned something. I had no interest in messing with my sway bars until this. But one of those might be on my menu. Roadmaster makes a case that because of the extra rear overhang of coaches just like mine, a rear sway bar upgrade can be more effective than a front one. I need to research that front track bar more first though, I think.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:09 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
This thread piqued my interest, though I'm not really having any issues. I discovered that Roadmaster offers a rear sway bar. No surprise but I was taken aback at first that theirs installed to the rear of rear axle and they kept the factory Ford that mounted in front of the axle. Instead of tossing a small diameter bar in favor of a bigger one like you would on a car.
Didn't take but just a minute for me to see that two medium sized bars could make for more spring rate and control than one huge Hulk-sized one though. So I learned something. I had no interest in messing with my sway bars until this. But one of those might be on my menu. Roadmaster makes a case that because of the extra rear overhang of coaches just like mine, a rear sway bar upgrade can be more effective than a front one. I need to research that front track bar more first though, I think.

So, did you had the Roadmaster sway-bar install if so, do you have any pics?
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:34 AM   #98
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKid
So, did you had the Roadmaster sway-bar install if so, do you have any pics?
GypsyR's profile shows they have 1993 motorhome. Your V8 already has massive front and rear sway bars, much larger than what was provided with the V10.

But the V8 now has a recall on it because the bolts and brackets holding the 2" rear sway bar on have been loosening up, falling out, and leaving one end of the rear sway bar hanging free. Those bolts and brackets should be inspected on yours to see if they are loose. It's happening to a lot of people, usually with less than 2,000 miles on the odometer.

We did add the Roadmaster 1 5/8" supplemental rear sway bar to our V10 and it definitely helped in high crosswinds. But we also had previously added a rear trac bar. The F-53 comes standard from Ford with a front trac bar but not a rear trac bar.

Yes, all of the sway bar manufacturers say to upgrade the rear before the front but with a V8 there should be no need. That, unfortunately, is about the only thing substantive Ford did to improve the suspension on the V8. Many people with the V8 have added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and four Koni FSD shocks and said they made a big difference.

Ray