Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2022, 08:58 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
The F-53 Wrestling match...

Most people will be exhausted after a day of driving one of these. 300 miles a day was my limit. You will make endless small steering corrections as you do your best to stay centered in your lane. Pot holes are brutal.

The engine and transmission are decent. Ford's recall of the rear diff was pathetic. The suspension...sucks. We sold the rig after a few months. The guy who bought it did the same, for the same reasons.

Would I buy a Ford chassis again? Never. I don't want to be negative, just want you to know what you are getting yourself into.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2022, 09:23 PM   #2

Not sure I agree. I've done over 1k miles in a day (bone stock) and could have comfortably gone farther.

The new v8 chassis has done a lot to making it better - but I will say the biggest factors are:

1. The coach that is put on top of it (height/wheelbase/length of tail, etc), kinda out of your control but you should talk with other owners to get their feedback on how well the manufacture set up your specific model/floorplan
2. The size tires (22 are more comfortable than 19's)
3. Have you have loaded it correctly (balanced)
4. Set the tire pressures according to the tire manufactures recommended psi based on an actual scale measurement.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:21 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
"YMMV...."

The coach itself was fine, Newmar makes good stuff. It was maintained to the highest standards, including tire pressure and weight and balance.

A 31' gasser simply is not going to compare to a diesel pusher, IMHO.

If you are happy with your F-53....Enjoy!
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack73 View Post
Not sure I agree. I've done over 1k miles in a day (bone stock) and could have comfortably gone farther.
1000 miles in a day!?

Averaging 50 mph, which is really hard to do considering the inevitable slow downs and breaks, means 20 hours behind the wheel. Wow!!
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
o.k. kiddies, just remember your ABC's

Always Buy Chevy

2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

My 30 footer needed some mods to make it more tolerable (alignment, track bar, shocks, Dynamat). I've gone 700 in a day followed by 700 the day after a couple times (without the track bar). Looking forward to my next long banzai trip with the track bar in place.

If you want it to drive like a DP, you need to pony up for a DP or buy Liquid Springs for the gasser. There is no free lunch, sadly. I think Liquid Springs is the cheapest lunch though....lol.

I wish there was an alternative to the F53 in the new gas Class A market.
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
1000 miles in a day!?

Averaging 50 mph, which is really hard to do considering the inevitable slow downs and breaks, means 20 hours behind the wheel. Wow!!
Yeah it was a marathon. Let's just say I'm younger and stops were for gas. Only used the bathroom when getting gas and food was made by the family while I drove. We are out west where the speed was 70+ so you can really crank up the miles quickly.

No doubt a diesel pusher can have a better ride, but $100k+ better, I'm not sure it's worth that to me.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #8

I compared wrestling with an F53 going down the road vs wrestling with my wallet to get a DP. The F53 won.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #9

I test drove a F53 class A, what a mess. Having heard the class Cs handed worse, I was scared.

The next week I test drove a E450 class A, it rode great and I bought it.

Now looking for a bit more room but can't afford a DP. What's left is a long class C. Time will tell.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, bring me up to speed.
Is the F-53 (Ford) the ONLY chassis / engine available for class "A" gassers, no matter who makes the coach?

Not that I'm ready to move up in year or model, I just want to know what's out there now.

I'm thinking, since I'm so old, that I don't buy green bananas, that I now have my "forever" coach. I don't need all the "wiz bang" electronic stuff, that usually drives new owners nuts. My coach is well sorted out and is plenty roomy for me and the dog, even with the slides in.
We don't hammer down the road, and we often get sidetracked by the many roadside attraction signs. I guess "wandering" is the name for it. Heck, we're on vacation.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
"YMMV...."

The coach itself was fine, Newmar makes good stuff. It was maintained to the highest standards, including tire pressure and weight and balance.

A 31' gasser simply is not going to compare to a diesel pusher, IMHO.

If you are happy with your F-53....Enjoy!
There are many of us that are happy with our F53 chassis Class A's. Just passed 52K miles on our present one, had nearly 50K (was still working when we had that one) with our previous. Unfortunately, you chose a lighter, short wheelbase version for your 1st. As said previous, if you want a DP ride, buy one; or get Liquid Springs on a new F53. There are no other gas Class A players in the game, because no one else wants to play.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #12
NXR

The F-53 Wrestling match...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015
So, bring me up to speed. Others went bankrupt earlier.

Is the F-53 (Ford) the ONLY chassis / engine available for class "A" gassers, no matter who makes the coach?

Not that I'm ready to move up in year or model, I just want to know what's out there now.
Yes. Chevy exited the motorhome chassis business in 2010. Others went bankrupt earlier.

But there are a wide variety of F-53 chassis versions, from 16,000 GVWR to 26,000 GVWR. That's a 5 ton difference. The wheel size also matters. The 22.5" are pretty much universally recognized as riding and handling better than the 19" wheels, which are only available on the lighter chassis variants.

The fixes are also well-known if you think you have handling or ride problems. Jayco has their JRide package that adds some stuff from the factory that other manufacturers do not offer. But those same things are available to do on your own.

Or you cough up close to $30,000 to have LiquidSprings added. That product also is widely recognized as dramatically better than any combination of add-on fixes. But it's also an extra $30,000 which may or may not make you choke.

Ray
Old 11-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
So, bring me up to speed.

Mike in Colorado
The answer is a qualified "NO". Thor uses the Ford E350 and E450 chassis for their Axis and Vegas "Class A" twins. They're 25 to 27 feet long and built on a 188 inch stretched chassis.

I believe that's what Twinboat has, as well as myself.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:47 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So the new buyers get a $150K+ coach, and have to drop another $30K to make it ride right?
I just choked...........

Think I'll keep mine.

Mike in Colorado