There was a mouse in the house....
Rather, in the engine bay :(
I fired up the RV and headed home from the storage yard. When I got up around 35mph it started struggling and the check engine light came on. I pulled into a truck stop and topped off the tank, thinking that maybe I had put too much gas conditioner in last fall and it needed to be diluted. Nope.
I called the wife and she met me in my Jeep. I pulled my ScanGauge out and plugged it in and it was giving me an error code with coil 6. Uh oh. I pulled the dog house off the engine and sure enough, coil 6ís harness was chewed through by a rodent. Thankfully all it did was chew that and some insulation (that I know of). The bitch of the problem is that this is the only coil with two purple wires. The other nine all have a purple wire and then another color, so purple is the common. Iíll be damned if I can see any difference in the two wires and the wife couldnít see any either.
I sent her home and said Iíd figure it out. I didnít have a multimeter to do any continuity checks and the truck stop didnít sell one. I did some research and after an hour or so I learned that coils wonít be damaged if the two wires are swapped. It wonít work as efficiently as it should, but it wonít destroy anything. So, I twist tied some new wire onto the engine side and used some butt connectors to attach the harness. I plugged it in, started it and no codes.
I went to Napa and got a new harness and some butt connectors with the solder in the center. Iím going to figure out the correct polarity tomorrow and then attach the new connector. Then I need to figure out how to make it rodent proof.
2017 Winnebago Vista 31BE
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Commando Green), 2.5Ē TF lift, Falcon shocks, Warn winch, lots of smiles