Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Thud and clunk

Just returned from a 4000 mile trip with our 2015 Jayco Precept 35un on a 22,000 F53 chassis. Have developed a very loud clunk under the left front when hitting certain bumps. Not constant. Looked under rig and don't see anything obvious. Shocks seem tight, no other issues that standout. Did notice a small amount of grease on left front hub. Had both bearing replaced around 6,000 miles ago after the right front failed at 3,000 miles. Local Ford dealers won't look at a F-53. Figures. Any thoughts?
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

Do not overlook the shock absorbers. I had a loose one that clunked until I retorqued the loose bolt, (265 foot lbs).
Petersr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #3

It could be your step moving and bouncing. I've found the noises you hear while driving don't always come from where you think they are as the sounds seem travel in the MH. Some noises I thought were coming from the engine compartment were actually from a loose headlight that just needed tightening.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
Just returned from a 4000 mile trip with our 2015 Jayco Precept 35un on a 22,000 F53 chassis. Have developed a very loud clunk under the left front when hitting certain bumps. Not constant. Looked under rig and don't see anything obvious. Shocks seem tight, no other issues that standout. Did notice a small amount of grease on left front hub. Had both bearing replaced around 6,000 miles ago after the right front failed at 3,000 miles. Local Ford dealers won't look at a F-53. Figures. Any thoughts?
My thunk in the same conditions was simply a loose sway bar bolt. Must be torqued to 66 ft lbs with loctite on the threads (blue) problem solved. Check bushings on sway bar also.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacobsnc,

Sometimes a noise results when something is unloaded or when a load is placed on it. That means that just looking for something loose may not help because it may only become loose when pressure is taken off or when it is placed on it. Take a pry bar with you when looking. See if you can move things around back & forth or up and down. Most times these noises can be very difficult to find.

I'm the only driver of our rig. Therefore I can't search like I'd like to search which is when the unit is moving down the road and making all the noises. If I could I'd take my stethoscope with me as I searched. Yes they actually make one for technicians. I have a cheap nurses stethoscope that my DW got and it works great.

Most of us old timers used a screwdriver and placed the tip where we thought the noise was then put the head of the SD in our ear. It works. That would help to locate the source better than not using one. You can hear the change in intensity as you get closer.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Smile

Well, took the rig to a independent truck shop to check front end. They didn't seem to happy to look at the Ford. They supposidly checked everything and greased the unit. Said everything was ok. Drove home and it's still clunking. That did it, back under rig with the hints you all have given. Found a top shock bolt loose. Tightened to 250 as high as my wrench would go plus a bit more. Test drove, no clunk. Bottom line, Ford dealers don't want anything to do with the F-53, and neither do independents. Thanks to all for the tips.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Bottom line, Ford dealers don't want anything to do with the F-53, and neither do independents. Thanks to all for the tips.
There are Ford truck dealers that do work on F53 and even like RV's--Gator Ford in Tampa is one that does.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Good to know about Gator Ford in Tampa. Not that far from us in the winter months.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacobsnc,

Great news that someone finally found your clunk even if it was you. It never ceases to amaze me how incompetent these so called technicians are these days.

Back in the 70 we were all called, "Mechanics". In the early 80 as we all had to get trained on the new computer stuff they decided to call us, "Technicians." Which does sound a bit better if you are in to kind of stuff. Yes I was just a classroom teacher but we still had to get all the training as things changed and only stopped after i retired 30 years later.

When repair persons these days still resort to no diagnosis and just changing parts then they become mechanics in my book. I won't call them a Technician.

At least nobody told you, "Well that's a normal CLUNK for these motor homes. You'll just have to live with it."
Old 10-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Take a look at this someday:http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3n5nv...ays.html.....I did this upgrade when I had a F53 Tom
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
loosey goosey

Quote:
Well, took the rig to a independent truck shop to check front end. They didn't seem to happy to look at the Ford. They supposidly checked everything and greased the unit. Said everything was ok. Drove home and it's still clunking. That did it, back under rig with the hints you all have given. Found a top shock bolt loose. Tightened to 250 as high as my wrench would go plus a bit more. Test drove, no clunk. Bottom line, Ford dealers don't want anything to do with the F-53, and neither do independents. Thanks to all for the tips.
front shock upper bolts loosen up rattles chuckle over bumps . cant grab shock and feel looseness because gas filled and takes up the play . The good thing is upper shock bolts can be accessed thru front wheel opening with long extension. so now we have sway bar links and brackets , shock bolts (never seen the bottoms loose always uppers) and also i have had my leveling jack cross bracket loose