Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #1

Tie Rods

Hello
I have 2 questions

1) can anyone explain to me how to use the search function. I tried to search on "tie rods " and a bunch of stuff came up, none of which had anything to do with tie rods. I must be doing something wrong.

2) I am getting a shimmy when I brake my 2001 E450 RV.
Its new to me and I want to get it up to snuff as much as possible.
I did put on a new Hellwig front swaybar.

The RV drives pretty good but I haven't taken it on any long trip yet and I'd like to fix minor things before I leave. I'm thinking since it has 80,000 miles on it new tie rods and an alignment might be a good investment.
So
Any suggestions on the parts I'd need? Should I just get new tie rod ends, or, should I get the whole assembly? It looks to me I could install them and then get it aligned.

Any advice?
Thanks
Kip
2001 E450 Itasca 27P sundancer
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 06:39 PM   #2

Shimmy when braking is bad rotors.

I replaced my 1999 E450 rotors and no more shimmy.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Find a truck shop and have the front steering and suspension checked before just replacing parts. Every part involved (tie rods, shocks, king pins, leaf spring bushings etc) can be checked to determine if they are worn sufficiently to cause you some issues.

Twinboat is spot on concerning the vibration when breaking. Yes with 80,000 miles you might need new rotors but it is a truck chassis and the rotors can be machined to correct the shimmy. I understand some don't agree with me but in my 35 years as an automotive instructor we machined hundreds if not thousands of rotors with good results.

Todays vehicles are reducing weight for fuel economy. The rotors are made lighter so many can't be machined. But a truck chassis is different.