Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Question Tiffin V8 Chassis vs V10 Chassis

Looking at 2021 Tiffin Open Road. Some are on V8 chassis and some are on V10 chassis - about $5k difference in base price. Can someone explain the difference to me?
dcarline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

The V10 chassis is an older chassis then the V8.

The V8 is a brand new, larger engine. A bit more power. If your at max gross loads, it may come in handy climbing mountains.
The chassis also claims better handling with upgraded anti sway bars.

V10 has been a great engine, and tied to the 6 speed automatic transmission. Handling can be improved with the CHF or upgrading the anti sway bars.

CHF is a simple adjustment to the stock sway bars. Look it up on here.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarline View Post
Looking at 2021 Tiffin Open Road. Some are on V8 chassis and some are on V10 chassis - about $5k difference in base price. Can someone explain the difference to me?
Is the V8 cheaper or more expensive?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The V8 chassis appears to finally have a rear track bar included.

After 20+ years Ford figured out it was needed..
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #5

One other change is that with the V8, you get a Selectshift transmission control. So you can directly change gears in the transmission. This seems like it would be way better than what the V10 people get, where you have to mash the brake quickly to communicate to the transmission to downshift and hold a gear. It would be way better to just put the transmission in manual mode and control gear with your thumb in climbs/descents.

It would be an easy choice for me. I'd take the power and the shift control for $5k, and the sway bar would be gravy.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No rear track bar, still . Larger front sway bar, Front springs bump stop sure does "appear" larger and similar to Sumo's from the pictures I've seen ( "Appears" since I don't have any knowledge of the composition of them ) V8 engine has lower and wider torque band and is quieter overall, same transmission, upgraded Girard awning on the coaches built on the new chassis.
Better overall but room for improvement.
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN 2021 OPEN ROAD 34 PA LIQUID SPRINGS Ft & Rear Tireminder A1A / SAFE T PLUS, 2002 Jeep Wrangler/-2013 Bounder Classic 34M SOLD, 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #7

Newest Dilemna

Thanks for all the responses. I have 3 units to choose from.

24K chassis with Sumo suspension and V10
26K chassis with Liquid spring suspension and V10
24K chassis with new ECSO V8

Thoughts? I have no idea which one to choose
dcarline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:

Very tough choice! I've never been in a liquid-spring equipped coach, but I bet that is SWEEEEEET. For me, the choice would likely be between the 2nd two. The V8 setup should do a little bit to eliminate the need for the Sumos, and if you still wanted them, they shouldn't be difficult to add after the fact.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the 26K chassis w/V-10, & Liquid Spring suspension! You WILL NOT regret it!!

The 26K chassis has 255/80R 22.5" wheels & tires! Better ride, more load capability!

Liquid-Spring suspension is excellent! Will improve the ride, drive, & handling of the coach!
I drove a Tiffin at the Tampa RV show last year with it, & was thoroughly impressed! To the point that I'm looking at having it installed on my Newmar Canyon Star w/26K chassis!

Add a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer and Koni front shocks and you will have about as nice a riding & handling gas coach, as there is in the marketplace!

I added an Ultra-Trac rear trac bar (not needed with Liquid Springs), 4 Koni shocks, Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, & Sumo front springs to mine, when it was new! Am very pleased with it, but think the Liquid Springs would make it handle even better. Especially the lean & sway!

Good Luck, whatever you decide to do! Main thing; ENJOY your new coach!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Very tough choice! I've never been in a liquid-spring equipped coach, but I bet that is SWEEEEEET. For me, the choice would likely be between the 2nd two. The V8 setup should do a little bit to eliminate the need for the Sumos, and if you still wanted them, they shouldn't be difficult to add after the fact.
I’ve driven several 2021 34PA coaches - the v10 chassis with leaf spring suspension (don’t remember if it had the Sumo Spring option), the v10 chassis with factory rear Liquid Spring suspension, and the new V8 chassis with leaf spring suspension (neither Sumo or LS are factory options on the V8 chassis for 2021).

The base v10 chassis was intolerable. It made me reconsider spending diesel pusher money. My spouse got carsick from all the pitching and rolling, and it was a handful to keep in its lane on a smooth highway on a day with no wind. The ride quality was very harsh. Frankly I would never buy it.

The v10 with Liquid Spring was transformative. It eliminates 75% (subjectively) of the ride harshness and the active suspension fully controls the side-to-side rolling. Frankly it was better than a nice DP in controlling that roll - I drove a Newmar NewAire back to back with the Open Road. It was relatively relaxed and tracked well on the highway. I would buy it, although I don’t love the v10 engine.

I have a V8 chassis 34PA. It has the stock suspension, for now. It it much improved over the v10. Ride quality is good, if not Liquid Spring good. It does not pitch or roll excessively. It tracks pretty well on the highway, but perhaps not as well as I would like. Semi trucks passing on a 2 lane highway are barely felt, they don’t move you around the lane at all.. I could live with this, perhaps with a careful alignment and a steering stabilizer.

I much prefer the V8 engine over the v10. It has more power at lower RPM so it spends more time down where you cannot hear or feel it working. It resists downshifting a bit more than the v10. When working hard, I find the sound less grating than the v10. It still has tow/haul mode and you can manually select and hold any specific gear for compression braking. Two thumbs up on the new engine.

I would only consider the Liquid Spring or V8 coaches in your list. Price would be a consideration between the two as well. The v10 with LS might be preferred if price is close to the V8. If the budget has room you can have LS added to the V8 chassis after the fact, though it does cost $$$$$.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #11
Community Moderator

I would pick the liquid springs chassis
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

You'll be driving on the road maybe 1% of the time and the rest of the time enjoying your RV...I'd suggest getting the RV with the best layout and if you are married I'd really suggest having your wife pick it out.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not get a 24K chassis. If you load your chassis at all, you'll find that you'll quickly approach the GAWR for the rear. You'll want to, within reason, take everything you want for your trips, so having that additional 2K of capability in the rear will be important to you. So buy the floor plan that floats your boat, just not one on a 24K chassis.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:

26k (should have greater OCCC) and liquid spring suspension would get my vote. That V10 has been around a long while and is a good engine. If it’s too loud, spend a little effort in sound insulating the dog house.

It’s not going to be a high horsepower diesel pusher with pneumatic suspension no matter what, but a nice ride and reliable engine and decent usable carrying capacity rank high on my list from a mechanical perspective.

And I second the approach of letting DW pick the layout. For reasons no married guy needs to have explained.

Tags
chassis, tiffin, v10