Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Lets see we're posting on the Ford MH section, saying that $160 per shock is expensive compared to one half it's cost and you're making a comparison to $2-3000, which aren't even MH shocks?????????
I guess that I could have made a more relevant point. Paying $160 for shocks that are of good quality vs paying $80 for average units is not expensive in my book.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I guess that I could have made a more relevant point. Paying $160 for shocks that are of good quality vs paying $80 for average units is not expensive in my book.
I agree. With shocks as with anything else, generally you get what you pay for. The ride with Koni's was worth the investment for me, plus they have a lifetime warranty.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I agree, I just put KONIs on and they are a big improvement over the orig Bilsteins.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep and to think back in 1999 we changed the shocks to Bilstein and I thought I died and gone to Heaven compared to the stock shocks. I guess it's all relative to something.

I wish we could set around some camp fire and talk about this stuff. There's so much talent and so many varied and different experiences we could spent a week of Sundays and still have stuff to jaw about.

Ain't life GRAND So much to learn, so many tools and so little time

Enjoy the ride!!

TeJay
Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #19

I took the konis off and put bilstiens... way better shock... and yes I tried all three

stock bilstien oem... konis..(took off) and after market bilstien with correct valving....they are the best...

but I didn't drink the Kool-Aid.... others will argue that the konis are better because that's what they already bought....

but they have never tried the after market bilstiens..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll revert to what I've said several times before. Every coach is different. There are just to many variables involved to say absolutely that one is the best. Now if you've tried all three on your coach then yes you can say one is the best.

I installed the Koni's and they are better than the factory Bilsteins. I do think that Bilstein makes a factory shock for the Ford RV's and their aftermarket shocks are valved different. We already had Bilsteins and I didn't want to chance the $$$ for more Bilsteins.

LUVRVLUVRV, How do you know that the AM Bilsteins are differently valved from the factory Bilsteins or was that just an educated guess????

TeJay
Old 07-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I'll revert to what I've said several times before. Every coach is different. There are just to many variables involved to say absolutely that one is the best. Now if you've tried all three on your coach then yes you can say one is the best.

I installed the Koni's and they are better than the factory Bilsteins. I do think that Bilstein makes a factory shock for the Ford RV's and their aftermarket shocks are valved different. We already had Bilsteins and I didn't want to chance the $$$ for more Bilsteins.

LUVRVLUVRV, How do you know that the AM Bilsteins are differently valved from the factory Bilsteins or was that just an educated guess????

TeJay
I agree. We purchased our coach new and it came from the factory with Bilsteins. The Konis ride is much smoother and more controlled than the OEM Bilsteins. Plus, I've never been a fan of gas charged shocks for a comfortable ride. Having compressed gas in the shock which exerts a positive force on the axle is counter productive. The shock should be neutral, neither pushing nor pulling on the suspension it's controlling. The shock valving and fluid viscosity should control the suspension movement.
Now, for performance / racing applications a gas charged shock may be the way to go. But for me, on the comfort level, non-gas charged is my road.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

TeJay
I called bilstien.... I said why the heck would I remove brand new Bilstiens that don't work and put another set on... the tech told me the ford bilstiens are valved to fords engineers spec.....that's why they don't work...
the after market bilstiens are custom valved to the coach...

everyone knows that gas charged shocks are the best,,, but too stiff of valving can make them very harsh....

where they really shine over the others is in washboard roads...

the konis pack after a few bumps and are worse than the factor shocks...

if any one here has traveled cane beds road by Colorado city , you know what I'm say'n
Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I called bilstien.... I said why the heck would I remove brand new Bilstiens that don't work and put another set on... the tech told me the ford bilstiens are valved to fords engineers spec.....that's why they don't work...
the after market bilstiens are custom valved to the coach...

everyone knows that gas charged shocks are the best,,, but too stiff of valving can make them very harsh....

where they really shine over the others is in washboard roads...

the konis pack after a few bumps and are worse than the factor shocks...

if any one here has traveled cane beds road by Colorado city , you know what I'm say'n
Are these the model numbers for the aftermarket custom valved ones you purchased?

24-234528
24-234511

2017 Coachmen Cross Country 407FW
rcarpe06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
Well, the Koni shocks will run me about $180 per shock, anyone got a discount code or maybe where I can find them on sale
you can get a better shock from bilstien for cheeper..

again I type these same words that fall on death ears...

the bilstiens from ford are valved too stiff per ford... the bilstiens after market are superior to both stock bilstiens and konis
Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarpe06 View Post
Are these the model numbers for the aftermarket custom valved ones you purchased?

24-234528
24-234511
yes...motorhome ran down the road like a mouse in slippers
Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
First off shock absorbers have nothing to do with absorbing the feeling of every bump you hit. That is not their job and if anything they are what transmits the bump to the frame. The stiffer the shock the more you are going to feel the road. The shock also has nothing to do with it supporting vehicle weight or leaning to one side.
They only work against the springs movement.

As a result, shock absorbers only reduces:
  • Bounce
  • Roll or sway
  • Brake dive
  • Acceleration squat
I disagree... it has everything to do with...I took mine off and ran with out them... all the harsh jolts went away....
the problem is the stock shock is valved too stiff...

If you put the right shocks and add the sumo's it'll ride better than a freightliner chassis... and way way better on a washboard bumpy road

again the bilstien after market shocks turn out to way superior to both koni and the stock shocks

I tried the konis took them off and went with the bilstein... the guy that bought the konis from drank so much of the Kool-Aid he couldn't get his money out fast enough
Old 08-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #27

Quote:
yes...motorhome ran down the road like a mouse in slippers
Does anyone know of the Bilstein aftermarket shock numbers for the F53 '97 model year? These part numbers appear to fit the 99 and newer chassis. Thanks.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #28

Quote:
I disagree... it has everything to do with...I took mine off and ran with out them... all the harsh jolts went away....
the problem is the stock shock is valved too stiff...

If you put the right shocks and add the sumo's it'll ride better than a freightliner chassis... and way way better on a washboard bumpy road

again the bilstien after market shocks turn out to way superior to both koni and the stock shocks

I tried the konis took them off and went with the bilstein... the guy that bought the konis from drank so much of the Kool-Aid he couldn't get his money out fast enough

Interesting, you posted this yesterday morning, Aug. 5.

HOWEVER TODAY, Aug. 6, on the Sumo Springs thread you posted pictures of your installation of the Sumo Springs.
The OEM BILSTEINS are still on your coach in the pictures.
How can that be if you have removed them and installed Konis? Which you claim to have already sold to "someone who drank the Koo-Aid?
Seems to me, if you sold the Konis to the Kool-Aid drinker, and had the after market Bilsteins installed to uphold your claim above, those are what should be in the picture TODAY. Right?
Additionally, someone asked if you still have the OEM BILSTEINS on the Sumo Springs thread.
Your reply in POST #50, on TODAY's DATE AUG, 6, was "yes, the new ones haven't shown up". How can you have experience with a product you don't have yet?

Accurate information is what helps others, not speculation on something you don't have experience with.

Tags
shocks