Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow Haul

Please explain what happens with the transmission when in or out of T/H mode. I know what it's for. Does it lock you out of overdrive. Thanks
Jfhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also, I have a 2012 F 53 class a 35f Winnie vista. Towing a 3000 LB Ford Focus. Under generally flat conditions with a few moderate hills thrown in, do I need T/W.
thanks again
Jfhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfhaas View Post
Also, I have a 2012 F 53 class a 35f Winnie vista. Towing a 3000 LB Ford Focus. Under generally flat conditions with a few moderate hills thrown in, do I need T/W.
thanks again
I pull a 4500 pound Jeep Wrangler (4 dr) with a 2011 22,000 GVRW ford chassis. Our coach is nearly 38 feet. I've pulled the Jeep over the Appalachian Mountains twice without an issue. I do use the Tow/Haul mode when towing and sometimes when not towing if slowing from highway speed. It will downshift for you as you slow to aid in scrubbing speed off. I particularly like it when descending grades as with a touch of the brake pedal it downshifts and helps maintain a reasonable speed downhill. Saves the disk pads and also leaves the brakes cool for when I do need them.

BTY I was surprised I could pull that Jeep up the mountain grades and maintain a speed of 60 -65 mph. Of course gas mileage went down the tube but I was impressed by the Ford chassis with the Triton V10.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

I have the torque shift (5R200) transmission in a 2010 Ford truck. From my experience when in the tow/haul mode the transmission:
1. Raises the shift points to a higher RPM.
2. Has 5 speeds rather than the 4 speeds of the 4R100.
3, Circulates a higher volume of oil through the system to help prevent over heating.
4. Shifts down sooner when descending a hill to allow the engine to do some of the braking.
5. Will shift into over drive, but at a slghtly higher speed.

The only downside is that it gets the same mileage as the older 4R100 when in the tow haul mode. When not in the tow/haul mode the newer truck gets about 3 more mpg than the old one.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

How much braking will the engine really do though, what keeps it from over revving when the speeds start to climb.
Neil
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
How much braking will the engine really do though, what keeps it from over revving when the speeds start to climb.
Neil
Downshift and engine hold back, are very necessary to " AID " braking in long down hill situations. You need to establish a control speed for any long downhill set your transmission gear and a moderate RPM to help keep your brakes from over heating. If you choose ; lets say ; 45mph @ 3000RPM in third gear, for you down hill speed , you should be watching your speed and tach, and if your speed builds to 50 mph or the RPM to 3700/4000 then apply your brakes till you slow your rig to 40 MPH then allow the engine to hold back the RV until appling the brakes becomes necessay again. On a long downhill, the more time you spend off the brakes the cooler and more capable they will be of stopping you completely should the need occour.
Most modern transmissions with electronic controls will upshift if engine overspeed is reached.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

Would you rather pay for a new/rebuilt trans or replace the brake pads.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the tow/haul when towing the Jeep and also if descending a steep hill. As mentioned, the shift points are different and in tow/haul you will get the engine braking. It will shift into OD.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Would you rather pay for a new/rebuilt trans or replace the brake pads.
Any transmission that fails because of holding a gear for downhill speed hold back;IF any ever have ; wasn't worth having under your floor boards anyway.
Probably an internet rumor started by a brake parts company.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

From the infrequently read owners' manual:

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position; this engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #11

Hey, hey, hey.... Don't shoot the messenger. That is what I've alway been been told or read. For long, distances, I always use the transmission to slow down, or put it in OD.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Hey, hey, hey.... Don't shoot the messenger. That is what I've alway been been told or read. For long, distances, I always use the transmission to slow down, or put it in OD.
LOL I thought your brakes comment was odd coming from a racer. You are a racer right?
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

LOL... Years ago. I don't rebuild my MH engine quite as ofter as I would a race motor.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #14

Hey Dunner, that was a trick question, right.

I understand what all is involved by the term down shifting the trans for hills, but what I was wondering, is there something different about the new V10 engine or that 5R200 trans, like a type of braking system built in to them.
In all my years driving different things, including 20 years over the road, I've not seen a gas engine that would hold a 20,000 lb truck back from over speeding down a hill. There will be some resistance at the start, but as the rpms of the engine go up, then when you brake your slowing the engine as well as the coach.

Those signs out on the highway, "Truckers use lower gears" are for nothing more than those trucks that have a Jake brake on their engines that will slow the truck down to some extent.
Neil