Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow/Haul mode or not

Recently bought a Fleetwood Jamboree 2012 31M on the Ford chassis Triton V10. It has the tow/haul mode and am wondering since we are hauling around 14k + pounds, if we should be using the tow mode.

Thanks,

Dutchman
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I presume you are talking about the transmission ...tow/haul mode probably locks it out of overdrive so the tranny isn't constantly "seeking" back and forth between high and overdrive (can cause overheating). So, unless the transmission is doing a lot of shifting back and forth in and out of overdrive when cruising at highway speed, I wouldn't worry about it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If your overall weight is 14k lbs, you don't need to use tow/haul except maybe when you are decending a big hill.

So, if you are towing a normal car, then you don't need to use tow/haul but it does do well providing braking during downhills.

Tow/changes the shift points in the transmission but it doesn't necessarily lock you out of overdrive.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

One thing I like about the tow/haul mode is that the transmission downshifts as you brake. At cruise I only notice that it holds a gear longer & upshifts at a slower pace.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

The tow haul on the ford V10 with the 5 speed auto has nothing to do with the overdrive. I have this in 3 pickups and now in a Newmar motor home. In the trucks I use it any time I tow much of anything, or am in hills as it will downshift when you brake on grades to hold you back and save brakes. My 2013 Newmar weighs about 18000 pounds empty so I use the tow haul about all the time as it really Helps in stop and go traffic with it's downshifting braking force. Even on flat ground. In the hills or mountains it is a must use in a superduty pickup or a motorhome!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Community Administrator

I was getting poor mileage using the tow haul all the time. I checked with Ford and they confirmed a 1-1 1/2 mile per gallon loss using tow haul. I now only use it in city traffic or steep inclines and declines.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

Use all the time except on flat freeway driving.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Are you towing 14k in addition to your rv ?
let's assume your rig weighs 14k and you're not towing 14 additional k...

As stated early on....
only use it if and when your tranny is 'hunting' for gears...
i.e. shifting up and down every few seconds causing the torque convertor to lock and unlock repeatedly...
or you might want to use it when you are towing at the limits of your gcwr and going up hill...

otherwise leave it in drive and drive - that's why they call it 'drive'

I will punch the button to help slow down with engine braking, but 99/100 I don't use it... why waste the fuel if you don't need to ?

for more opinions (which all ours are )
try here -- http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #9

It only changes the shift schedule. A little higher RPM before shifting into the next gear.

I always use it when towing my car but I live in the high desert and I can't find a road without a hill or mountain.

If I'm not towing and its not needed for slowing down (it does help in traffic) then I can't see the point of using. I'll sometimes turn it on just to help slow down and then turn it off again.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for the input. My assumption was correct in that I don't need to use it all the time. It runs and shifts fine with no labor. I was just thinking that the chassis was designed to probably haul a lot less on normal conditions but with 14k being hauled about on the chassis all the time, might have warranted using the tow/haul mode. I certainly will consider it when going up and down steeper grades.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
I use the Tow Haul mode whenever I am descending steep grades that require the constant application of brakes. In the Tow Haul mode, the vehicle uses engine braking to slow it down, reducing the amount of braking needed, saving the brakes and helping to eliminate excess brake heating. Otherwise, I do not use it, even though we tow a Honda CRV on all of our trips. It's a great feature for use in the mountains.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Tow Haul is not overdrive lock out just different shift patterns including downshift
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #13

The only time I use the tow/haul mode is when I am coming down a steep hill or mountain. I leave it off even when I am towing on flat land or mountains. I let the transmission select the correct gear unless it is hunting.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote