Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #1

Tow/Haul Mode or Not? F53

I've read a few posts, but I think I need a start-to-finish explanation of when and why it would be good for me to use tow/haul mode and what it does. Please see my signature for equipment, and I'm not towing anything.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions, and I'm anxious to hear them all!

Thanks,
MathComp
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #2

Most seem to like it. Some even leave it on all the time. Personally I seldom use it. There is one long mountain downgrade in AZ that I use it on because if I relied on brakes alone I would overheat them. But I don't use it more because I don't like how aggressively it downshifts. This makes things louder than they need be and hard on mpg.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
When we purchased our vehicle with tow/haul the dealer said that it was more of a performance mode. It holds the transmission a bit longer before shifting up and held it a bit longer before shifting down. It also seems to make the shifts feel harder.

I tended to use it when starting out as the engine revved slightly higher before the transmission shifted. Then I turned it off.

Climbing hills - I would turn it on after the truck was in the gear I wanted to climb in. The transmission maintained the gear without shifting up and down.

Going down hill - had it on and managed the down shifting with the use of the foot feed.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #4

I generally use it, but I tow my Cherokee all the time. Last long trip in May, I did one day with it and one day without it. Different conditions, but I seemed to get slightly better mileage with it on. I would want better testing before I confirm that long-term.
FinsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

I use mine when decelerating only (or going down steep inclines in the mountains), never while accelerating or cruising.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

With the MH, you are always hauling a load so, not inappropriate to leave it on all the time. Really comes down to personal preference on the shift points. I generally leave it on as I like the additional braking assistance that the downshifting provides.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #7

Use to save on brakes pads.
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow haul will override what you've got going with the 5-Star tune - so keep that in mind. Personally I prefer the way 5-Star works rather than tow haul. If I'm doing a LOT of stop and go traffic driving then I may turn on TH just so that I don't have to keep working the brakes. And if I were to be in the hills I'd definitely turn it on, especially on the downhill side.

As pointed out, you are ALWAYS carrying a load in a Class A RV, even if empty. Just because you're not loaded to the gills carrying stuff or pulling a car doesn't mean that the truck that lives underneath your RV isn't working hard to make that thing move down the road.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Tow haul will override what you've got going with the 5-Star tune - so keep that in mind.
Huh? What do you base that on? Reference?
Old 06-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Huh? What do you base that on? Reference?
Perhaps I said it wrong.
If it's in tow haul mode then it's going to ignore the shift change points that the 5-Star put in, the same way it would ignore the 'normal' shift points before the 5-Star changes were installed. Take it out of tow haul and the 5-Star shift points will be active again.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I use it going up and coming down large hills ,called 5 star they told me use the 5 star with the tow mode on hills
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

As soon as I start the engine I press the tow/haul button, whether or not I’m towing the car. I just like the way it downshifts.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
Community Administrator

I had two F53’s and used the tow haul when needed. Early on I had used it all day on a very long day ( 600 miles to get home for a family emergency). I experienced my worst mileage ever ( about 5 1/2 MPG). I called Ford and they confirmed that the TH will decrease mileage by about 1 MPG or more. YMMV.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

I usually run with it on for the engine braking, nice in traffic and then I forget about it out on the interstate.

I have tracked all my fuel usage and have noticed no difference at all on or off.

It changes shift schedule but once up to speed on the interstate its in 6th gear either way unless you hit hills or mountains.

Tags
f53, tow