Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Trac Bars on Both Ends

My 2006 F53 chassis has a factory installed front trac bar. I have been told that this is enough to keep the chassis in line and a rear bar is not needed. Would you agree with this or do you think that an additional rear bar would be worthwhile? Has anyone out there added a rear bar to a 2006 or later F53 chassis? How did it work out?
rfregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #2

I added the Henderson ss track bar to the rear. It helped quite a bit when trucks go by. Also the cheap handling fix was a big help.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good question. As on the older F53 such as my 2001 conventional wisdom is that the rear trac bar is the most beneficial. I have added rear but not the front. The rear made a substantial improvement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
I added the Henderson ss track bar to the rear. It helped quite a bit when trucks go by. Also the cheap handling fix was a big help.
+1
The addition of the rear track bar was done right after I did the CHF and now the coach drives like a dream
Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfregg View Post
My 2006 F53 chassis has a factory installed front trac bar. I have been told that this is enough to keep the chassis in line and a rear bar is not needed. Would you agree with this or do you think that an additional rear bar would be worthwhile? Has anyone out there added a rear bar to a 2006 or later F53 chassis? How did it work out?
The rear trac bar did wonders on our rig for the tail wagging the dog problem. The CHF also did wonders. Due to the junk Bilstein shocks that Ford puts on the F53 ours road like a lumber wagon. 4 new Koni shocks did wonders for ride and handling also. These three mods will make a whole different animal out of your rig and are worth every penny.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put a front only on my Workhorse and it made a BIG improvement.

HOWEVER, current "Wisdom" is that the rear bar would make a greater one.

I do not believe it will hurt to put one on the rear.. It should help. I plan on doing it once funds magically appear.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

I put a Blu Ox trac bar on my rear 2006. FYI, I had to obtain some larger bolts and extra washers I believe because it wasn't a perfect fit. But, it did make a major difference. I also did the cheap sway bar fix but I didn't see much difference from that. Still running stock Bilsteins.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 AM   #8

Henderson rear track bar was the single best mod to our 32 ft Allegro. Made a huge difference in just about all situations. Have also done a steer-safe and the CHF. It drives like a different coach now.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabirdsall View Post
Henderson rear track bar was the single best mod to our 32 ft Allegro. Made a huge difference in just about all situations. Have also done a steer-safe and the CHF. It drives like a different coach now.
I like the looks of the Henderson unit. Does your coach have a factory stock trac bar on the front? If it does, and you still noticed a big improvement with the rear bar, that is the answer I am looking for. I am sure that a bar at either end will make a big difference if there is none there but I am just wondering if the extra cost is worth it to put them on both ends.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #10

Yes, our coach has the Ford factory OEM bar on the front. Yes, I noticed a huge improvement in all driving conditions...cross winds, trucks, tunnels, around cuyrves and corners, into and out of driveways, towing or not...

I added the Steer-Safe and did the CHF together, and that made a big improvement, but the track bar was even more noticeable, and really rounded out the handling mods. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. Even after a 7 hour drive from Monterey to Palmdale (CA) I was not fatigued and could have driven another 4 or 5 hours.
gabirdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabirdsall View Post
Yes, our coach has the Ford factory OEM bar on the front. Yes, I noticed a huge improvement in all driving conditions...cross winds, trucks, tunnels, around cuyrves and corners, into and out of driveways, towing or not...

I added the Steer-Safe and did the CHF together, and that made a big improvement, but the track bar was even more noticeable, and really rounded out the handling mods. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. Even after a 7 hour drive from Monterey to Palmdale (CA) I was not fatigued and could have driven another 4 or 5 hours.
I think I am sold on the deal. It just makes sense. Did you install the Henderson unit or one of the others?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #12

I went with the Henderson unit. Looked like the best quality, best thought out solution. I am very happy with it.
gabirdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used the blue ox unit. Whichever you go with, make sure its set up when MH is on the ground, level and preferably loaded with traveling weight.
I think you will like the results.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the process of finishing the build of my rear track-bar. If you're are interested Oemy's web page has lot of info, pics, and drawings to do this MOD. I found a good source for the TOP LINK and I'll probably have about $30-$35 total for this MOD. If you want/need more info just PM me.

TeJay

Oemy's Web Site - DIY Trac Bar