Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
[IMG]C:/rexaire/[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
AJ, you might be on to something here. I also noticed the locking tab on the cable @ the bracket was not really locking the cable in place. There was some movement. Your picture did not work for some reason. But, if I understand you correctly you clamped on both sides of the cable bracket, locking the cable into position ???? Thanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160226_154919 (1).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	132899

I recently had the MH into a local Ford Dealer for transmission work. The service manager saw my mod and asked "Who did that?" I explained that the cable was obsolete by Ford so I did the mod myself. All he said was "Oh". He didn't offer any suggestions. At least he didn't tell me that there was now a cable available from Ford. I'm happy with what I did and it's still good after over 3000 miles.
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks AJ! Can't argue with success. I'll save your mod. pic for future reference. Thanks again.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I've resurrected this older post of my because I thought I would share my fix. For those who are unaware, finding a tranny shift cable for a mid 90's F53 is next to impossible. Of course, Ford discontinued these so availability through Ford is non-existent, leaving junk yards or aftermarket. Many of us looking for this cable have seen the offering on eBay where a 3rd party vendor is advertising a "direct replacement" with a caveat that a minor modification was required. I've email this seller countless times and could not get an answer as to what exactly the modification was.
My moho has been out of commission for 2 months while I've tried to figure out what to do. In the end, I bought the eBay cable and have successfully installed it.
Here is the minor modification needed;
[/URL][/IMG]
I know, tough to see, but simply, left side of dash, where OEM cable was originally anchored required me to fabricate a standoff bracket, 1" away from the existing attachment point. I used 1" wide aluminum flat bar and simply bent it into an"S" shape. I attached it to the existing bracket via a conveniently unused hole in the bracket base using 1/4" x 1/2" stainless hex bolt. At the top of the "S" I drilled a 1/2" hole which allowed the new cable to slip through it. Using lock washers behind each locking nut, this set the needed distance between the shifter levers ball stud to cables eyelet for easy attachment.
At the Tranny Range Sensor lever, no real modification was needed, other than using 2 large diameter fender washers inside the 2 mounting nuts.
[/URL][/IMG]
Old 10-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I should have added above; this cable was made by Cablecraft Motion Control with
p/n 314 VTT 3-108".
This p/n is specific to the 1997 model year, as other model years used different length cables.