Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tranny shift cable

Hi guys,
I've been working a problem with shifting into park, it had become 50/50 chance of success.
I began looking at the trans. range sensor and found a huge crack in it. So it was replaced, but without resolving the issue. I then pulled the dash apart and removed the trans shifter tube, found the 2 plastic bushings near disintegrated. Replaced those, cleaned an re-greased everything and re-installed.
This repair firmed up the loose shifter but still find hitting park troublesome.
So, today went out for a ride (100*) to fill up the tank and could not find park to save my life. The only thing left is the tranny cable and while it seems to move just fine, I'm wondering if engine heat is getting to it. When I put my headers on 5 years ago I wrapped the tranny cable with heat proofing tape and thought that would do it, but maybe not.
In preparing/researching for an eventual cable change I find (of course) that Ford discontinued making them.
I'm open for any and all discussion on things to do, check, review and if anyone has a solution for a replacement cable availability from a 3rd party.

TIA
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

What year chassis and engine do you have. I have 97 Bounder and get most of my discontinued parts from RockAuto
John58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks John, my signature shows 1997 F53 (Ford).
1997 was the last year for the 7.5L (460ci) engine.

Hopefully someone will have a solution for me because this cable is unavailable from EVERYWHERE I've checked!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Uh Oh, this thread is as quiet as a mouse, does not bode well for a successful solution. If I come up with one on my own, I'll come back and update everyone. Thanks for looking.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My son replaced his with a boat shift cable from West Marine. The info is in the RV and neither of us are close to it now. His cable was "bird caging" near the shift lever. It was on an 92 Airex F53 chassis.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you checked the bracket the cable attaches to at the base of the steering column? The screws tend to come loose and makes it hard to get into the correct gear
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Thanks John, my signature shows 1997 F53 (Ford).
1997 was the last year for the 7.5L (460ci) engine.

Hopefully someone will have a solution for me because this cable is unavailable from EVERYWHERE I've checked!
Look on ebay. Found one there.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pirate,
Did you buy the cable from Carolinatruckgirl out of Charlotte NC?????
I saw that ebay ad but the ad said modifications were needed to make it work. If you used this, can you explain the mod needed?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
rgvtexan...wow that's an interesting solution. If you can share whatever info you have, I'd surely appreciate it.

chboone... yes I checked that bracket while I had the shifter tube out and I even applied a little locktight to the bolts to ensure they didn't come loose. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Sorry, never installed the spare cable. Saw it was discontinued and bought one. Threw in the basement and it went when I sold it. I went back to ebay and all that and couldn't find my receipt from back then. Found this though: FORD F53 F6TZ7E395AA SHIFTER CABLE MOTORHOME CHASSIS 1997 108 INCHES LONG USA

Hopefully that will work for you.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
rgvtexan...wow that's an interesting solution. If you can share whatever info you have, I'd surely appreciate it.

chboone... yes I checked that bracket while I had the shifter tube out and I even applied a little locktight to the bolts to ensure they didn't come loose. Thanks.
Some info

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...les-2013-2.pdf

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c.../c1-xtreme.pdf

GOOD HUNTING!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pirate, yes that is the cable I spotted on ebay and it may just work. Thanks

rgvtexan, thanks for the links, they look promising as well.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I posted on this problem several months ago. Here is the text of my post. I hope it helps you.

I had the same problem with the MH not going into Park. There's a guy in NC that makes duplicate cables. He sells on Ebay. He wants $189/cable. Installation time is 2 to 4 hours according to the transmission shop that just replaced my E4OD tranny. Here's a link to his ad.

Ford F53 F3TZ7E395B Shifter Cable Motor Home Chassis 1990 1996 118 inches Long | eBay

I figured that I could fix mine for a lot less and also less total labor.
I just repaired my shifter cable. Near the transmission, the cable runs through a bracket with Nylon grommets/strain reliefs. The cable sleeve moved thru the grommets affecting positive shift lever position. Also, the plastic piece holding the shift rod/cable had broken. At some time in its wicked past, someone zip-tied all of this together, but zip-ties stretch allowing the cable to move through the grommets.
I made 2 ea 3"x3/4" straps and cut notches to fit the cable diameters. I drilled 1/4" holes on both ends of the straps. I placed one strap over the forward end of the shifter cable and the other strap over the recess on the broken plastic piece to the trans. Using long 10-32 screws, washers and Nylock nuts, I drew the sides together to assure the cable sleeve would not move when shifting gears. I then safety wired the straps to the cables.
Transmission shift lever now has a positive shift into Park and it's a permanent $10 fix. Job done.
Here's a pic
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1456545908

Good luck..
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
AJ, you might be on to something here. I also noticed the locking tab on the cable @ the bracket was not really locking the cable in place. There was some movement. Your picture did not work for some reason. But, if I understand you correctly you clamped on both sides of the cable bracket, locking the cable into position ???? Thanks.