Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #1

Transmission Fluid Level

I dropped my transmission pan, measured 7qts (may be off a half quart). Also changed the filter and gasket.

I measured what came out to be confident in what to put in. My confusion comes in that I didn't do a level check when hot prior to the change. It was up at max when cold.

I put the 7 qts back in and am now trying to check level properly with a hot engine running. I'm having a difficult time seeing the fluid on the white dipstick. I was guessing I was low, so I added an 8th quart. I'm still not seeing anything on the dipstick? What I think I'm seeing is some fluid that's still in the fill tube? Not sure.

Now I'm wondering if I've been low since I bought it? It's always acted right, run cool and the pan appeared new when I dropped it.

Any thoughts?
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Sometimes clear/new ATF IS hard to see on the dip stick.

Be sure you are at the correct operating temperature for checking fluid level.

I use a clean piece of paper towel to slowly move down the dipstick until is gets "wet" to identify the fluid level.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

I hate those corndog dipsticks. I counted one time and I had to dip and wipe 17 times on an F350 one time before I got what I considered to be a legitimate reading. Then of course I had to add a quart and muck it all up so I could do it all over again. If you dip it enough eventually it will wipe off the sides of the tube enough to where you are reading what's in the pan.
If you don't see any on the stick, then it needs more. Best not to overthink it.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas, and sharing the frustration.

I let it sit for a few hours and cool. Here's what the dipstick looks like now. Appears to be full (when cold), but why would the lowest tip of the dipstick be dry? Why is the whole thing so spotty? It's almost like the oil doesn't adhere to the plastic? The engine oil always looks very consistent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5951.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	324088
Old 04-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #5

Because it's just a weird dipstick?
I pulled the rapier of a transmission dipstick out of a 1960's Ford the other day and exclaimed to my buddy: "OMG look! A dipstick I can actually READ!"
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #6

Finally feel like I have an accurate reading. This is hot and running. Going to head out for another quart and add a little at a time until I sneak up on the max line.

Why it wouldn't read this clear yesterday? I don't know... "it's just a weird dipstick"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5952.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	324164
Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the level is in the cross-hatch area its good, mercon lv expands with heat . You cannot get the trans fluid warm enough by idling, you have to drive it at least 20 miles with a lest 3 upshifts if you want to see the correct level.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
If the level is in the cross-hatch area its good, mercon lv expands with heat . You cannot get the trans fluid warm enough by idling, you have to drive it at least 20 miles with a lest 3 upshifts if you want to see the correct level.
Thanks. This reading was after 20 miles of driving.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #9

About Transmission Fluid Level

I changed the transmission Fluid and Filter last year (on my 1999 F-53) and also drained the torque converter (using the small drain plug on the torque converter housing) I wanted to drain as much of the old fluid as possible.. after refilling with specified amount and checking for leaks etc. I drove the coach to get it to operating temperature, then pulled over to recheck it. Took me 3 or 4 times adding another quart at a time before I got it showing on the stick at proper "full" level.... Since then I ran it about 3500 miles with no issues, All O.K. I concluded the amount the amount of "new" fluid the specs tell you to put in must be without draining the torque converter, apparently.. Converter itself must hold several quarts.. So next time, I will know.. Also, the Mercon fluid certainly does expand a great deal when it is warmed.. At the end of a long cruising session is when I pull the dip stick (like at a roadside rest area) Then I can be assured my reading is accurate.. I am thinking about adding a drain plug to the transmission pan next time I change the oil (maybe weld in a section from a salvaged oil pan) since my pan is stamped steel rather than aluminum.. would like to minimize the mess when draining. Always hated these transmissions which were produced with no drain plug ..
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Ragu View Post
I let it sit for a few hours and cool. Here's what the dipstick looks like now. Appears to be full (when cold)
Remember, when checking the level cold you can be off by plus or minus about 6 quarts. So either you're right, overfull, or too low. It's impossible to tell on a cold transmission.

Don't get me started on the dipstick engineer that put a cold mark on the dipstick. It is an absolute meaningless designation.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:26 PM   #11

In my best Bevis / Butthead impression, "He said dipstick engineer"!
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Ragu View Post
I dropped my transmission pan, measured 7qts (may be off a half quart). Also changed the filter and gasket.

I measured what came out to be confident in what to put in. My confusion comes in that I didn't do a level check when hot prior to the change. It was up at max when cold.

I put the 7 qts back in and am now trying to check level properly with a hot engine running. I'm having a difficult time seeing the fluid on the white dipstick. I was guessing I was low, so I added an 8th quart. I'm still not seeing anything on the dipstick? What I think I'm seeing is some fluid that's still in the fill tube? Not sure.

Now I'm wondering if I've been low since I bought it? It's always acted right, run cool and the pan appeared new when I dropped it.

Any thoughts?
(FORD SAYS) 1) DO NOT Overfill; 2) REMOVE extra if you do overfill; 3) DO NOT ADD if level is above MIN; Assuming all because fluid level can vary so much w/ temperature and FOAM/ Overflow if overfilled? Assume many other MFR say similar?
Old 05-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
In my best Bevis / Butthead impression, "He said dipstick engineer"!
I said that because the engineer that did that was a dipstick.

No, I don't know who did it, but that person obviously didn't understand how an automatic transmission works. And they should understand that in order to properly design a dipstick.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #14

Thank you everyone. I am comfortable now with my HOT measurement. However, will continue to monitor on the next few trips. FYI, our 2011 does have a drain plug. So, it will be easy enough to drain some off if I determine it is needed.

Tags
fluid, transmission