Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #85

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I neglected to mention that the diagram sticker is usually on the outer side of the valve cover. Most often on the passenger side. May well be best viewed from outside thru wheelwell above steer tire. Of course a good light and a towel to wipe off dirt is always a plus. Take a picture for easy viewing once back inside coach.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
I neglected to mention that the diagram sticker is usually on the outer side of the valve cover. Most often on the passenger side. May well be best viewed from outside thru wheelwell above steer tire. Of course a good light and a towel to wipe off dirt is always a plus. Take a picture for easy viewing once back inside coach.
When I trace the fuel lines from the tank there are two. The obvious one to feed fuel to the fuel rails. If you look at the image showing the top of the engine, on the right side is a device that has a hose (small) going from it to the air intake. The return line goes to this device. You can see it coming up in this same image. If you look at image showing the passenger side fuel rail, this device is at the bottom of the picture. That is the device I had mentioned earlier that I thought was the throttle body??
You are looking at the right foam colored line. When you run the numbers on it apparently it is listed as the PCV line?? Where it connects to the air intake there is a device held in place by one screw which in my mind is suspect. I understand at this point in the air delivery process, there is lots of vacuum at that point. Since this line goes back to the drivers side valve cover and if this is some kind of check valve, it would act like a huge vacuum leak and pull excess fumes from the valve cover perhaps causing this discoloration. Thoughts?
waggintails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #87

Code2e, By the way, I will try to find that diagram Friday. I am out of town tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggintails View Post
When I trace the fuel lines from the tank there are two. The obvious one to feed fuel to the fuel rails. If you look at the image showing the top of the engine, on the right side is a device that has a hose (small) going from it to the air intake. The return line goes to this device. You can see it coming up in this same image. If you look at image showing the passenger side fuel rail, this device is at the bottom of the picture. That is the device I had mentioned earlier that I thought was the throttle body??
You are looking at the right foam colored line. When you run the numbers on it apparently it is listed as the PCV line?? Where it connects to the air intake there is a device held in place by one screw which in my mind is suspect. I understand at this point in the air delivery process, there is lots of vacuum at that point. Since this line goes back to the drivers side valve cover and if this is some kind of check valve, it would act like a huge vacuum leak and pull excess fumes from the valve cover perhaps causing this discoloration. Thoughts?
I was able to research the device you are referring to on the passenger side with the line from tank going to it. It absolutely is the vapor canister purge valve. Also called EVAP purge valve. Google "Motorcraft CX2360" for a pic of it. So that line is a vapor recovery that allows the engine to burn off fuel vapor and not release it to the atmosphere. A good thing.

Just for your info, the actual throttle body is that aluminum body centered in front of the black plastic oval/square body at rear. It is fed air from the large black plastic tube coming from front.

As for the darkened hose. I could see that being a pcv connector, as it connects to engine intake under vacuum. I can't see where it comes from, but I thought you knew it was from valve cover, which would be correct.

On close view, magnifying the fitting at the black plastic oval/square body, I see what looks like a crack. Vacuum leaks are never good. I would look at that closely. I still think the dark part of the foam covering is a leak. With it likely being a PCV line, there would be crankcase oil vapor passing thru. It is acceptable practice to slit the foam cover in order to inspect the nylon tubing. If no problem found, wrap the foam cover with electrician's tape to close the slit. Any leak is likely centered in the dark area, so only a small slit is needed. The rest of it is just leaching out from small crack.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #89

Has that unit been in a dust storm? There’s an awful lot of dust and dirt in the engine compartment. Need to clean that up, have you checked the air filter? Could be clogged solid.
Chuckge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Pulsing Surging MP3

If you crank up the volume you can hear this pulsing/surging at about 4 seconds and again at 17 seconds. It can be felt in your seat as acceleration and decel, although the effect is not drastic. If we didn't weigh 18000 pounds, I bet it would feel drastic.

Pulsing Surging.mp3

It's hard to capture the sound - it is much louder in person.

Chuck, is this what you are hearing/feeling?
Old 07-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckge View Post
Has that unit been in a dust storm? There’s an awful lot of dust and dirt in the engine compartment. Need to clean that up, have you checked the air filter? Could be clogged solid.
Yep, you are right. If you had read the whole thread you would know that the dirty engine compartment has nothing to do with my maintenance practices.
Chuck
Old 07-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
If you crank up the volume you can hear this pulsing/surging at about 4 seconds and again at 17 seconds. It can be felt in your seat as acceleration and decel, although the effect is not drastic. If we didn't weigh 18000 pounds, I bet it would feel drastic.

Attachment 370457

It's hard to capture the sound - it is much louder in person.

Chuck, is this what you are hearing/feeling?
I could not get any sound at all. The issue on my coach is not a sound but the actual performance.
Chuck
Old 07-08-2022, 09:01 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
I was able to research the device you are referring to on the passenger side with the line from tank going to it. It absolutely is the vapor canister purge valve. Also called EVAP purge valve. Google "Motorcraft CX2360" for a pic of it. So that line is a vapor recovery that allows the engine to burn off fuel vapor and not release it to the atmosphere. A good thing.

Just for your info, the actual throttle body is that aluminum body centered in front of the black plastic oval/square body at rear. It is fed air from the large black plastic tube coming from front.

As for the darkened hose. I could see that being a pcv connector, as it connects to engine intake under vacuum. I can't see where it comes from, but I thought you knew it was from valve cover, which would be correct.

On close view, magnifying the fitting at the black plastic oval/square body, I see what looks like a crack. Vacuum leaks are never good. I would look at that closely. I still think the dark part of the foam covering is a leak. With it likely being a PCV line, there would be crankcase oil vapor passing thru. It is acceptable practice to slit the foam cover in order to inspect the nylon tubing. If no problem found, wrap the foam cover with electrician's tape to close the slit. Any leak is likely centered in the dark area, so only a small slit is needed. The rest of it is just leaching out from small crack.
I pressurized the hose and could find no cracks or leaks. I pealed back the foam covering also. I am going to replace this hose as well as the two devices it connects to. I am assuming one of those is the pcv valve but am still not clear on what the one is going into the throttle body.
Chuck
Old 07-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I pressurized the hose and could find no cracks or leaks. I pealed back the foam covering also. I am going to replace this hose as well as the two devices it connects to. I am assuming one of those is the pcv valve but am still not clear on what the one is going into the throttle body.
Chuck
By pressure testing the pcv line you have verified it's not leaking. The dark stain must have come from outside. I am attaching a picture of your pcv valve, hope it works.

I asked danhannah to send a picture so I could compare the fitting that connects your pcv line to the plenum (the black plastic airbox). Want to see if the crack I suspect is real or not.

I re-read the earlier posts and have a question. When you experienced possible overheat on hill climbs. You said the coolant level was good. Any chance you have checked the level in the radiator itself? I assume you would have been seeing the level in the recovery bottle.

Reason I ask is there is a cylinder head overheat sensor on the engine that can cause the computer to de-power. The lesser known thing about temp sensors is they can't read air temp well. If a cooling system is low, the sensors, being located high in the heads, may be above coolant at times. Radiator needs to be full to the top. If it is low, your radiator cap is suspect as it has to seal to allow siphon back from bottle. Just a possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pcv.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	370511  
Old 07-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
I sent the pics, I hope they help.

Yes, Chuck, I have the performance issue as well, but are you saying you get no surging sound in the motor? Sorry you couldn't hear the mp3.

Can anybody hear it?

The problem is not there at idle, and it also goes away when I floor it going up a hill. This makes me think it is not fuel, and not spark, but some sensor BS or a vacuum leak.

It is worst at about half throttle, slight hill, surging and making a definite wah-wah-wah-wah sound... The coach surges up the hill.

I don't have the staining on the insulated hose that you have, and the vinyl looks pristine inside. I did notice, however, that that hose and a few others and some wiring lie on the hot manifold, that can't be good! I felt along all of them, they seem okay.

I have mine scheduled for diagnostics on July 13th, as I have exhausted all my ideas. I will keep in touch.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
PS I have a P0420 code that is not stored, but is pending. No other codes.

"Catalytic Converter Efficiency"

The cat is new, but is an aftermarket for $1900, Ford had a three month waiting period.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Chuck
Dan Hannah was kind enough to send pics of his V-10. Just one model year before yours. Pics clearly show the fitting I am concerned about. I will attach pic below. Yours appears to be cracked n your pic and I suspect a vacuum leak there. Definitely deserves close look. In light of the pcv line quick disconnect and only one screw, I would remove it to examine. Appears to have part number on it, easy to get new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	370526  
Old 07-11-2022, 07:53 PM   #98

Well, I took the coach into my mechanic this morning so he could diagnose what the heck was going on. Well, as has been the case, no codes showed up. Even on the test drive. Fuel pressure stayed exactly where it was supposed to be and no vacuum leaks. However, my catalytic converter is plugged! He is confident that replacing that bugger will cure all my problems. So now the hunt is on for a good brand of CC. Ford delivery is out 2 months at least. My mechanic has several sources and is working from his end to find one. If we can find a direct replacement he will install it, however, if it needs modifications, he won't do that but will point me in the right direction. Fingers crossed. I am going to go ahead and replace the PCV along with its line and quick disconnects. He thought that was a good idea although he could see no leaks. So, that is where we are. I was really pleased that it wasn't the fuel pump until I heard the price of an OEM catalytic converter. As things progress, or don't, I will keep all informed. Again, thank you all for the continued feedback and suggestions. This is an awesome forum