Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Unbalanced suspension

While I wait on Timbren to respond, I thought I'd ask the experts here about my situation.

I have a 2018 F53 22k chassis under a 2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS. We lean to the passenger side. Springs, shocks, bolts, bushings, connectors, wedges etc. all look good and seem to be 'normal' for this rig. Driving is normal for this rig....we sway, we get blown around, we get crappy mileage, etc. All normal.

I installed Timbrens on the rear both sides and Sumos on the front. Not F53 Sumos, Ford Ranger Sumos...the bump stop kind. Ride improved, we sway less, don't get blown around as much, crappy gas mileage. And the Timbrens both sit on the axle when stationary. So far happy......but.

We still lean. Not as much because the TImbrens do what they are supposed to, but still lean.

My question....I think the right side Timbren now fights not only the suspension/weight lean, but also fights the driver side Timbren. I think the passenger side, as it resists the downward force, is getting some resistance from the driver side because it does not compress. So the passenger side now must overcome the weight/force AND the opposite Timbren.

I am thinking about taking the driver side out to remove that resistence and level the RV. That would make the added support unbalanced on the axle....although the weight on the suspension does not change.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #2

I would rather see the "root cause" addressed by the original suspension.

Tell us your side to side weights front and rear-- this will help take you to the better of the two solutions below.

Obviously, move any of your personal gear you can from heavy to light side.

Basic fixes to the original suspension are:

Adding a leaf to the low side.
Adding a shim to the low side.

I have no issue with you using after market devices to fine tune it, but get the basics correct first.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

Things I left out:

We are under GAWR weight on the axles and under on GCWR. There are no 4 wheel weigh facilities near me (or within 500 miles).

Balancing has been done...what could be moved was moved. CHF has been done in the front. Didn't see the need in the back.

I have money, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something that is basically 'correct' from the factory. Spring pack or spring block is upwards of $1500. Those things add no monetary value and the return on investment is measured in terms of happiness behind the wheel. And I'm not unhappy now....I could live with the $500 improvement I've already made and the lean to the right.

I'm just looking for an opinion on removing the driver side Timbren.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

Adding a leaf or block/shim should be under $500 at an OTR truck suspension shop.

Been there, done that.

And, yes, depending on floor plan, there can be significant side to side imbalances.

Said another way, the interior designers take priority over the engineers in coach layout. Galley slides are the poster child for this. Weight of the slide, appliances, galley storage all on one side, offset on the other side by a table and chairs!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
Things I left out:

We are under GAWR weight on the axles and under on GCWR. There are no 4 wheel weigh facilities near me (or within 500 miles).

Balancing has been done...what could be moved was moved. CHF has been done in the front. Didn't see the need in the back.

I have money, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something that is basically 'correct' from the factory. Spring pack or spring block is upwards of $1500. Those things add no monetary value and the return on investment is measured in terms of happiness behind the wheel. And I'm not unhappy now....I could live with the $500 improvement I've already made and the lean to the right.

I'm just looking for an opinion on removing the driver side Timbren.
I'd do the CHF on the back. It will help the sway.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

Brett, I don't know where you shop, but my 3 phone calls to our local guys were nowhere near $500.

I may have to relook at the CHF in the back.....but I have the sway bar that uses splines in the bolt pack. And I don't have the tools to press them out. I did eyeball swapping sides......

But I didn't feel energetic at the time....
Old 07-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Absolutely do the rears as well. It made an amazing difference in sway control. You might think about chucking the timbrens and the Sumos as well and put air bags on. You can then adjust the amount of air side to side and eliminate the tilt.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #8

Well , as I expected, Timbren does not recommend flying solo. They have seen some handling issues when only 1 spring is installed on an axle.

Going to take a hard look at the CHF in the rear, swapping the 2 rods.

Thanks
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Without knowing the weight on all 4 corners of your MH, you're just blindly throwing money at your problems and hoping it fixes them.

The CHF shouldn't cost anything more than your time and is highly recommended. My MH felt "top heavy" before I did the CHF and now feels great. It made a HUGE difference in handling. I had to follow up by replacing the bushings with the blue polyurethane ones because the originals couldn't take the added loads.

Removing just one side of your TImbrens would surely cause a handling disaster when you needed the most control.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension