Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2022, 05:06 AM   #43

2021 F53 upgrade

2022 F53 fleetwood southwind K35 (2021 chassis). Sumos factory installed. Horrible ride especially bridge transitions. Installed safe-t-plus after 3000 miles. Made huge driving control improvement. Reduces driver fatigue.
jpraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2022, 01:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder47 View Post
I own an ‘17 Bounder 33C;
I added:
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
Upgraded both front and rear anti-sway bars and
Sumo springs to front end
Total installed: $3,155
Game changer, driving is so effortless

Sumo Spring is my next mod.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler01 View Post
I have a 32ft 190wb rig on a 2020 chassis (2021 rig) coming from an f350 pulling a 36ft 5er. First class a and I found the base handling unacceptable (I am in the minority from what I can tell - I have not driven a V10 so can't compare there). Over the first 4 months of ownership and about half a dozen trips in that time, I added a rear trac bar, steering stabilizer, additional rear sway bar (likely not needed except when my stock bracket fell off twice in the first three trips, the secondary allowed me to safely get home), front sumos. I also replaced my steer tires from Goodyear's to toyos. All of them individually made incremental improvements (with the exception of the additional rear sway bar - that wasn't a noticable change). Together they made the rig a tolerable drive for me, but not anywhere near the driveability as my previous setup (probably to be expected). Overall, I have no major issues with the ride now except in winds greater than about 15-20mph or extremely beaten up roads (both at the same time means a very slow drive), one or the other and I am driving 55ish..both and I am down to 50. Fair weather driving with food roads and I cruise between 61 and 68. Towing adds a bit of a different dynamic as well. For the most part it seems to help stabilize the backend more, but on rough pavement and braking on turns can change the handling dynamics. I tried towing once before all the suspension upgrades and after that experience I was ready to sell it. Turns out my stock sway bar bracket had fallen off a second time a few hundred miles after I had it fixed the first time. After fixing it myself, and adding the remaining suspension components, it ties very nicely. As others mentioned liquid springs are something of interest for me, but I need to get this generator shutting off in high heat/humidity issue resolved before I consider dropping 20k more. I have put about 6k miles over 6 months now and am always looking for improvements, but I have also thought about selling and moving to a DP as well. Due to the current market/prices, I will be making due with the f53 for at least a few more years. I will probably add rear sumos in the coming months and upgrade to liquid springs if we can get the generator resolved and decide to keep it long term.
I solved my generator problem by disconnecting the fuel line, clamping it off, and running a spare line into a gas can mixed with "Gumout". Fuel pumps and filter replacement I first tried didn't resolve and neither could the RV dealer. Worth a shot. Thanks for your post on handling.
SonoraSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoraSam View Post
I solved my generator problem by disconnecting the fuel line, clamping it off, and running a spare line into a gas can mixed with "Gumout". Fuel pumps and filter replacement I first tried didn't resolve and neither could the RV dealer. Worth a shot. Thanks for your post on handling.
My generator was shutting off in high temps. I added heat wrap to the fuel line near the engine and it hasn't happened again. I also haven't used when it was quite that hot yet. Fingers crossed.
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:23 PM   #47

Game changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckeda View Post
Curious as to what upgrades owners of the new F53 chassis have made to the suspension....if any.

From the limited data I can access, it seems like the steering stabilizer bar is still needed.

Has anybody upgraded to sumo springs, new shocks, rear stabilizer bar, etc.

Or do you find the stock chassis to be sufficient to eliminate sway...

What about smoothing out the bumps on less than perfect roads?
I’ve got a Bounder 33C. When I drove it off the lot I did not feel safe driving it. Too much play in the steering, passing rigs would blow me out of the lane.
I had a Safe T Plus steering assist added, upgraded front and rear anti-sway bars and and Sumo springs to the front. Unbelievable difference. I can steer with 2 fingers and passing trucks don’t move me.
I spent about $3,500 total installed.
Bounder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder47 View Post
I’ve got a Bounder 33C. When I drove it off the lot I did not feel safe driving it. Too much play in the steering, passing rigs would blow me out of the lane.
I had a Safe T Plus steering assist added, upgraded front and rear anti-sway bars and and Sumo springs to the front. Unbelievable difference. I can steer with 2 fingers and passing trucks don’t move me.
I spent about $3,500 total installed.

I did the same, did you add Sumo Springs for the rear, I'm going to order Sumo for my front, but it will be until next summer before I will do it?
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53, upgrade